UKC

Alps in late Sept??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Gordon 10 Sep 2013
I have a couple of weeks in late Sept and having been to the alps many times but never then I wondered what people think of the current summer and whether there is a chance of reasonable conditions on the higher goulotte style routes in a few weeks time?

Many thanks,

JBG

dutybooty 10 Sep 2013
In reply to James Gordon: I went in October last year. Quiet, the huts weren't open (unsure about Sept), we were there a week. Good weather for 3 days, storms for 4.
 dutybooty 10 Sep 2013
In reply to James Gordon: Oh, and route conditions were good.
 Null 11 Sep 2013
In reply to James Gordon:

Best time of year for the Dolomites.
Did most of my "big" routes in Chamonix in September, although closed lifts can be a problem.

DaveAnderson 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Erstwhile: looking for someone to do some 4,000'ers 20-27th sept in Switzerland, anyone up for it?
 Null 13 Sep 2013
In reply to glidesoft:
> (In reply to Erstwhile) looking for someone to do some 4,000'ers 20-27th sept in Switzerland, anyone up for it?

Might have been but for work overload this month (not much better in October, truth be said).

You could try the Powder Beast of Montebelluna, although he has been pretty active of late so might be laying low again. He might know somebody else to try ...
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=9615
 DaveAnderson 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Erstwhile:
Thanks have inquired
T.enClimb 16 Sep 2013
Hi,
i am currently living in Chamonix. I am looking for partners,too. Happy to do most things! So if interested just shoot me a message.

cheers
 Alex Buisse 16 Sep 2013
In reply to James Gordon:

Well, judging by the current state of things and weather forecast, summer is fully over and the fall season has started. Lots of snow up high, and ice has been reported to be fairly fat in the tacul triangle (other than chere). Fil a plomb looked surprisingly fat as well, though of course not climbable yet.

This has the potential to be a very good fall.
 joe.91 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Alex Buisse: excellent I fly off Thursday for two weeks! Do you know whats climbable on the Tacul at the moment ice wise?
 Mark020 18 Sep 2013
In reply to joe.91:

In reply to joe.91:

I was aiming to head that way at the weekend but the hut guardian lady wouldn't take my booking till later in the week cause she reckons you won't get near it for the time being due to the amount of fresh stuff that's fallen/falling (on what looks like pretty strong winds according to the forecast)

Don't think anyone would be up there just now given the forecast but any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Also - are there any mixed routes closer/lower that are likely to have come in?

Cheers,
Mark
 Alex Buisse 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Mark020:

Well, I was up there on Monday, shooting on Arête à Laurence. Ridiculous amount of snow, most of it windblown, lots of slabs all around. We started a small slide just walking down from Aiguille du Midi. And more has fallen yesterday.

You will need a solid few days of good weather for stuff to stabilise, but after that should be good. I wouldn't get near anything up there before beginning of next week if the forecast is right.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...