/ Alternative to 3 peaks national challenge
I'd like to find an alternative, but it would need to:
- sound sexy: Yorkshire three peaks would be a good alternative in my opinion, but unfortunately the peaks are almost unheard of for un-british people. Poor guys, I know. So something including Ben Nevis or Snowdon would be ideal
- include at least 2 peaks because "Ben Nevis is only a big hill really" (he's from the Alps)
- not involve pointless travels. Going there is fine but I don't want to spend a night sailing from Ben Nevis to Cuillin ridge or something silly like that
- the difficulty is secondary, but the maximum level should be something like the Yorkshire 3 peaks I reckon
- not include any joke about cheese, surrender monkeys or wine made with antifreeze. That will be the hard part.
Round the Grey Corries?
I'd have a look on the LDWA website for more challenging ideas
Cuillin ridge would be also an immediate choice for me, but once again it lacks fame abroad
Wels Kate: Welsh 3000ers are a bit too long I think. Maybe over 3 days...
Ah, I just read your post in full*. The Big Hex is probably a bit harder than you're looking for, but I'll leave the post up incase it inspires anyone else.
*It's a bit late and I'm tired.
> Cuillin ridge would be also an immediate choice for me, but once again it lacks fame abroad
He's asking you to show him the best of Britain, not Britain's Got Talent. Why does it matter if he's heard of it?
I'll try some subtle propaganda to wedge the idea in his inferior brain though.
In other words if you try to have a fan of Masterchef to watch QI, he might end up watching Grand Designs.
Thanks all for the great ideas, if it is not useful for him, it is certainly for me.
what about this one? to top it off he could try some of the local wine.
I guess this suggestion doesn't fit couple of your conditions, (travelling and difficulties) but I've often thought an alternative to the 24hrs/3 peaks challenge should be the three ridges challenge. Aonach Eagach, Striding Edge, (or Sharp Edge if you prefer) and Grib Goch.
Its prob been done already tho.
My vote to impress your French mate would be a trip over the Aonach Eagach Ridge
O.K. so you need to put a twist on what he already knows. So stick with the Ben but sell him the idea of scrambling/climbing all the great ridges in a day; Castle, Tower, Observatory and North East buttress.
I am assuming that your both fit and being French were born with a natural flair for mountain enchainments.
Ben Nevis CMD route
Glen Coe Annoach Aegach Ridge (Is that spelt right?) supposedly the best ridge walk / scramble in UK if you get the weather.
Elsewhere on the site
Backpackers want an extremely liveable and lightweight tent at good price. MSR answers the call with the Elixir 2 tent and... Read more
The Kendal Mountain Festival 2014 proved once again to be a busy and inspiring four days of films, photos, music, art... Read more
2012 saw the release of the beautiful first volume of definitive Yorkshire Gritstone climbing, produced by the YMC with Robin... Read more
If asked to name a British female climber who stood out at a time when British women's climbing wasn't... Read more
The Women's Mountain Equipment Cho Oyu Jacket is the perfect choice for female mountaineers an explorers who... Read more