UKC

Diabetics - feedback on Ypsomed/Insulet "Pod" tubeless pump?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jlury 19 Sep 2013
Hi, Calling Insulin dependent Dibetics who are active in the mountains/crags: Can anybody give me any feedback on using the Ypsomed/Insulet "Pod" pump for Climbing/Mountaineering or general use? I have been using an animas 2020 pump with tubing for 7 years so I'm used to using it with a rucsac/climbing harness/ layers of clothing etc. But now I am considering changing to a "Pod", but dont know whether it will be OK for mountain/crag use (e.g. will the pod be scraped off by straps and harness, does the pod stick well in sweaty conditions etc).

many thanks for any advice
Jon
 Cake 19 Sep 2013
In reply to jlury:
Hi,

My three year old daughter has one, so while she doesn't fit your category at all, she is certainly very active!

As she is so small, she always wears it on her bum at the moment. It does malfunction (gets blocked, canula gets bent) sometimes when she really bangs it like falling over on the pump or jumping on it, but not enough for us to really worry. I would have thought that on an adult a convenient place could be found that would not get large forces on it. Many times we have thought 'oh, it's definitely going to malfunction after that' and it has been fine. The other good thing is that it usually beeps very quickly if the insulin is not going in properly.

As to sweat, I don't think it has had an effect this summer. A good soak in a swimming pool is the kind of thing that can do it, but not necessarily.

Cake
P.S. I'd be interested in whether aspects of diabetes have held you back with climbing at all
 Iain Peters 19 Sep 2013
In reply to jlury:

David Hillebrandt, who I climb with regularly both home and abroad is the hon. medical advisor to the BMC and also a diabetic, can probably give you the best advice. He has posted on here so suggest you email him via UKC. Hope this helps.
OP jlury 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Cake: Hi Cake,
Diabetes has not held me back with climbing in UK and alps, but I have only climbed at a low standard. I have done some mountaineering and backpacking on my own so I feel like a person with diabetes can be independent. As you know from your daughter, there are technical challenges, and it can be really hard work/annoying, but you find ways around. I think that most diabetics run high intentionally when they are doing sports because it is easier and safer/avoids hypos for short periods of time. I have found that different people with diabetes often experience different symptoms so dont be worried if your daughter has different experiences to others. I imagine that an involved parent is a huge bonus for a child with diabetes - so your daughter is lucky!
 Cake 19 Sep 2013
In reply to jlury:
Thank you. That was useful information. So you have figured out how to manage big days in the mountains then?

Having said all that stuff about how the pump is resistant to knocks, I should warn you that the pumps fail and need replacing probably about once every two to three weeks. Perhaps newer models will improve.

Cake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...