UKC

dx extreme bike lights. what have you got ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 17 Sep 2013
ive got too sets of "900 lumen" lights. one on the bars, one on my helmet. having done 4 winters of fairly regular use,towards the end of last winter my batteries were starting to be un relaible. i m more then happy with this as they were the first generation direct from hong kong and were cheap as chips . i think the boxes still said magic shine on them. anyway i just looked at dx extreme and the choice is now huge. when i got mine there was no choice.
So : which ones have you got ? are you happy with them ?
i half thought about getting some hope lights but cant justify the expense.
 Blinder 17 Sep 2013
In reply to mike123: we are an Exposure family. No cables no fuss. Buy cheap buy twice. Love them, but cheap they are not.
 existing debt 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Blinder:

Have bought the 2200 lumen magic shine, used around 6 times so far, super bright light on full wack, nice neat head unit, battery pack is a bit of a monster.

I found that I could place the battery pack into my bottle cage on the road and then neatly wrap the cable up the seat tube and along the top tube.

on the mountain bike, I place the battery as low down the down tube as I can to keep the weight low

for £150, its a steal.

exposure are great lights, but anything with 1600 lumens plus is 1.very expensive and 2. its two big to sit on your bars.

itsThere 17 Sep 2013
In reply to mike123: I have a magic shine light, very happy with it. The lithium batteries wont last forever. See if you can just buy a new set. I think its open light systems that makes them.

http://www.open-light.co.uk/index.php
 existing debt 17 Sep 2013
In reply to itsThere: thanks, good link as I was thinking about another battery...a lot cheaper than the MS site
OP mike123 17 Sep 2013
In reply to itsThere: Thanks all . Open light link looks useful . I just ordered a couple of new lights from dx . 900 lumens , with batteries , just under £20 each . What's not to like .
 DaveHK 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Blinder:
> (In reply to mike123) we are an Exposure family. No cables no fuss. Buy cheap buy twice. Love them, but cheap they are not.

Bit of post purchase rationalisation going on there?
 bigdrew 17 Sep 2013
In reply to mike123:

Can't post a link but Ebay search "Fluxient battery" and that is what I have. Completely waterproof, last longer than the originals and cost £30

For a complete set up this would be my choice now: http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/the-lumenator/

Chinese versions can be found for 45 - 50, but batteries, switches and support wont be as good - and you will have to wait for them.
 Radioactiveman 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Blinder:

Me too. Cables are a faff. Nice to be able to take my pack off without my head getting pulled off.

Also need the long burn times that the premium products offer
 Blinder 17 Sep 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
> (In reply to Blinder)
>
> Bit of post purchase rationalisation going on there?

Not really, just back from a ride was not sure how long I would be out so took a 1000 lumen light with me a 5 sec job to clip to Handel bars. Last two hours in the dark,so glad I brought a light. Not sure i would have bothered if I had to gaff with Velcro and battery packs.

Also my brother was using 10 year old exposure lights on an almost daily basis. As I said buy cheap buy twice.
 MikeSP 18 Sep 2013
In reply to mike123:
I would recommend Ay Up. I'm not sure how bright they are but I have never had a problem (even doing DH). You can also get a mount to turn it into a ridiculously bright head torch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...