/ Alternative to 3 peaks national challenge
I'd like to find an alternative, but it would need to:
- sound sexy: Yorkshire three peaks would be a good alternative in my opinion, but unfortunately the peaks are almost unheard of for un-british people. Poor guys, I know. So something including Ben Nevis or Snowdon would be ideal
- include at least 2 peaks because "Ben Nevis is only a big hill really" (he's from the Alps)
- not involve pointless travels. Going there is fine but I don't want to spend a night sailing from Ben Nevis to Cuillin ridge or something silly like that
- the difficulty is secondary, but the maximum level should be something like the Yorkshire 3 peaks I reckon
- not include any joke about cheese, surrender monkeys or wine made with antifreeze. That will be the hard part.
Round the Grey Corries?
I'd have a look on the LDWA website for more challenging ideas
Cuillin ridge would be also an immediate choice for me, but once again it lacks fame abroad
Wels Kate: Welsh 3000ers are a bit too long I think. Maybe over 3 days...
Ah, I just read your post in full*. The Big Hex is probably a bit harder than you're looking for, but I'll leave the post up incase it inspires anyone else.
*It's a bit late and I'm tired.
> Cuillin ridge would be also an immediate choice for me, but once again it lacks fame abroad
He's asking you to show him the best of Britain, not Britain's Got Talent. Why does it matter if he's heard of it?
I'll try some subtle propaganda to wedge the idea in his inferior brain though.
In other words if you try to have a fan of Masterchef to watch QI, he might end up watching Grand Designs.
Thanks all for the great ideas, if it is not useful for him, it is certainly for me.
what about this one? to top it off he could try some of the local wine.
I guess this suggestion doesn't fit couple of your conditions, (travelling and difficulties) but I've often thought an alternative to the 24hrs/3 peaks challenge should be the three ridges challenge. Aonach Eagach, Striding Edge, (or Sharp Edge if you prefer) and Grib Goch.
Its prob been done already tho.
My vote to impress your French mate would be a trip over the Aonach Eagach Ridge
O.K. so you need to put a twist on what he already knows. So stick with the Ben but sell him the idea of scrambling/climbing all the great ridges in a day; Castle, Tower, Observatory and North East buttress.
I am assuming that your both fit and being French were born with a natural flair for mountain enchainments.
Ben Nevis CMD route
Glen Coe Annoach Aegach Ridge (Is that spelt right?) supposedly the best ridge walk / scramble in UK if you get the weather.
Elsewhere on the site
The release of Peter Jackson's new film The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies on 12th December may not appear to link to... Read more
Tonight's Friday Night Video features the Norwegian town of Rjukan, once believed to be the home of the world's tallest... Read more
Perhaps the perfect Xmas gift for the climber in your life... Wild Country's Crack School has two of the worlds best crack... Read more
F ounded in 1993, Mountain Hardwear are a pretty young mountaineering clothing and equipment manufacturer but are also one of... Read more
Rock shoes stink – let’s face it. Boot Bananas are the perfect way to fight the funk and keep them fresh. They help... Read more