UKC

The Norwegian mountains get official name

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 16 Sep 2013
Announced at this weekends 'Geologi Dag' the Norwegian mountains; formed during the Caledonian orogeny alongside those in Scotland and in the west coast of America (Appalachians), have been given an official geographical name following an online competition, organised by the Geological Society and Tourist comittee.

The competition criteria was simple:

• The name should have good Norwegian and Scandinavian sound.
• The name should have good international sound - that sound good in English and German is essential.
• The name must refer to the Norwegian and Swedish culture and nature.
• The name should be limited to Norwegian and Swedish area.

So from now on, these mountains running the entire length of the country shall be known as 'Nordryggen'.

This translates to English quite aptly to The North Ridge (or spine... ish)

Quite frankly its about time, they have never had an official name for the mountain chain, which given is longer than the Alps and puts the Pyrenees to shame was a bit silly!

Seven candidates were selected. These were: Eventyrfjella, Jutulryggen, Midgardsfjella, Skandesfjella, Trollfjella and Vikingfjella.

http://www.fjellkjeden.no/nordryggen/
 Doug 16 Sep 2013
In reply to GrendeI: I usually see them called the Scandes in scientific publications - not sure this new name will change that
OP GarethSL 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Doug: That is an unofficial genetic name, though tbf this name is pretty shit.

Most were in favour of 'Skandiafjella or Skandesfjella' which makes much more sense both geologically and geographically.

Whilst I don't know what it will change, I think its a name that will be forgotten pretty quickly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...