UKC

Arapiles in November - too hot? (australia)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xav 18 Sep 2013
Hello hello,

Has anyone been to the Arapiles in mid Novemeber? (they are in Australia). I was wondering if it would be too hot to climb / would I have to search out shady routes? The annual weather records seem to show an average daily high of 25 degrees for the month of Novemeber. Thanks for your help!
 duchessofmalfi 18 Sep 2013
IIRC people were cowering under tarps trying to escape the sun by last December but then it was supposed to be exceptionally hot last year...
 PaulTanton 18 Sep 2013
November should be fine. February is the hottest month with temps in the upper 30s to 40 degrees. The Right Side of the Central Gully is generally shaded in the afternoon, but there are loads of other narrow/shaded gullies to climb in. It's also well worth going to the Grampians. It's not much higher or cooler but a great place to climb. Also it can be much quieter at the weekends. If it is too hot try and get to Mt Buffalo. High up so cooler. You will need a warm sleeping bag. Buffalo is very rough granite so get some tape for your hands. It’s a bit like a smaller version of Tuolemne Meadow.

Good luck. Wish I was going.
 elliptic 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Xav:

That sounds about right for temperatures. Should be a good time to go, spring season with plenty of other people around. If it does get hot there are lots of excellent routes up in the shady gullies. It'll be fine once you've acclimatised.

I actually had a couple of long stays there in the early 90's (May/June and October to early Feb). You wouldn't want go in full summer but conversely the winter season is actually quite grey and chilly. When I was there in autumn most of the in-situ Aussie locals had packed up and gone by the end of May.
 fullastern 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Xav: Nov is good. Weather can be quite variable and ten deg temperature changes from one day to the next are common, but this is good as it opens up all the routes at some point.
 jon 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Xav:

As others have said, it can vary. I've been twice in November - first time just right to a bit on the hot side, the second time was cold and rainy.
 Solaris 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Xav:
Bear in mind that the average daily summer temperature in London is 22C: as others have said, it could easily be much hotter at Araps than the daily average suggests... Or colder.

If you do decide to visit the Grampians - which I'd say is a good idea - then Summer Day Valley near Mount Zero is one of the nearest places and it has a very good range of routes, quite of few of which can be in the shade most of the time.
OP Xav 18 Sep 2013
Thanks a lot for the advice people - much appreciated. Cant wait to get there!
 Mehmet Karatay 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Xav:

I was there last November and it was amazing. The temperature was okay. Shade was pleasant but not essential.

The temperature did appear to depend on wind direction in Victoria. Before we arrived at Arapilies there were southerly winds which seemed very cold (relatively speaking, of course) when out of the sun. When we were at Arapilies the wind changed to a northerly direction, bringing some of the desert heat with it.

As you don't have to worry about the weather enforcing rest days, I'd highly recommend a 3-day cycle if you're out there for any length of time. A day of easy milage, followed by a hard day then a rest day keeps your skin fresh and your energy levels up. A lot of the climbers at the Pines seemed to be following this philosophy. I wasn't there long enough to put it to the test, but it's worked for me in Font.

I'd love to go back when I get the chance.

Mehmet
 Lurking Dave 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Xav: perfect timing, just check public holidays... The race that stops the nation is so named 'cos...

Cheers
LD
 PaulTanton 19 Sep 2013
Yep Summerday Valley is good. Soweto (21) is one of the best E2,s I done anywhere. Unfortunately it's popular with top ropers at the weekends, but well worth waiting till it's quiet.
 MikeTS 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Xav:

Araps is a set of crags. So there is a system for moving around during the day to stay mainly in the shade. Ask any local.
 UKC Forums 19 Sep 2013
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Rock Destinations
Rock climbing destinations Q&As. Interested in visiting a new rock climbing area? Having difficulties finding information? You are almost guaranteed that someone here will have been and can give you some pointers. It might be sun rock in Sardinia or sport routes in Switzerland. Where to stay, when to go, what routes to do.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
freesolo 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Xav:

a tarp is essential in araps. to stop the cold wind (possible) and give you some shade (necessary) in november. or if you are going to have a car, just buy a cheap 50 dollar family tent when you get to oz that has a very big vestibule for cooking and such.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...