UKC

Most coveted strava segment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 23 Sep 2013
I'm sure every strava user has segments they would risk death for a KOM on.

Here is my list and how I am getting on with them.

Applecross to Bealach na Ba - 1st out of 100
Bealach Na Ba westbound - 62nd out of 573
The Great Dun Fell - 17th out of 356, http://www.strava.com/segments/732824
HardKnott Pass, 675th out of 1985, http://www.strava.com/segments/637403
Any other major pass in the Lake District.

Anyone else got any big targets?
 andy 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett: I thought admitting to trying at Strava segments was rather lacking in etiquette? There's a guy in our club that drives to them to make sure he's fresh, and the new Leeds club the Alba Rosa seems to have more than its fair share of KoM obsessives. I think Strava segments should be done by accident as part of a normal ride of over 25 miles.

However, I should mention that I 'ad that Alex Dowsett up the Coll du Soller on Friday (not literally, obviously, that would be silly)...
 Puppythedog 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett: what's a KOM strava segment?
 kevin stephens 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett: I find it amusing on my favoutite hilly loops around Winter Hill to spot gaggles of cyclists resting at the break points between each segment, and hope i don't end up like them.
 andy 23 Sep 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:
> (In reply to ablackett) I find it amusing on my favoutite hilly loops around Winter Hill to spot gaggles of cyclists resting at the break points between each segment, and hope i don't end up like them.

That's assuming they know where the end is - a mate of my brother's deliberately puts the end of segments beyond the top of hills so that when the "puerile tickers" collapse over the bars the clock is still running...
 mbh 23 Sep 2013
In reply to andy:

I now try in segments, really hard, because it's fun. It is all a bit new, though, so half the time at the moment I am still only discovering that I have done a segment when I get home.

I am running, not cycling, and either because of that or because I am not doing such iconic segments as the OP my leader boards have many fewer members. This evening I leapt from 3rd to to a mighty 1st on one segment, out of a field of 4, but lost my course record on another, and am now second, of two.
OP ablackett 23 Sep 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to ablackett) I thought admitting to trying at Strava segments was rather lacking in etiquette? There's a guy in our club that drives to them to make sure he's fresh, and the new Leeds club the Alba Rosa seems to have more than its fair share of KoM obsessives. I think Strava segments should be done by accident as part of a normal ride of over 25 miles.
>

That's a bit like saying that fell race results don't count if you don't run there from your home farm in Wasdale, or you can't count a time on the local 10 mile TT if you drive there to make sure you are fresh! All they are, are time trial sections, what's the problem with trying to get top?

I only got into cycling because of Strava, I normally find a long ride pretty dull, in the same way I can find a long run pretty dull, but I love racing running or biking, I just find the barriers to entry for road bike racing pretty high so stick to racing on Strava. Can't see the lack of etiquette there.

> However, I should mention that I 'ad that Alex Dowsett up the Coll du Soller on Friday (not literally, obviously, that would be silly)...

Kudos.

Kimono 23 Sep 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to kevin stephens)
> [...]
>
> That's assuming they know where the end is - a mate of my brother's deliberately puts the end of segments beyond the top of hills so that when the "puerile tickers" collapse over the bars the clock is still running...

And then other riders will make a 'proper' segment that actually finishes at the top
 tim000 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett: box hill?
OP ablackett 23 Sep 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
> (In reply to ablackett) what's a KOM strava segment?

It's a website where you upload the GPS track of your run or ride, it looks at bits of that route called segments and generates a leader board saying who has ridden/run that bit fastest. Whoever is top is called the King of the Mountain or KOM.
dinkypen 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:

.... or QOM if you are a girly like me! I've got no chance of getting a Queen of the Mountains on any significant col down here because there is such massive competition for the Tourmalet, Peyresourde, Portet d'Aspet etc and I am no longer a spring chicken. But I am quite happy to work at getting PBs on climbs that would have been impossible for me a few years ago.
 Banned User 77 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett: The one I wanted was Rocky's steps in Philly.. someone though has cycled past with poor GPS I think, as they have it clocked at 1 second or something, yet its a good 50 yards long..

OP ablackett 23 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to ablackett) The one I wanted was Rocky's steps in Philly.. someone though has cycled past with poor GPS I think, as they have it clocked at 1 second or something, yet its a good 50 yards long..

That is an iconic one. I will have to add it to my list! Worth flagging anything dodgy like that they just dissapear straight away and the owner has to fight his case with the good people at Strava.

Box HIll - I would imagine it's the toughest road bike segment in the country, obviously I would love to have a go at it, but wouldn't imagine I would have a chance of even a top 100, so can't get too excited by it.
 ewar woowar 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:

After getting a logged descent speed of just over 56mph and only managing 3rd for the segment, I decided I'd just ride as I used to and use Strava to measure my own performance, not that of others.

I might live a little longer that way!
 andy 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Kimono:
> (In reply to andy)
> [...]
>
> And then other riders will make a 'proper' segment that actually finishes at the top

Blimey people do take it all rather seriously, don't they? I like seeing how I've done against myself and my mates when we get home, but I'm not sure I could get quite so po-faced about it all and set out to "do" a segment. ALC of this parish and I were chuckling only this weekend about the bloke that drives to Strava segments to do them fresh and in favourable conditions - just get out and ride...
 Rob Parsons 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:

'risk death'? Really?

If getting to the top of the list is really that important to you, then the easiest way is just to fake the GPS data. How do you know your 'competitors' on the website aren't already doing that?
 andy 23 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to ablackett) The one I wanted was Rocky's steps in Philly.. someone though has cycled past with poor GPS I think, as they have it clocked at 1 second or something, yet its a good 50 yards long..

Just report the ride - Strava will take the dodgy recording off the leaderboard. There's a section down Wharfedale that we often finish our club rides down, and the top 2 spots were mountain bikers who'd put their bike in the car and driven home with their Garmin still on, averaging about 45mph, whereas the best "real" ride was Joe Moses (think he did ToB this time?) at about 28mph.
 andy 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Rob Parsons:
> (In reply to ablackett)
>
> 'risk death'? Really?
>
> If getting to the top of the list is really that important to you, then the easiest way is just to fake the GPS data. How do you know your 'competitors' on the website aren't already doing that?

digitalepo.com - maybe they are...
 Wee Davie 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:

I'm new to road biking and 'segments' in general. I used to use mapmyrun for my jogging and biking exploits. It was quite ego stroking in that I was top ten for a number of hillclimbs in my area on that.
Turns out only 10 people use mapmyrun in my area...

Having now moved to Strava I'm now far down the league tables in most segments I do. I don't care really. It's quite comical to imagine people driving to segments (and I already suspected they do!).

What concerns me is the Strava deaths thing in the States? Mental.
 Fredt 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:

I would guess that next years TdF 1st 3 stages will be popular segments.
In reply to Rob Parsons:

It's the lurking 40mph, 80 trillion tonne cheese grater that limits my speed!

Some segments I do go for as I know how to approach them but for a lot (most?) of others it's just a time over a section of road. As much as anything it's a means of measuring my inevitable decline.

ALC
Clauso 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:

I'm not one to brag, but I recently achieved a *KOO over Snake Pass while dressed in my owl suit.

* King of the Owlmen.
OP ablackett 23 Sep 2013
In reply to andy:
>
> 'risk death'? Really?
>
> If getting to the top of the list is really that important to you, then the easiest way is just to fake the GPS data. How do you know your 'competitors' on the website aren't already doing that?

>digitalepo.com - maybe they are...

It's not getting to the top of the list which is important to me, it's being better than everyone else. Faking the GPS data wouldn't help with that. I want to assume that everyone else feels the same way.

I think the same way with fell running. Nobody really cares who is the best fell runner except the best (and the second best) fell runner, so I can't see any reason to cheat by using drugs, again, I hope that all my competitors feel the same way.
OP ablackett 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Clauso:
>
> I'm not one to brag, but I recently achieved a *KOO over Snake Pass while dressed in my owl suit.
>
> * King of the Owlmen.

Kudos.
In reply to ablackett:
> I'm sure every strava user has segments they would risk death for a KOM on.
>
> Here is my list and how I am getting on with them.
>
> Applecross to Bealach na Ba - 1st out of 100
> Bealach Na Ba westbound - 62nd out of 573
> The Great Dun Fell - 17th out of 356, http://www.strava.com/segments/732824
> HardKnott Pass, 675th out of 1985, http://www.strava.com/segments/637403
> Any other major pass in the Lake District.
>
> Anyone else got any big targets?

I've only done one of them and I'm quicker than you. ner ner na ner ner

OP ablackett 23 Sep 2013
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
> [...]
>
> I've only done one of them and I'm quicker than you. ner ner na ner ner

Great, reason to go out and go again, Hardknot? I wasn't trying. ner ner na ner ner.
 The New NickB 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Fredt:
>
> I would guess that next years TdF 1st 3 stages will be popular segments.

Crag Vale being the obvious climb. This Strava segment stuff all seems a bit silly to me.
 Banned User 77 24 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett: Some actually worked out Rocky's run from the film...

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2013/09/18/rocky-training-run-ro...

So a 30 miler if all scenes were put together.. I may go for that one next time I'm out there..

I should flag it..
 ChrisJD 24 Sep 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

>This Strava segment stuff all seems a bit silly to me.

My wife thinks that as well...

... though my physio/osteopath love them - generates ongoing business putting me back together after sampling the dirt chasing KOMs.
 Chris the Tall 24 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:
Surely the best cyclist is the one having the most fun....
 ChrisJD 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

... I've never seen a roadie having 'fun' - it's an oxymoron!
 Enty 24 Sep 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> ... I've never seen a roadie having 'fun' - it's an oxymoron!

Agrre - I fecking hate it

I'm a bit gutted this morning. I haven't uploaded anything to Strava for about 6 weeks so had a look last night. In July I was top 10 on the easy side of Mont Ventoux. But now, after two months of some pretty quick Dutch and Belgian holiday makers being in the area I've dropped down about 30 places.

E
 steveriley 24 Sep 2013
Riding on Sunday, I fell into step with my postman. We chatted for a couple of miles till the road reared up 'I'm going to give it some up here'. 'Go for it', I said. 'Strava', I thought. I was planning on battling up the climb anyway and we ended up at the top pretty much together, as he passes me he pants sideways 'I've got to carry on to Manley Road now' with a note of despair
 BazVee 24 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:

I have no desire to risk death for a Strava KOM ... these segments things they're everywhere and I'm always last

Perhaps if my phone was switched on whilst I make my last journey in a hearse i might actually get one. Foot down driver!

My pet hate is where a number of Strava segments all start and finish at roughly the same point, one gentle hill out of the South Downs village where I live in has three up it why?
 MHutch 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
> [...]
>
>
> I'm a bit gutted this morning. I haven't uploaded anything to Strava for about 6 weeks so had a look last night. In July I was top 10 on the easy side of Mont Ventoux. But now, after two months of some pretty quick Dutch and Belgian holiday makers being in the area I've dropped down about 30 places.
>
> E

Pfft. I've dropped from third to 12th on the fabled traverse of Barden Moor, and that's from the hard side. Damn you, dry conditions...
In reply to ablackett: Saddo (from an ex strava addict!)!
 yorkshireman 24 Sep 2013
In reply to mbh:
> (In reply to andy)

> I am running, not cycling, and either because of that or because I am not doing such iconic segments as the OP my leader boards have many fewer members. This evening I leapt from 3rd to to a mighty 1st on one segment, out of a field of 4, but lost my course record on another, and am now second, of two.

Me too, and there aren't many runners round my parts so I've got most of the segments (that I generally created anyway) sewn up.

Rather than battling people, it's a good way to measure performance - I have a few hill sprints that I use for intervals so it's good to see if I'm having a good day. Because I'm running off road though, it can be a bit flaky about picking up if I've run a segment - and the trails change in winter so i can't take it too seriously.
 RobertHepburn 24 Sep 2013
I really like Strava, as midweek I end up riding on my own, and I can have fun trying to beat my/my friends personal best up various sections. I think of it as interval training, and it really helps me push hard. On one section (Punchbowl Reverse Short) me and a friend of mine have been leap-frogging each other every couple of months, although I am really not sure I could go any faster if he goes past me again! Driving to the start seems a bit over the top though?
 John Gillott 24 Sep 2013
In reply to RobertHepburn:
> Driving to the start seems a bit over the top though?

I can see you're thinking about it!

Next steps include waiting for favourable wind conditions, tailgating buses, ....all fair I'm told.

There is the danger that overdoing it on Strava can mess up training, but it's like any new toy, once you get used to it it's a nice little addition to training tools.
 ChrisJD 24 Sep 2013
In reply to MHutch:
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
> Damn you, dry conditions...

I feel your pain. I had a KOM on a much loved local downhill section, then the CC flattened it out with tarmac scalpings when it wasn't even used by 4x4 or dirt bikes. Now it's a flat dull run with zero technical riding interest (and I'm well out the top 10 now).

(yes yes, I know the score with CC duty to maintain etc etc etc and that it is not there for MTB enjoyment etc etc).
 mark s 24 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett: there is no way I will get any of the local major climbs.im far to heavy to be a climber.although I do well on descents.a few get tagged as been dangerous so just reload them.
im more likely to die from heart attack than going over a wall.
 mbh 24 Sep 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:

Agreed, although it was fun to see myself on leader boards I didn't know existed and to discover that other people that I have never seen run the same way as me.

The way the segments are set up - I have never set one up - means I have an extra incentive to try hard on some uphill sections of my runs, rather than just chug up them. I could do this and measure my performance anyway, but strava has proved to be a handy way to do it.
 balmybaldwin 24 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:

A very good tool for Strava Analysis is the veloviewer.

In particular there is a ranking on your position that is related to number of competitors - i.e. 1st out of 44 is ranked below say 60th out of 2000.

It also links off to all the other tools like race shape etc if you want to get really competitive
 ChrisJD 25 Sep 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Anyone going to post their VeloViewer Signature Image and let the strutting begin, lol....
 urbanmonkey 25 Sep 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

Anything longer than a couple of miles, not sure what the poit of the short segmentsis. I've got one KOM over a segment that is only 200m long, I suspect that my GPS timing is inaccurate on it but then I think the same of all the othes. Headley Road to Epsom TT is a segemnt I'd like to move up in not sure I can displace the TT guys but to 10 is possible.
http://www.strava.com/segments/3972545
 mikehike 25 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:
Not so much a STrAVA segment but impressive all the same is this ride by a local fella I follow who holds many local KOM's.

http://app.strava.com/activities/77241956

MH
 MHutch 25 Sep 2013
In reply to urbanmonkey:
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
>
> Anything longer than a couple of miles, not sure what the poit of the short segmentsis. I've got one KOM over a segment that is only 200m long, I suspect that my GPS timing is inaccurate on it but then I think the same of all the othes.

I got a top ten placing (out of 2000) on a segment at Gisburn yesterday. My joy was slightly tempered by it being a massive 16m long and knowing full well that I hadn't even been trying at that point.

Enty 25 Sep 2013
In reply to mikehike:
> Not so much a STrAVA segment but impressive all the same is this ride by a local fella I follow who holds many local KOM's.
>
> http://app.strava.com/activities/77241956
>
> MH

That's impressive - Looks like a slightly easier version of The Sea to Sea there and back with 14h riding time.

E
 Radioactiveman 25 Sep 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin)
>
> Anyone going to post their VeloViewer Signature Image and let the strutting begin, lol....

Didnt know what veloviewer was until now

http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=105ed8&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p...
 ChrisJD 26 Sep 2013
 VS4b 26 Sep 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

The most coveted in my world is the sprint to the village sign in my home village, where i am KOM
Removed User 26 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:
As a fat knacker on a hybrid the only person I really race is me and I'm getting quite good at beating me which is kinda the point.
There was one segment near me that had the KOM start his ride 30m from the segment and then finish 50m from the end, seemed a bit weird but whatever floats their gboat.

I do have one KOM, but once some skinny club guy puts a bit of effort in he'll have it......
 ChrisJD 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Escher:

That's a fine set
 balmybaldwin 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Escher:

22,000K? is that ever? and why does your sig not show distance to date as the others do? is it in the options what gets included?
 ChrisJD 26 Sep 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> is it in the options what gets included?

It is.
 Banned User 77 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Escher: http://s3.veloviewer.com/athletes/signature/afca35r3c5uMgpfabcdefghijza.png

Never seen that site.. just uploaded mine to it.
 Escher 26 Sep 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: That was the default settings so distance was everything I have on Strava, after fiddling got this:- http://s3.veloviewer.com/athletes/signature/a4d6f6r3c5uIgpfabcdejlhkzza.png
 Escher 26 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK: VV is brilliant, there's loads of interesting features many of which are way better than anything Strava themselves have, worth a good look round.
 Escher 26 Sep 2013
In reply to ChrisJD: Thanks! Unfortunately Jack Pullar (the Nat HC champ) lives a few doors down and is constantly on my case, he isn't human!
 ChrisJD 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Escher:

Is he one of the 'Rivals' that VeloViewer identifies for you
 kevin stephens 29 Sep 2013
In reply to ablackett:
So those older ones amongst us; has anyone subscribed to the Pro version just so they can compete against riders in their own age group? (I suspect that if I did I would find it very demoralising)
 andy 29 Sep 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: i've upgraded, but not really for the gimmer game - i'm more interested in my suffer score...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...