UKC

In search of the optimum solution...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RichJ634 10 Sep 2013
For years now I've been carrying around my olympus 1030sw. It's been fantastically rugged having been carried on multiple watersports and mountain trips with no ill effects. The case is completely dented in but the whole thing is still fully functional. Even survived taking snaps whilst 12m under. The massive drawback, especially by more recent standards is that the image quality is poor.

My photographic aspirations have increased and so I've been on the lookout for a new camera for about two years! Why so long? I wanted something rugged enough but that wouldn't compromise image quality. Size and weight also a secondary consideration.

Even the likes of the FT5 from Panasonic and the olympus tg-2 have significantly worse image quality than their non rugged counterparts, and to be honest I'm looking for something approaching DSLR quality now.

Two relatively new cameras have caught me eye and I'd like some advice.
They are the Olympus OMD EM-5 and the Pentax K-50.

The olympus is smaller and lighter but not sure if it can deliver the same image quality. Also more pricey. The pentax sells itself as the outdoor camera but both are dust and splash proof.

Anyone any experience of these cameras or wish to offer comment? Anything else I should be considering? Is my philosophy flawed...I know these cameras aren't as rugged as the others mentioned in the post...am I better ignoring ruggedness altogether and just making sure I buy a good case. Most good shots would be taken in good weather anyway!?
 Dave 88 10 Sep 2013
In reply to Gob_Stopper:

I've been thinking the exact same thing recently. Not had much luck with advice unfortunately, although Andy K wrote a good piece a few years ago about the FT-5 earlier model, and about the advantages in climbing photography of having waterproof, tough cameras.

http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/blog/view/panasonic_dmc-ft2
OP RichJ634 10 Sep 2013
In reply to Dave 88: that article has made me think I should just get the tg2 or ft5! Well nearly. They're also a lot cheaper.

They still have huge drawbacks though when you're looking for capturing landscapes, for example.
 Dave 88 10 Sep 2013
In reply to Gob_Stopper:

Yeah that's what I thought. His point about a better quality camera not getting used is so true though.
OP RichJ634 10 Sep 2013
In reply to Dave 88: Just to add further undecided ness olympus have just made a press release...http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/olympus-omd-e-m1-flagship-ilc/
 Toerag 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Gob_Stopper: I have an OM-D E5....and a Lumix FT1 so am a bit qualified to answer this one!
I bought the OM-D by chance as a friend was selling it, but I'd already decided my lumix was lacking in one department - it didn't do Aperture priority, so it was essentially impossible to get any sort of shallow depth of field shots. The OM-D gets round that problem, and benefits from some cracking lenses - and let's face it, lenses make the difference when you get over 12Mp. I've only had it 3 weeks so am still learning it, but it's noticeably bigger and heavier than the lumix, but about half the size/weight of a full-frame DSLR. It fits in the map pocket of my waterproof or cargo pocket of trousers with the panasonic 20mm pancake on quite happily. Although it's 'weather-sealed', lenses aren't necessarily, so bear that in mind. The lumix is definitely a 'take on the back of your rack' camera for on-climb shooting though - weather-sealed, no external moving parts like an external zoom, and an easy to clean lens. I think I'll use my OM-D for shots of other climbers and landscapes, but take the lumix on multipitch climbs for shots of my partner and whatever else I can take 'on route'. Battery lasts well on the olympus - with the v1.7 firmware the image stabiliser gyro doesn't spin hard all the time, so I got a 5 day weekend (430 shots) out of it easily the other weekend. Most of the shots in my gallery were taken with the lumix, I've not got any from the OM-D in yet.
 Toerag 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Gob_Stopper: OM-D E5 might be available cheaper now the OM-1 is out as well.
Things the OM-D E5 doesn't do that you might want - timelapse, in camera panorama, in camera HDR, and good continuous AF on things like racing cars. Most of those are available in the OM-1. The free olympus viewer software does panorama stitching, but only from olympus cameras. Seems to work fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...