UKC

Commuting advice...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sweenyt 22 Sep 2013
Hi All,
I'm planning on starting to commute to work in the next few weeks. It's 15miles each way with roughly 1000ft of climbing each way. Now I used to (a few months ago) be able to knock out 13 miles with 400ft climbing in 40 minutes, but I've just got back from a short (5 mile/400ft) ride and I'm shattered.

So, what ukc tips are there for a, getting a bit fitter so that the fist day doesn't kill me! And b, general commuting pointers?

I assume if I just give it a go then it will be ok, but there must be some helpful suggestions to make it bearable, if not enjoyable!!

Thanks,
H
 Andrew W 22 Sep 2013
In reply to sweenyt: I would start out only riding it 1 way and getting train back if possible and probably not ride everyday for a few weeks.

Also mudguards are very useful if you can fit them to the bike as they keep you and the bike a lot cleaner and dryer. Panniers although quite heavy can be nice if you need to carry anything especially at that distance I would not be wanting to wear a bag.
 Bob Hughes 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Andrew W: agree with this and also give yourself lots of time so you're not legging it
 dale1968 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Andrew W:
> (In reply to sweenyt) I would start out only riding it 1 way and getting train back if possible and probably not ride everyday for a few weeks.
>

He's 23 not ninety three, unless your the weight of a small horse, just crack on.....
 wilkesley 22 Sep 2013
In reply to sweenyt:

The best way to get for for cycling is to cycle. Can you get out more often, even if it's just for short rides?
 Andrew W 22 Sep 2013
In reply to dale1968: I was responding to the OP about being shattered after a 5 mile ride.
 GrahamD 22 Sep 2013
In reply to sweenyt:

Use all the gears your bike has. There are no prizes for turning a big cog for the sake of it.
OP sweenyt 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Andrew W:
yeah, i am pretty fat at the moment...

T be fir its the hills that knacker me, but i know that it's just because I'm unfit.

I was mostly after ways of breaking myself into the commute gently, and other non fitness related pointers.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

And yes, I'm just starting to get out again a bit more ofter, ive been away for a while, hence the no riding.

H
OP sweenyt 22 Sep 2013
In reply to sweenyt:

> TO be fAir its the hills that knacker me, but i know that it's just because I'm unfit.

I also seem to have lost the ability the type. Apologies.
 Alun 22 Sep 2013
In reply to sweenyt:
Good for you - with any luck you'll soon find that the thought of NOT cycling in becomes abhorent.

My commute is a bit easier (10 miles with 700ft of climbing, only one way) than yours. My tip is not to throw yourself in at the deep end. Start by doing one day a week at first, then two days a week, then three days a week etc. Build up gradually. The first day won't kill you, but if you jump in and start trying to go everyday, then by day 3 you will hate your bike, hate yourself, and give the whole thing up.

Commuting is very different to riding for pleasure, mainly because that's not what your doing - you're riding with a purpose beyond 'fun'. That's not to say you can't enjoy yourself, but it's also so acknowledge that the commute home on a wet wednesday evening, when you're tired after a long day at work, may be more difficult than you want it to be!

You'll find you start eating twice as much. In my book, this is a good thing!

Get some decent lights. Unless you're going off-road you don't need stadium jobbies, but you need something sturdy and strong.

A backpack is fine, but if your back starts hurting or gets unpleasantly sweaty, you may choose to invest in a rack and a bike-bag/panniers.

If you don't have a shower at work, then a flannel, a towel, and a bathroom with a private sink is perfectly adequate.

Keep a permanent stock of at least two emergency energy bars in your bag (in case you run out of juice on the aforementioned wet wednesday evening - trust me, it's a horrible experience)

I don't know what bike you have, but get some cheap, hardwearing road tyres that resist punctures (i.e. neither mtb nobblies, nor race-light slicks). Keep them pumped up hard.

Oh, and keep at it, it gets easier, and you get to live with a "I'm permanently really fit" smugness...
 VS4b 22 Sep 2013
In reply to sweenyt:
Id start of by driving in with your bike in the car and then riding home and back to work next day, that way you get a sleep instead of a days work in which to recover. Take plenty of food and carry spare tubes and pump and practice using them before you find yourself at the side of a road.

Take it steady and have fun! I ride two or sometimes three days a week but my ride is dead flat - about 100 feet and 25 miles each way.
 The New NickB 23 Sep 2013
In reply to sweenyt:

Give yourself a bit more time, it will get better! By that I mean get up earlier
 the sheep 23 Sep 2013
In reply to sweenyt:
As an aside from the other sound advice, get Strava on your phone. It helps to break the route up into sectors and makes the journey more fun trying to beat your own times on different bits of the ride
 nniff 23 Sep 2013
In reply to sweenyt:

Most of my recommendations have been mentioned - but, in essence;

- Drive in/cycle home, cycle in/drive home a bit.
- Day 4 is the killer for motivation when you're getting started. If you can do that, and then Friday, you know you can do a week.
- Get your diet sorted and make sure you always have a gel or two with you. You should be OK for your distance, but bonking when it's getting dark, getting colder and starting to rain is utterly miserable. All it takes is a day when you don't have much in the way of dinner the night before, skip breakfast and don't have time for lunch and you'll be in trouble.
- panniers are better than a sweaty back
- mudguards - a wet backside in the moring is not pleasant, but putting wet shorts on in the evening is worse.
- shoe covers if you're going to ride in all weathers.
- spare tubes and CO2 or a decent pump.
 cander 23 Sep 2013
In reply to sweenyt:
I cycle 3 miles to work - I've lost two stones in 6 months. I don't overdo it, just take it easy. Give yourself enough time to not have to rush.
Wear hi vis, get a pannier it's easier than a rucksack. Get good lights and cycle like they're all out to knock you off the bike. Plan B is important when the weather is just not biking weather (snow, heavy rain, high winds etc) - mines a taxi. Good luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...