UKC

Petzl Ice Screw Sharpening tool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Piers Harley 17 Sep 2013
I remember reading somewhere that Petzl are launching a hand held Ice Screw sharpening tool? Does anyone know any more about its availability etc??
 Martin W 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Piers Harley: It's called the Lim'Ice. Review and video here: http://blog.urbanrock.com/2013/07/petzl-limice-ice-screw-sharpener-review/

Now all you have to do is find in stock somewhere. (Lyon Equipment should be able to advise.)
 CurlyStevo 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Piers Harley:
I'd be interested to know how it fairs on very blunted screws
 TobyA 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin W: Having for years just sharpened my screws with a file, I'm a bit sceptical about the need for complex sharpening systems; but that widget looks good. Simple and probably won't be ridiculously expensive.

I do wonder though if it will only work on new-ish screws where the over all tooth shape is virtually unchanged rather than on rather old self sharpened screws where the underside of the tooth tends to go from a concave 'overhang' to just vertical.
 CurlyStevo 17 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
Mine are self sharpened and still maintain the original shape (just takes a bit more attention to detail)

This article is good.
http://www.adventure-science.com/files/Ice%20Screw%20Sharpening%20Procedure...
 CurlyStevo 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin W:
it sounds like it may only work on petzl screws due to the notches

"To accompany the new ice screw collection, Petzl created the LIM'ICE sharpening tool offering a quick and easy way to sharpen your screws all by yourself. Dual sharpening guides use the self cleaning notches to lock in the screw for a more precise sharpening on both sides of the screw teeth. "

http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gearcaster/2013/01/petzl-laser-speed-ice-s...

(see notches here)
http://www.thegearcaster.com/.a/6a01156f7533eb970c017c363ea168970b-pi
 Martin W 17 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: The Urban Rock article does state: "Finally, the Lim’ice will also sharpen Black Diamond, Grivel and DMM Ice Screws. Basically any ice screw with the same configuration as the new Petzl Laser Speed Ice Screws." Of course they could be mistaken/lying. Again, I'd expect Lyon Equipment to be able to offer definitive advice.
In reply to Martin W:
> Now all you have to do is find in stock somewhere. (Lyon Equipment should be able to advise.)

It's not available yet but should be in the shops this winter.

This was on demo, along with their new lightweight screws, at this year's ice climbing festival in Rjukan and I gave it a try. I thought it was a great tool that worked well.

I'm not sure if they are available yet, however. I've not seen them in stock anywhere.
matejn 17 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:I was asking Petzl dealer for my country about this and he assured me that indeed you can sharpen BD and Grivel screws with it. He also stated that " half the screws in my region" have been already sharpened while testing the first piece that arrived.
 Hay 17 Sep 2013
In reply to matejn:
That is my understanding also.
It is not in stock with my shop yet but expecting it for this winter.
Will be interested as have sharpened hundreds of screws with grivel machine and dozens by hand. It will make a big difference to UK climbers to have sharp screws. Some of the screws handed in for sharpening have been as blunt as a poker.
 CurlyStevo 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Hay:
I got a load of my very blunted screws sharpened by the grivel machine and they came back with very short points. When I sharpen them by hand I can maintain the point length by fileing all the edges (and troughs) not just the sharp one.
 Hay 17 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
I guess it depends who is running the machine. It is also set for the grivel tooth angle ... That means BD screws will lose a bit of tooth length.
The tooth length does help stick the screw but it is the leading edge that cuts. The grivel machine is very good at that bit.
 AdCo82 17 Sep 2013

Cotswold outdoors have them on their website.
 AlH 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Piers Harley: Not sure when it arrives but I used a sample on some blunt BD Express last winter to good effect. Simple, effective, good value compared to buying new ones every season.
 Doghouse 17 Sep 2013
In reply to AlH:

Apart from bottoming out how blunt do screws get just being placed into ice? I certainly wouldn't have thought you'd have to change them every season?
 TobyA 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Doghouse:

> Apart from bottoming out

That's the problem.

> how blunt do screws get just being placed into ice?

They don't.
 AlH 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Doghouse: I like nice sharp screws. Using them a great deal here in Scotland its very easy to bottom them out even with care (especially giving them to students and that blunts them.
 Hay 18 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
I've often had to knock a plug of dry muck out of customers screws before sharpening them...
 CurlyStevo 18 Sep 2013
In reply to AlH:
"buying new ones every season."

Does anyone do this? Hand sharpening mine takes an evening every autumn
 Gazlynn 18 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Obviously depends on usage.

I'm sure Alan would use his a lot more than I would use mine so would maybe warrant new screws every season.

I'm the same as you though a DIY job with my cheap file set from b & q and some wire wool.

cheers

Gaz

TobyA 18 Sep 2013
In reply to AlH:
> Using them a great deal here in Scotland its very easy to bottom them out even with care

Same where I climb, we climb a lot of thin ice, where particularly early season you'll be looking for areas where a whole screw is likely to go in, yet normally ice screws are the only pro so you don't have much choice.

You touch the rock enough that I often take my file to the cliff with me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...