Starting Out forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - The importance of diverse climbing experience

dl_wraith - on 12 Sep 2013
Perhaps the title here is a little obtuse - let me explain.

I'm a relative beginner (hence the forum this is placed in) although I learned to climb long ago. An enforced break due to a mobility condition saw me away from climbing but recently I've returned and am fighting to improve despide the limitations imposed on me by my condition.

So, that said, here's the question I want to discuss:

Will it improve your climbing significantly if you deliberately expose yourself to differing styles of climbing?

While this question may seem to have an obvious answer I know a few people who stay top-roping or only climb indoors or only boulder and they seem to climb perfectly fine within their chosen discipline. I, on the other hand, started to branch out from indoor tope-roping to bouldering to seconding trad routes to even (gawd help me) attempting easy outdoor solos in the belief that by diversifying my skill-set I may be able to climb around my mobility limitations.

It's very much early days for me so I wanted to ask others on the forum how they felt about the potential gains and pitfalls of trying different styles of climbing when they hadn't yet mastered any given discipline and whether anyone had experience of how trying different styles has helped/hindered their climbing progress.
... not showing 9 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums