UKC

Terra Nova - Superlite Voyager Tent - Unsealed Seams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 16 Sep 2013
Hi,
I note on the TN web site that the seams on this tent are not sealed. A friend has this tent and has not had an issue (and hasn't applied seam sealer). I must admit I'm somewhat against buying a tent that isn't guaranteed waterproof from purchase. Does anyone on here have this tent and did you seal the seams / have any issues?

"Note: Due to the super light nature of the material used in the tents construction we are unable to factory seal the seams in a conventional method. However they are positioned and sewn in a way that minimises water penetration and it's possible to add further protection yourself, with seam sealer, to fully waterproof the tent."
 eschaton 16 Sep 2013
In reply to mp3ferret: might want to consider this one instead - http://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/silnet#10440. it was produced specifically for sil-nylon which is what im pretty sure the voyager fly is made from, as the ordinary mcnetts mix did not stick to that type of material.

crux tents have the same construction, a couple of tubes liberally applied to all the seams should be enough to render it bombproof, just make sure you allow it to fully dry before packing it away (basically ensure you hang the fly with enough space to stop other bits sticking to the mixture).
OP CurlyStevo 16 Sep 2013
In reply to mp3ferret:
Yeah I'm already aware of the mcnett products thanks and I think the correct one for the job is actually this one http://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/silnet#10440

I was actually after experience from people with the tent. I noticed this review http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=91594&v=6h
OP CurlyStevo 16 Sep 2013
In reply to eschaton:
how did you apply it? I hear one strategy is to pitch the tent inside out (if you can)
 martinph78 16 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: I've got the Laser Comp and haven't sealed the seams on that. I've never had it leak and it always seems to be raining when I use it (not often though, I must admit).

I would seal the seams though. TN used to send a tube of sealer out with their tents that needed it, not sure if they still do? I had the regular voyager and it was a cracking tent. Sort of wishing I'd not sold it to be honest as my Laser 1 and Quasar are both good at the extremes, but overkill/under-spec for anything in-between. The Voyager was a good compromise.

OP CurlyStevo 17 Sep 2013
In reply to eschaton:
I had a look in blacks at lunch time and both the blacks own brand and vango siliconised flysheets have taped seams, I refuse to buy any tent that isn't waterproof at point of sale, IMO it's ridiculous.
 galpinos 17 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I bought a TNF Mountain 24 many years ago and was pretty pissed off to find a small tube of sealant in the bag. Yes, it was a quick job for me to do (I pitched the tent with the fly inside out) but for what the tent (should have - I got it on a deal) cost it seemed a cheap short cut.

It has never leaked however, despite having seen some pretty rubish weather, so I shouldn't really complain. The groundsheet is s**t though.
 Simon Caldwell 17 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Just because a tent has sealed seams doesn't mean it won't leak. And vice versa. My Hilleberg doesn't have sealed seams and it's the most reliably watertight tent I've owned.
No idea about the Superlite Voyager though, I've not tried one.
In reply to Toreador: I've had a few Laser tents all leak at the seams especially in wet and windy weather, you've got to ask yourself why the manufacturers don't do it? Its not best of jobs and can be messy if not done correctly and even then....
I'd much rather it was done from New
In reply to galpinos: Can't be Any Sh$tter than my Trango 2
Groundsheet its unmarked no holes barely used and leaks like a teabag! M.h don't want to know had to get SMG to replace the Groundsheet £85 it cost me still Raging.........
In reply to Toreador:
What Hilleberg do you have?
In reply to Toreador:
it seems to leave you in rather an odd position if you never get the tent waterproof, in that I didn't seal the seams properly, a cop out I think!
 NottsRich 17 Sep 2013
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:
> (In reply to galpinos) Can't be Any Sh$tter than my Trango 2
> Groundsheet its unmarked no holes barely used and leaks like a teabag! M.h don't want to know had to get SMG to replace the Groundsheet £85 it cost me still Raging.........

That's odd. Mine is still watertight after quite a lot of use, although I am anal about where I pitch it (unless there's no choice!) Sure it wasn't just condensation? Get that a lot unless the inner vents are all fully open because the inner tent is silicon coated to help waterproofing.

Had to seam seal that as well. Not pleased it wasn't done from new. MH said it was to save money, because for them to do it they'd have to increase the RRP considerably. Bull.

Simon Caldwell 17 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Kaitum 3
 angry pirate 17 Sep 2013
My TN Voyager groundsheet leaked under bodyweight from new. I've used a footprint with it from new for that reason. When I mentioned it to TN recently they told me I should have returned it when it was new but it's too late now.
I'm not sure I buy that the fabric cannot be taped. I suspect it is more that it would cost too much to retool / redesign a machine that has the correct adhesive to tape the new coating.
 alexcollins123 17 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Got the Voyager Superlite and I would recommend you use a groundsheet protector when weight isn't an issue, and I would never use it on less than perfect ground because it is made of tissue paper.

Never had it leak though, be it through the groundsheet or fly, and have used it in really rough conditions, one of which was a very serious storm in the Dolomites with the heaviest rain I have ever seen, let alone camped in!

Really good tent actually!!
In reply to NottsRich:
I recon I must have the best condition Trango 2 in the UK,if not the planet . Not a mark on it camped in Glen Etive few months back I swear my Neoair was floating its totally goosed
M.h have admitted There was a fault on some I've to produce a receipt for an 11 year old tent, yet changed my mates trango
With same fault and never asked him for a Receipt love the tent
So had to pay up to Salvage it
ice.solo 17 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

BD do the same with a few of their tents (single skin alpine ones, so maybe some differences).

its really not that big a deal. put some music on, use a syringe and small paint brush to apply the silnet and it only take about an hour.
personally, i think liquid sealer when done properly is better than tape anyway, also you can bomb out any weakspots like corners, guy attachments etc while youre at it.
for what its worth, theres a small movement of folks getting custom gear and sealing it themselves because they prefer the performance of liquid sealer over tape.

this tent i dont have, but have done 2 BD tents and not found them to leak even after several seasons use. one tent i re-did a section after a guy attachment was torn out (including sewing it back in again) and it doesnt leak either.

yeah, there are better ways to spend your time, but some gear cant be done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...