/ Lowe Alpines new clothing range....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
robatkinson - on 20 Sep 2013
Just saw their new line of clothing and im a little dissapointed,

I know they are essentially owned by the same people that own Rab and probably want to aim at a slightly different market than rab but their new stuff just seems a bit bland and boring, and on the basis they went out of business previously because there stuff got a little boring you might have thought Equip might have reinvented lowe alpine and made it along the same line of Lowe Alpine sacks, cutting edge, dare i say it exciting.

I'm no expert but it just looks a bit safe and boring.

Im sure they are over a million people who'll disagree with me though

davidbeynon - on 20 Sep 2013
In reply to robatkinson:

Are danger and excitement what you want from clothing?
robatkinson - on 20 Sep 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: Not Danger, just new. Nothing seems new with what they've produced really, and compared to most other UK clothing manufacturers around a similar price point to lowe alpine, lowe's stuff seems to be nothing new.
In reply to robatkinson: They're using some different materials to other people. 10 years ago many people thought triplepoint ceramic was as good or better than goretex. No idea what the new stuff is like but having more choice is never a bad thing
AlH - on 20 Sep 2013
In reply to robatkinson: Where you see boring I see simple. I want a jacket that's no frills and functional and I see that in their range. I want trousers that aren't cut for an emaciated French Guide so I'll be interested to see how their sizing goes and the fabric is their sales point. The only really old jacket I still use is a vey old Lowe Triplepoint Jacket for MTB. I'll be interested to compare it to Gore's latest offerings.
HB1 - on 20 Sep 2013
In reply to robatkinson: I notice the picture of your(?) Landrover. They've not changed a great deal because they do the business. I still rate my old LA triplepoint ceramic jacket because it too does the business!
davidbeynon - on 20 Sep 2013
In reply to HB1:

I still haven't managed to find a proper replacement for my old triplepoint. Got a jacket a year or so ago that looked as though it might do the business, but it started falling to bits almost immediately.
robatkinson - on 20 Sep 2013
In reply to robatkinson:

I worked a bit in the outdoor trade and when people mentioned the downfall of lowe alpine it was said that a lack of R and D was partly to blame, proven partly by the fact that their rucksack business survived and remained profitable, because their designs were constantly updated and remained cutting edge. I just expected (wrongly probably) that when Lowe Alpine were bought and their new clothing range released that there would have been a real effort to reinvent the brand and offer something new.

P.s their fabric has been proved to be excellent, and is a real feather in their cap but again i hope they are attempting to develop that too. (as Toby A stated they do have some new fabrics so this may well be the case anyway)

August West on 21 Sep 2013
In reply to robatkinson:

> ... and on the basis they went out of business previously ...

I believe you are mistaken. As I understand it they stopped manufacturing clothing because the company who owned them prior to Equip wanted to concentrate on rucksacks etc.
Oceanic - on 21 Sep 2013
In reply to robatkinson:

Just noticed that the venerable t**t hat (Lowe Mountain Cap) has disappeared from their range on the website. Surely not!
Oceanic - on 21 Sep 2013
In reply to robatkinson:

If you want new and innovative the Black Diamond clothing comes out this year.

It's interesting that they aren't going to make any true hard shells, instead their flagship shells are made from Schoeller with waterproof panels.

Admittedly Rab and Patagonia are doing the 'hybrid' thing too, but they maybe aren't pushing it as hard.

(Edit, did some reading up on another forum, seems like BD hard shells are planned for the future, after they do a deal with a major fabric supplier. That said, it still seems interesting to me that they've spent two years developing a new clothing line, and decided to launch it without any true hard shells)
Up High on 21 Sep 2013
In reply to AlH:
Lowe Alpine mutant pants best designed soft shell trousers Ive ever owned.
Well thought out and functional.
Have seen there new range and looks as if they have kept them fairly the same..... great as mine are just about worn out.
Damo on 21 Sep 2013
In reply to Oceanic:
> (In reply to robatkinson)
>
> If you want new and innovative the Black Diamond clothing comes out this year.
>
> ... and decided to launch it without any true hard shells)

The proto photos look very nice, though I think they themselves imply they're not doing any anything revolutionary, just more specific and more tailored to their users, at a high level. Obviously it looks quite a bit like Arc'teryx, but I think that's a good thing. They seem to be focusing on better use of existing fabrics rather than anything totally new.

As for 'true hard-shells', I think it's a reflection that most of the time most people do not climb or ski in the rain, and never have. BD has a strong ski thread running through them at all levels. With newer fabrics and better design the hybrids and more robust soft shells are really as much as most people need most of the time. So often, hard shells are used (or taken extra in the pack) as 'just in case' and this is rarely the best option. Unless you're actually climbing in the rain.

Cue tales of Scotland etc etc...

http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdoor-adventure/climbing/black-diamond-announces-new-technical-a...
http://www.gorp.com/gear-reviews/winter-or-round-up-black-diamond-introduces-new-apparel-line/
Timmd on 21 Sep 2013
In reply to Damo: Brits can't help being gnarly. (;-))
Graham - on 21 Sep 2013
In reply to Oceanic:

Rest easy: The mountain cap is still there and still ugly as f**k. http://www.lowealpine.com/mountain-cap
AlH - on 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Damo:
> (In reply to Oceanic)
> [...]
> As for 'true hard-shells', I think it's a reflection that most of the time most people do not climb or ski in the rain, and never have.
> Cue tales of Scotland etc etc...
Was just about to say you need to come to Scotland more... If you didn't walk or ciimb in the rain you'ld never get out! Wet forecast in Lochaber yesterday and you couldn't get into the Buachaille car park after 10!

Run_Ross_Run - on 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Graham:
It still is the dogs danglies though isn't it.
robatkinson - on 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Oceanic:

black diamonds new range does look interesting,

however a new british company called Jottnar is being released in a few weeks, it look very interesting, seems like they are bringing out a complete technical range from hardshells to Down, they even seem to be using hydrophobic down but they are using some very expensive technology to do it, the same tecnology that patagonia used in their new £500 down jacket
captain paranoia - on 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Oceanic:

> It's interesting that they aren't going to make any true hard shells, instead their flagship shells are made from Schoeller with waterproof panels.

Funny that; IIRC, the 'boring old Lowe Alpine' made quite a nice hybrid jacket when their design house was in Italy. And some of their Schoeller Extreme trousers were very nicely cut, as were their fleeces.

I snapped up lots of their Houdini trousers in TK Maxx, since they're excellent, simple nylon walking trousers. They've lasted ages. <checks>blimey, the pair I wear to work have been going since 2007</checks>

Their sizing was all to pot, mind...
TheDrunkenBakers - on 23 Sep 2013
In reply to robatkinson: Ive had a lowe alpine rucksack for a while and its absolutely fine. Also had a TPC from TK Max which was fantastic and saw off the worst horizontal weather Ive ever had the misfortune to be in on top of Scafell Pike. Dry as a bone underneath. Trousers were dripping wet though.
Mr Poo - on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to robatkinson:
You are so WRONG, when you say that is why they went out of business.
Lowe Alpine was owned by Asolo. The GFC hit and Asolo wanted to cut cost so they dropped the Lowe clothing range. A couple of years went by and Asolo wanted to save more money so off loaded Lowe to Equip. Equip want a full redesign done of the packs b4 they looked at the cloth range.

Lowe was always know for its packs a more than its clothing it dise not surprise me they have spent more money and effort of there pack range.
robatkinson - on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Mr Poo:

you may well be right,

I am simply going off what i was told by various Reps and people in the industry at the time, they apparently had lost their profitability (due to a fall in sales and a lack of R and D) they may well have been popular in the UK though. If they were still doing well then Asolo wouldn't have dropped them.

I'm not hugely interested in how they went out of business, in fact im glad that the UK has gained another outdoor brand, We (the uk) are starting to become very strong in this sector it would appear.

However they went out of business the fact is that in my opinion LA have brought out a range of clothing that seems a little plain (this can be a good thing of course). A brand attempting to move back into a very crowded market place needs to show something new, something exciting. I want to walk into a shop and say "look at the new lowe stuff it looks great" instead i think i'll just not even notice it, that was my point, feel free to disagree with me though.

:)
Oceanic - on 02 Oct 2013
In reply to robatkinson:
> (In reply to Oceanic)
>
> however a new british company called Jottnar is being released in a few weeks,


Facebook tells me that their website is now up...

http://www.jottnar.com/
In reply to Oceanic:

> Facebook tells me that their website is now up...
>
> http://www.jottnar.com/

Yep, they are up and running. I've received some of the kit and will be reviewing it for UKC later this winter. Now I just need some horrible weather to really try it out!
August West on 02 Oct 2013
In reply to robatkinson:
> (In reply to Mr Poo)

> I'm not hugely interested in how they went out of business...

Rob, they did not go out of business, they just stopped making clothing.
Tall Clare - on 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Oceanic:

I've just tried to look at the Jottnar website and McAfee has blocked it as a 'risky connection' - has anyone else had this?
In reply to Tall Clare: I don't use McAfee but could it be something with a brand new website? I'll mention it to Tommy at Jöttnar - some of the videos on the website wouldn't work for me on my browser so I told him and their website designer fixed it. I think like all new sites they're "beta testing by doing" to some extent.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Martin W on 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Graham:
> (In reply to Oceanic)
>
> Rest easy: The mountain cap is still there and still ugly as f**k.

And now in Triplepoint once more, after a few years of being Gore-Tex. Hurrah.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.