/ The walk of shame..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
IainRUK - on 14 Sep 2013
Had one today.. winschoten 50k..

First DNF for a while.. some nerve trouble which occured midweek and I thought was just a one off.. but flared up again. Hoping just periformis syndrome, I've been sat down for the best part of 12 hours a day for the last 2 weeks on a course... as basically my left leg was collapsing slightly chopping my stride.. and then everything was tight down that leg... did the first 20k at 6:10 pace but it was already an issue around 15-16k.. and got worse.. did til 20 miles (but was 7:00+'ing by the end, averaged 6:25 for the 20... so its a decent training run.. then the walk of shame back.. but decided to get sorted if I can for Berlin.. Looked a good race though.

But it may mean the end of Berlin as JFK50 and London marathon can take priority.. shitter of an injury as feel fine normally, just stiff.
gd303uk - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK: I don't know if I totally understand what you are going through but, there should be no shame in you're attempt, you gave it a good go and by the sounds of it didnt give up easy.
next time fella .
IainRUK - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to gd303uk: Its just when you finish, well don't finish, mid loop.. yuou have to walk back down the course.. you have to be confident you know you made the right call. I could have completed, but I was running awkwardly which was straining my IT and hamstrings, and it was raining hard.. so running a slow 50k and getting injured just isn't worth the risk, training wise you don't get too much benefit after 20 so just decided to stop. I almost did carry on.. but then did the walk back for as long as I could take it before cutting off into a park to get back.

Good race tbf, great great support, 5 10k road loops but through estates with parties on, bunting out, even in all that rain.
Mountain Llama on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK: sometimes the hardest decisions are to stop when ur not on top form. No shame in deciding not to run ur self into the ground and make thing worse.

Speedy recovery Davey
steelbru - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Berlin is 2 weeks I think - so you'd be cutting right down now anyway I'm sure. Sometimes an enforced rest can be beneficial. Good luck, hope it all eases off with a massage, rest, etc
Al Evans on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Hey, even Paula has had to do that, and she's a goddess.
coinneach - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Nothing "shameful" about it.

Knowing when to stop is smarter than not.
lost1977 - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

i know what its like when the periformis starts giving you grief and theres no shame at all
IainRUK - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to lost1977: Its more just as I caught it early its not that bad.. so was stood around at the end chatting.. not that tired.. so it looked a joke.. but I'm lay here now still with shooting pains occassionally. It can be serious, but I think I've caught it early. I could have ran a half on it, annoyingly the local 24 k race was on today and I'd have easily won that.. yet went for this 50k..
mikekeswick - on 15 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Shame???
What makes it feel shameful to walk back? Maybe a little too worried about self image there it sounds like to me ;)
Loosen up and just have some fun :)
Maybe the best thing would be to look at what caused it and then address said issue.
Steff - on 15 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Shame? Probably the smart thing to do.
I came within 2 min of missing a cut off last night. Now that would have been some bus ride of shame ;-)
DancingOnRock - on 15 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Unlucky. It's frustrating. I've never DNF yet. Worst was when I was in a half that my brother had enetered. I was hoping for a sub 1:50 and he was looking for a sub 2:00. I went off and at mile 4 had a maigraine. Managed to keep going using peripheral vision to mile 5 then it was run/walk. He passed me at mile 6/7 and I managed to stay with him for a bit. He was worried that he wasn't going to hit his target but I was able to tell him the 2:00 pacer was just ahead so he pushed on and finished under 2:00.

I pushed on and finished in 2:35. Horrible.

Walk of shame? It's not like you did anything wrong, other than maybe entered knowing you possibly weren't fit?
mattrm - on 15 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

No shame in it at all, you're incredibly well trained for it all, doing the massive milage you do. Hope that is doesn't interfere with Berlin at all. Give it a good rest and I'm sure it'll be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.