UKC

gta v- whats the point?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RockAngel 24 Sep 2013
My son has borrowed the game but ive never seen him do anything in the game apart from drive around in it. Are there any challenges to do (apart from trying to decipher the slang the characters use)? Whats the point of the game?
 stewieatb 24 Sep 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

Yeah, it's a free-roaming story where you do jobs for various gangsters and work your way up (down?) in the underworld. At the same time you acquire cash, guns, cars, status, houses even. The fact that you can entertain yourself just messing around in the free-roaming world is an added extra.
OP RockAngel 24 Sep 2013
In reply to stewieatb: seems a bit pointless to me. I prefer xbox games with something to aim for rather than just driving around. Its way too boring for me
 balmybaldwin 24 Sep 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

How old is your son? Whilst most video games are probably rated as 15/18 unnecessarily, GTA V and previous titles are IMO adult-only for good reason.

It covers such items as Torture, Picking up prostitutes (including abilty to choose 3 levels of service and seeing (non explicit but bloody obvious) them carried out, drug use (there is a lot of this in the game), visit strip bars, murder hookers to get your money back, go on a massive rampage etc.

d_b 24 Sep 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

It is a game. It is inherently pointless - just another way to use up time before you die.

A bit like climbing really.
 SteveoS 24 Sep 2013
Has more content than a racing game which really is just driving about.

You can also visit strip clubs.
 Jackwd 24 Sep 2013
In reply to RockAngel: You can play the stock markets to make our money. You can pretty much live like you do in the real world, without the boundaries of it. Well almost...
 hokkyokusei 24 Sep 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to RockAngel)
>

> It covers such items as Torture, Picking up prostitutes (including abilty to choose 3 levels of service and seeing (non explicit but bloody obvious) them carried out, drug use (there is a lot of this in the game), visit strip bars, murder hookers to get your money back, go on a massive rampage etc.

Hence the reason that RockAngel never sees her son doing anything?

Tall Clare 24 Sep 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:

A friend said she'd found her car mating with another car in gta v.
 balmybaldwin 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Don't know about that, but Franklin's dog is quite often at it with other dogs.
 Jackwd 24 Sep 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: I'm trying to tame him at the moment, in my iFruit app on my iPhone!
OP RockAngel 24 Sep 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: i would rather be climbing than playing gta v!
In reply to RockAngel: Had my first go on it last night, can't understand why people love these games so much, liked them when I was a kid but each subsequent edition has exactly the same gameplay with slightly better graphics, five minutes was enough for me.

Tried assassins creed & red dead recently and found exactly the same thing, gta with different clothes. The only games I like are gran turismo (or forza on the xbox) and call of duty online because there's a proper element of skill involved.
 d_b 25 Sep 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

But you would rather be complaining about the existence of GTA V than climbing.
 nufkin 25 Sep 2013
In reply to shaun l:

> call of duty online because there's a proper element of skill involved.

But there's also the ignominy of constantly being trounced by smug fourteen-year-olds
 ThunderCat 25 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin:

I'm plodding along in the game nicely.

I have to admit though, even I found the mission where you have to torture someone to get information a bit 'unsettling'.

Pulling teeth, electrocuting, waterboarding and smashing in knees with big wrenches...Games have come a long way since 'pong'

Shearwater 25 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin:
> (In reply to shaun l)
> But there's also the ignominy of constantly being trounced by smug fourteen-year-olds

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming
 Martin Wing 25 Sep 2013
In reply to shaun l:
> each subsequent edition has exactly the same gameplay with slightly better graphics, five minutes was enough for me.

> sounds a lot like Call Of Duty to me. They release the same game every year.

Pan Ron 25 Sep 2013
In reply to RockAngel:
> Whats the point of the game?

Much the same as Sudoku, connect the dots, climbing or reading a book really.
cap'nChino 25 Sep 2013
In reply to RockAngel: 2/10 try harder.
In reply to Martin Wing: Good point. Still love 'em though, nice to change guns every now and again...
 1poundSOCKS 26 Sep 2013
In reply to RockAngel: I think it's pretty amazing how far games have come since the 80's when the Spectrum and C64 were the machines to own. I don't really play computer games any more, but I had a fun Saturday night on my mate's PS3, playing GTA5. Slighly tempted to buy a PS4 now.
M0nkey 26 Sep 2013
In reply to RockAngel: Your son gets it - you don't. That's ok, gaming isn't everyone's cup of tea. I rarely play video games but I am a big fan of the GTA franchise. This episode is really groundbreaking and it is very easy to get lost in it having fun without doing the missions. That has always been part of the appeal with GTA and this one delivers it in spades.
 ThunderCat 26 Sep 2013
In reply to M0nkey:
> (In reply to RockAngel) Your son gets it - you don't. That's ok, gaming isn't everyone's cup of tea. I rarely play video games but I am a big fan of the GTA franchise. This episode is really groundbreaking and it is very easy to get lost in it having fun without doing the missions. That has always been part of the appeal with GTA and this one delivers it in spades.

Getting a bit hacked off with the Stock Market element of it. I hear that if you buy stocks on one company and then attack the property of it's rival (ie buy BurgerShot shares, and then attack Taco Bomb / Cluckin' Bell property) your shares will rise.

I've done that, but the share prices havent moved...but I've spent hundreds of dollars getting re-armed at Ammu-nation
OP RockAngel 26 Sep 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: i would rather be climbing. Trying to get my fitness levels back so i can go again.
 malk 26 Sep 2013
In reply to ThunderCat: have you been down the strip club yet?
 balmybaldwin 26 Sep 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

Certainly works with the assasination missions, wasn't sure about open world attacks... might have to try that as I'm a little low on cash.

ThunderCat 26 Sep 2013
In reply to malk:
> (In reply to ThunderCat) have you been down the strip club yet?

Yes...Oh yes....Trying to do things without the bouncer seeing.

A friend tells me that if you flatter the girl enough she does nice things to you.

nufkin 26 Sep 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

> A friend tells me that if you flatter the girl enough she does nice things to you.

Did this same friend tell you that you could see Chun Lee's foofoo if you paused just at the right time during the Spinning Bird Kick?
 Jackwd 01 Oct 2013
In reply to RockAngel: So who's online?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...