UKC

Aldi heads-up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 19 Sep 2013
Next thursday the 26th....dont confuse with today which is a babycare special

Perfect timing to get those merino baselayers and winter cycling jackets for a song
 Steve John B 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono: https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-26th-september/

I've got a pair of the laces'n'velcro cycling shoes from a couple of years ago - they do the job with spd's but calling them "stylish" is a bit optimistic
 ebygomm 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:

At my local aldi all the cycling stuff is now in the reduced section from the last time they had a biking special on
 Ridge 19 Sep 2013
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to Kimono)
>
> At my local aldi all the cycling stuff is now in the reduced section from the last time they had a biking special on

It is in mine, but who'd want to buy a XXXL men's 'commuter jacket' in black with a flappy hi-viz thing that sticks out of the bum, a pair of XS nylon chaps that make you look like a cheap version of the village people and don't keep the rain off, a wire basket for the handlebar without the mountings and a single size 5 cycling shoe?

I suspect when I call in after work next Thursday the aisle will look like it's been shelled by the Syrian Army and anything that fits anyone bigger than a 4 year old or smaller than a pregnant hippo will be long gone.
 AlisonSmiles 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:

I love their winter trousers. Whoop. And water repellant socks and and and ... ...
andy guppy 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:
Chav's :]
OP Kimono 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:
I shall be at the Wrexham branch at precisely 8am:

Waterproof socks as Alison says
Merino top
Winter jacket
Long sleeved jersey
 Steve John B 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono: Anyone tried the overshoes?
 FrankBooth 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to Kimono) Anyone tried the overshoes?

Yes, I bought a pair. They're okay but the £10 I neoprene ones I got from Decathlon are much better. The aldi ones are quite thin and within a couple of rides a hole had rubbed through underneath.
I've bought lots of their stuff over the years:
Winter softshell - try before you buy! The one I bought two years ago is fantastic - great fit and very hardwearing. Last year they brought one out with zip-off sleeves that's baggy/flappy. No where near as good.
Knee warmers - pretty rubbish to be honest! Kept slipping down.
winter bibs fantastic value and a good fit (for me at least). Really good quality material and comfortable on long rides (60+ miles)
MTB shoes - good for £20, but quite heavy. Only accept 2 bolt SPDs
Winter gloves again, fantastic value at £5. Read all through the worst of last year's winter in these. They balance water repellence and breathability and fit really well.
Winter shirt - I found these a bit baggy and perhaps too long at the back (keeps catching on my saddle when I've got lots of stuff in the pockets)
socks basic, comfortable, and a fraction of the price I've paid for branded stuff
OP Kimono 20 Sep 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:
nice review Frank...thanks
In reply to Steve John B:

Another vote for the overshoes. I generally buy a couple of pairs each year - on the basis that they are going to get holes in the toes after a couple of months, and once they get really manky you can just chuck them in the bin. I've had more expensive overshoes, but they also get holes in them quite easily, and your feet don't stay any drier or warmer than with the Aldi ones.
The zips in last years models were better than in previous years - and I've still got one unused pair of them from last winter.
Removed User 20 Sep 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:
I used that softshell all last winter for the commute and it was excellent. It was the one without removable sleeves the same as what is advertised there, bought it this time last year. Socks, aye you're not wrong there again, as with the gloves.

Would recommend the stuff.
 AlisonSmiles 20 Sep 2013
In reply to andy guppy:

> Chav's :]

Hey, I resemble that comment!

Si Withington 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:

Oooh... bicycle spoke reflectors! 21st Century Spokey Dokeys! >> https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-26th-september/product-detai...
 HIGHTOWER 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:
Anyone tried the tool kit?
 gethin_allen 26 Sep 2013
In reply to HIGHTOWER:
Had a look at the tool kit while I was there picking up a merino top today.
It did have a few useful bits in it like a cassette removing tool and chain whip along with other bits like a chain link breaker, old style shimano BB remover, and allen key set, square taper cotterless crank extractor.
The quality wasn't great but probably not bad if you just do the odd job and haven't got the latest gear that requires newer tools.
 LastBoyScout 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:

Bought one of the soft shell jackets, a pair of socks and some spoke reflectors for my hack bike.

Debated about the leg warmers and decided against for now, shoe covers looked way too wide on the ankles for me and the rain jacket was too tight across my shoulders - next size up would have been too baggy.

Might go back for another rummage tomorrow - I was pushed for time at lunch today.
 gethin_allen 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:
Just tried on the "merino" wool base layer I bought this morning. Not impressed really, it's anywhere near the quality of trekmates stuff let alone smartwool or icebreaker.
I was hoping it was going to be as good as the former. Also, the cut isn't great, the chest it ok but the arms are too short and the waist is too baggy.
 stewieatb 26 Sep 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:

I got one of the merino mid-layers. It's actually only 30% wool, and the rest is acrylic so it's a bit itchy/staticy. Fit isn't bad though, even though it's too big for me (no men's small!) Can't see myself wearing it for bike rides though, more likely for coxing.
 Wile E. Coyote 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono: Just got back from Aldi with the following:-

The Men's cycling shirt (jersey) - Medium
Base layer top - Medium (not the Merino one)
Winter Leggings - Medium
Puncture repair kit
Bread
and some white choc chip cookies

all for under 40 notes.

All the clothing is a perfect fit, the base layer hugs all parts of the body (no bagginess at all), the jersey is great -silicone grip around the bottom and the sleeves are fine, not to long or short.
Leggings are sound.

The rest I haven't tried yet - looking forward to the cookies with some Breaking Bad tonight though.
 deepsoup 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:
I've bought one of the heart rate monitors and it's really very good indeed.
 colina 26 Sep 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to Kimono)
> Just tried on the "merino" wool base layer I bought this morning. Also, the cut isn't great, the chest it ok but the arms are too short and the waist is too baggy.

maybe its you ....you may be an odd shape!

OP Kimono 26 Sep 2013
In reply to colina:
indeed...mine seems to fit and im pleased to say that i am a very normal shape
 gethin_allen 26 Sep 2013
In reply to colina:
Could be, being naturally skinny but into climbing and cycling I have largish shoulders and big thighs. But my ape index is 0.98 so at least the sleaves should be long enough.
And anyhow, I thought this gear is supposed to be targeted to "athletic types" that I'd like to consider myself to be.
In reply to Kimono:

Lady Starkness was very pleased with her new cycling shoes and winter cycling trousers.
 Richard Carter 27 Sep 2013
Are the winter leggings any good?
Are they just longer than shorts, or is there anything else about them that makes them "winter" leggings? Also, are they padded?

Debating where I can be bothered to go drive to ALDI :-P
 ripper 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: the ones I bought a couple of years ago are significantly thicker and toastier than shorts, with heavier fabric on the front panels so they're virtually windproof, and yes they're padded. I like 'em.
 Hat Dude 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:

The micro LED lights at £2.99 are great for if it gets a bit murky on a ride or emergency back up. Cheap enough to have several sets scattered around on different bikes.

Gloves are exceptional value

Richard Carter 27 Sep 2013
In reply to ripper:

Ah right, good to know cheers. Now we'll just see if they have any when I go in later! I have a 28" waist so they might not have any in my size anyway (small I assume).
In reply to Kimono:

Got a winter jersey for me an the missus (not the same colour I add) and while her small ladies is pretty much a perfect fit being skin tight and the correct length etc. The mens medium is a bit too baggy for me, especially in the arms - thinking I'll go and get a small but being 6ft and 70Kgs I can't get my head around being "small" in anything other than US "fat guy" sizes!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...