/ Synthetic sleeping bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
needvert on 06 Sep 2013
Anyone got any recommendations?

Price isn't too much of a factor. Usage is either:
- Alone
- Layed over the top of a down bag

Between a slight feather allergy (all in all, on colder trips with all general discomfort I don't seem to notice), and the supertopo crowd heavily in the down-shouldn't-be-used-for-bigwall camp, and the warmth of layering, seems not a bad idea.

I'm 6', slim build. Will probably order over the net due to lack of selection here, and massive markups. Though....With the whole array of synthetic fills going under different names (seem to all be polyester?) I'm not sure what to go for.

If I got something as warm as a 400-500g of 800 loft down bag, that would be good warmth.

Any ideas?
needvert on 06 Sep 2013
CH - on 06 Sep 2013
In reply to needvert:

I have a Mountain Hardwear Lamina rated to -7 degrees that I find excellent. The 0 degree one I may be more suitable for layering over a down bag but depends on fit.
KellyKettle - on 06 Sep 2013
In reply to needvert: ME Starlight's are good bags, I've had a starlight IV for years and apart from pack size, I've never found it to be anything but excellent. Roughly speaking, I think it would the Starlight III you'd be looking at.
Dino Dave - on 06 Sep 2013
In reply to needvert: I have a starlight ll and absolutely love it. Can't see the starlight lll and lV bring anything other than brilliant as well. But it's the only synthetic bag I have (except a deuter travelite 250 which will be way too cold) so I can't really compare it I'm afraid
needvert on 06 Sep 2013
Cheers for the replies, starlight looks like a nice bag. A lamina looks to be significantly warmer per unit weight though, weights a key point for my (weak) self.
Owen W-G - on 06 Sep 2013
In reply to needvert:

I'm 6' skinny type too and have the Lamina bag, I think with extreme down to -18!

It was the warmest bag I could find for 100.

Main observation is that it is massive when packed in the bag, about half a rucksack! Matters not if you are camping out the car but you wouldn't want to walk far with it

Observation 2: synthetic is not as nice against the skin as down. Can cling, in a plasticky way, on the skin if too warm. Maybe that is overegging it, it is not totally unpleasant but isn't snug in the way that down is.

However it is obviously very nice and warm on a cold night.

Final observation: it has a wierd wicking effect. The outside of the bag is always covered in moisture in the mornings. The inside is dry but it is still wierd. Might be to do with the external material and the condensation in the tent.

Conclusion: I tend, at this time of year, to use my summer down bag with the Lamina as a blanket, and switch to Lamina only in October+
geordiepie - on 06 Sep 2013
In reply to needvert:

I use an Ajunkilak (Mammut) Kompakt Summer for layering over a down bag, I got the large version to make sure the down wasn't compressed when using with my other bag.

Can't fault it to be honest, the spring version is warmer if that's what you're after.
petestack - on 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:
> Main observation is that it is massive when packed in the bag, about half a rucksack! Matters not if you are camping out the car but you wouldn't want to walk far with it

Note that the Lamina and UltraLamina are not the same. I've got two UltraLaminas (the 15 and the 32), which weigh little and pack tiny (closest thing to down in both cases) and are therefore the only bags I take backpacking (which is what I bought them for). More expensive than the Laminas, though!
gethin_allen on 06 Sep 2013
In reply to needvert:
I'm a touch under 6 foot tall and find my standard length lamina 35 to be just slightly short when I put have the hood done up. This results in cold toes because they are pressed against the bottom of the bag and squashing he loft out of the insulation.
needvert on 07 Sep 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:

Was wondering about regular vs long. Cheers, will go for a long if i get a lamina.
petestack - on 07 Sep 2013
In reply to needvert:

FWIW, I'm 5'11", both my UltraLaminas are the regular length and fine for me. Looks like they now come with single left- or right-handed three-quarter zips where mine have the older ambidextrous twin short ones and 'Thermal.Q' insulation where mine are 'Thermic Micro', so can't be sure you're getting the 'same' thing but guessing pretty close. I've also pretty well given up on the little stuff sacks they came with and prefer to pack/compress straight into drybags by squeezing out the air.
gethin_allen on 07 Sep 2013
In reply to petestack:
I guess it could just be how I sleep when in a sleeping bag, laying on my back so I can breath out of the hood and spreading my weight around. Being skinny and having a thin thermarest means I get pressure points on my hips otherwise.

Although saying this, my bag is a few years old and having just checked the mh website the stated length of the regular size is now 198 cm rather than 180 cm as it was.

Best ignore my previous post and go down your local shop.
needvert on 07 Sep 2013
Mountain Hardwear UltraLamina 15 Sleeping Bag Long on sale for 200USD, I think we have a winner!

I often curl up, or sleep on stomach with toes pointing, and generally move around a lot, so though I could get a regular I think a long will suit me just as well.
needvert on 07 Sep 2013
Sadly local shops don't have much in the way of MHW gear, or non-cheap synthetics. Could feasibly order in but if I'm going to commit to buying it online is easier/faster/more reliable.
ads.ukclimbing.com
stevieweesaxs107 - on 07 Sep 2013
In reply to needvert: if your in need of a Rab Down
Bag 4 season 1550g -12 going cheap give me a shout
Mint cond old made in Sheffield jobs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.