/ Garages/companies working 9-5 M-F

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
robal - on 24 Sep 2013
Hello -- Rant Warning

I'm trying to sort out some issues with my car, its quite an old classic car and I wouldn't mind throwing a whole wodge of cash at it as I don't always have the time to work on it myself. However, I cannot find any garages to accommodate it that don't work 9-5 Monday to Friday, the last guy got difficult with me when I rather foolishly assumed that he may be working on a Saturday.

I have to say that if I was running a garage, a butcher, green grocer etc then I would be open all hours. The reason I cannot get to the garages in the middle of the working week is because I run my own business and thus am here from early morning till early evening.

My local chemist, butcher, green grocer, post office are consistently on the ropes financially from what they say when you talk to them but if they were open in the evenings then I'd bob in on my way home from work rather than the supermarket. I know other locals would do this also. The only time I can shop with the local shops is Saturday morning between 9am and 12....

Rant over, sorry everyone....
Trangia - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:
> The reason I cannot get to the garages in the middle of the working week is because I run my own business and thus am here from early morning till early evening.
>
>

This may sound harsh and I know it's frustrating but you are not prepared (for whatever reason) to put yourself out to fit into their hours, so isn't that your problem rather than theirs?
Tall Clare - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Trangia:

The French model allows shops to open later in the evenings - though as a consequence it's less likely that they'll be open at lunchtime.

If the shop is open at the same time as all its customers are at work, it stands to reason that the shop might struggle for business.
John_Hat - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:

Y'know, there was this guy, and I was trying to buy from his business, and I rang him up and y'know what he said, he said that he wasn't going to be there on a Saturday morning!!

My local chemist, butcher, green grocer and post office are consistently open on Saturday so why on earth does this guy think its acceptable not to be available?

It's no surprise the country is going to the dogs and businesses are failing when businesses can't be bothered to be open at times convienient to the consumer.
robal - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Trangia: Yeah I can see your point and I agree it does seem a little selfish that I am prioritising my own timetable over his.

However my customers expect the same availability from me that I would expect from some one I would like to acquire goods and services from. My local shops loose out to the supermarkets I pass on the way home, I'd rather shop with them but I cant. It gets to a point where you question their desire to be in business.

If my customers call me at any point where I am not in the office I'm still available and whilst my responses might be a touch slower due to me not being at my desk I still do everything I can in order to facilitate them in order to have as much business as possible.

I guess other people have different expectations of their work/life balance and what they want from it and I probably shouldn't push my expectations on to them, even if my car continues to rust away! :P
robal - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to John_Hat: what you to? no way! :)
SteveoS - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:

I met them briefly at 5 to 5pm, explained the problem. I then dropped my car off at 7 before work and dropped my keys through the door.
robal - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to SteveoS: yeah I've dropped the keys before after talking to them over the phone but retrieving the car can be a bit tricky, I've had a mate pick it up for me before now!
Paul Robertson - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:
I broke down on the M5 a few weeks ago, having filled a diesel vehicle with unleaded petrol. It was about 9.00 p.m.

The breakdown/recovery guy who came to collect us took us to his garage in Kidderminster. He called his boss on the way who arranged to meet us at the garage with the kit they needed to drain the fuel. Whe we arrived at the garage it was after 10.00 p.m. and there were three people at the garage (one of whom was a bored girlfriend). We waited while they drained the fuel and tried to get the car running again.

About 01.00 a.m. they gave up and, very apologetically, announced that they would have to leave it until the morning. They lent us a car to get home.

We got a call about 10.00 a.m. the next day to say that the car was ready to collect. When I arrived to collect it after lunch, the same mechanics were at the garage looking remarkably fresh and cheerful. Even the bill wasn't that bad!
robal - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Paul Robertson: Bloody hell that's awesome, you lucked out with those guys!
Ramblin dave - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to robal)
> [...]
>
> This may sound harsh and I know it's frustrating but you are not prepared (for whatever reason) to put yourself out to fit into their hours, so isn't that your problem rather than theirs?

If you want to look at it like that, then yes, but then with greengrocers etc it's their problem and not mine when they go out of business because, like the majority of their potential customers, I've gone to a supermarket instead because that's the only place that's open when I've finished work.
Rob Naylor - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to robal)
> [...]
>
> This may sound harsh and I know it's frustrating but you are not prepared (for whatever reason) to put yourself out to fit into their hours, so isn't that your problem rather than theirs?

That attitude seems to be the problem with much of British business...expect the customer to fit in with the supplier!!!

No....if the business's competition (eg supermarkets) are open in the evenings then unless they are too they'll lose out on business.

When we first moved to Tun Wells it was amazing to see all the antique and specialist shops on the Pantiles closed at weekends...My wife got fed up with me commenting on it. The *weekends" were the only times when the Pantiles had significant "footfall". It was deserted in the week. It was absolutely beyond me why all those businesses didn't close on say, Mondays and Tuesdays and stay open at a time when they might have customers about.

Over about 10 years or so they all went out of business....the ones that are left are a bit more sensible about opening at weekends!
Dax H - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to robal: There are 2 types of buisiness that only work 9 to 5,
very popular and busy ones that don't need to work outside those hours and the second are owned by either lazy or incompetent people who will blame the world when they go under.

I dream of a 9 to 5 job (as I am sure many on here do) but unless I bin the company and get a job working for someone else it will never happen.
estivoautumnal - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:
> The reason I cannot get to the garages in the middle of the working week is because I run my own business and thus am here from early morning till early evening.
>

What if I want to use your business late evening?
Neil Williams - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Last time I checked, it was meant to be the business that put itself out for the customer?

Neil
woolsack - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to robal: Maybe he wants to go climbing at the weekends?
Luke90 on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:

Exactly the same problem exists with delivery companies. If you and those living with you all have jobs then often the only option is to pick it up from the sorting office and even then you first have to wait for them to predictably fail to deliver it and then another 24 hours for them to get their act together. Infuriating!
woolsack - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Luke90:
> (In reply to robal)
>
> Exactly the same problem exists with delivery companies. If you and those living with you all have jobs then often the only option is to pick it up from the sorting office and even then you first have to wait for them to predictably fail to deliver it and then another 24 hours for them to get their act together. Infuriating!

....or get it delivered to your work, not difficult. Seems a number of you feel your weekends are sacred yet those of others are expendable
SCrossley on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to robal: The garage guy obviously does a good enough job to attract enough business to sustain himself 9 - 5 Mon - Fri, and at the weekend goes golfing or climbing or classic car things, good on him.
SCrossley on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to Luke90)
> [...]
>
> ....or get it delivered to your work, not difficult. Seems a number of you feel your weekends are sacred yet those of others are expendable


Exactly.

woolsack - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to robal) The garage guy obviously does a good enough job to attract enough business to sustain himself 9 - 5 Mon - Fri, and at the weekend goes golfing or climbing or classic car things, good on him.

Exactly, Kwikfit are open weekends, he could take his precious classic there, I'm sure their Saturday boy will have a good stab at balancing the carbs and adjusting the points
johnwright - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to woolsack:

Kwikfit are open weekends, he could take his precious classic there, I'm sure their Saturday boy will have a good stab at balancing the carbs and adjusting the points

You are joking aren't you I wouldn't take a wheel barrow to K****it lol
woolsack - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to johnwright: I was be facetious. Garages that deal with classics properly are not two a penny, especially those recognised as acknowledged experts with a particular vehicle. I find the OP's assumption that they should be there at his beck and call quite amusing really
hairyRob on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to sjc:
Most places i have worked ban deliveries to work because of the large number of people on site.
mwr72 - on 24 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:

He may, just like I imagine most people do, work to live and not live to work!
nniff - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:

Our local garage maybe does Saturdays, but I really don't know. I phone him up, have a chat and drop the car round at a time to suit us, and pop the keys through the letter box. He gives me a call about what he's done and anything that might need approval. I pay his bill by card over the phone. Depending which car it is, he either locks the key inside or hangs onto it. We pick the car up using the spare key, and collect the other key sometime. Once it was six months later when we dropped the car off again. Not so hard really.
Dave B on 25 Sep 2013


I think we need to split businesses into either W, X Y or Z slots.

milk men and mail sorting employees work W midnight till 8am

Offices work X from 7am to 2pm

Delivery guys work Y from 9am to 4pm

shop workers work Z from 11am to 7pm


Thus your shop worker can have their personal deliveries at home at 9-10:30 am, their work deliveries from 11 to 4, can place their orders with offices between 11 and 2 and so on...

Of course some things need to be all hours.

Your garage would be a a Z slot.

You can choose your slot if you want, but you only get 8 hours and have to live with the consequences

All money making businesses would only be allowed 2 slots... Anything else will be deemed a service and must be publically owned and run.

Of course you can improve this scheme if you want when you get into power...

:-)

Ferret on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to robal: In terms of Garages this sounds a tad odd... even if owner and mechanics work 9-5 most garages have ways of dealing with cars coming in and out earlier and later. So, he may have enough business to be able to do this but it isn't great service. The independant I use has an old boy (garage opwners father in law in fact), who comes in about 7am and potters around taking and handing out keys. He then does a collection or two by driving garaga owned bangers to clients houses, parking up and driving customer car back to garage. Same again in evening. So one low cost individual makes life pretty convenient for customers and its then up to busyness whether machanics and owner are working all hours or not.

In terms of comments on thread around shops totally agree. Perhaps the shops are doing so well they don't need to match their customers hours but everything one hears about death of high street and independants being out competed seems to argue otherwise. Drives me nuts not being able to stop at a decent butcher on way home and having to go into supermarket instead. Much is innertia, lack of imagination and innability to actually try new hours and analyse footfall sufficiently to figure out what the best balance of sales vs staff costs are at different times... like perhaps ditching 2 or 3 mornings in favour of evenings or time/more time at weekend or whatever. Yes its unfair that some people get to work 9 to 5 (as if!) and others assorted weird shifts/weekends but if you are providing a service thats what you need to get yourself and your staff to do.

I was amused by a VX main dealer telling me they open 'early' to facilitate car drop off. 8.15am, on an edge of town motormile type site with very limited public trsnsport and then doing one shuttle run into town at 9am to one central drop point for customers that don't want to try the limited buses..... as I start work at 7am I'm pretty much turning up 3 hours late by the time I drop car and get to office and would leave about 2 hours early to get back.... Yes I can do that but not something one wants to do often in face of all the other times one innevitably eats into work goodwill for childcare, doctors, dentist, etc etc. So vote with feet and use businesses that work around my needs better.
Timmd on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to robal)
> [...]
>
> This may sound harsh and I know it's frustrating but you are not prepared (for whatever reason) to put yourself out to fit into their hours, so isn't that your problem rather than theirs?

If 'service' business are only open when most people are at work, it doesn't seem illogical that they're struggling to survive, though.
Irk the Purist - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:

Surely banks are the worst offenders for this? Huge multinationals who I give my money to, that I earn during the week, that only open before lunch on a Saturday and don't do counter service at that time.

ar$eholes.

(I have switched, thanks)

Neil Williams - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Ferret:

If garages cared about customer service, one option would be that you do all the paperwork/payment online then just drop the keys through their letterbox as you drop the car off. They could then lock the keys in the glovebox and you could retrieve your car at any time using the spare key (and possibly a daily gate code for added security given that people would know the keys were in the car).

Then no need for them to actually work any specific hours at all other than that required to do the job.

Neil
Tall Clare - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Eric the Red:

The local branch of the big multinational bank I use have decided to start opening until 3pm on Saturdays, so people can do things like have mortgage conversations - a really good idea, and I'm sure it wasn't that difficult to implement.
Neil Williams - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Eric the Red:

Unless you have to deposit lots of cash regularly, which most likely means you're a business or a child with pocket money (both of whom can probably attend a branch 9-5 Mon-Fri), branch banking is an anachronism. I haven't set foot in a bank branch for years and I don't miss it.

To anyone who finds it a hassle, switch to First Direct or Smile and do it all online. If anyone sends you one of those anachronisms known as a cheque (why do people insist on using them when BACS is better, particularly now it's instant?), you can deposit by post. Loose change now gets shoved into an automated checkout now many of them have hoppers where you just pour the money in and it sorts it.

Neil
Alan M - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:

There could be a formal reason why the garage doesn't operate late. There could be Planning conditions which restrict the hours of operation? Maybe an abatement notice in relation to Statutory Nuisance has been served by the local authority? Etc



woolsack - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to robal: Can we have a show of hands for all of those on the thread that would like to change to be working these Saturdays and very early mornings, that currently have normal hours?
Tall Clare - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

On the other hand, I've found that using my local branch has been a revelation - friendly faces (one of whom describes what they do here in Skipton as 'Parochial with a capital P'), people willing to take time and listen rather than patronise or dismiss, and (not just with my bank) cash machines that dispense fivers on a Wednesday when the farmers come into town. As a consequence of this friendly approach, I have my business account and personal account based at this branch. I like being able to talk to people face to face about my money.

There are all sorts of reasons why people use cheques - not everyone has access to internet banking, and for some charities etc who require two signatures to pay out money, a cheque can be easier. Those automated hoppers turn out to be rarer than I thought, too.
Ramblin dave - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to Luke90)
> [...]
>
> ....or get it delivered to your work, not difficult. Seems a number of you feel your weekends are sacred yet those of others are expendable

I assume you're happy enough to go to shops, pubs and restaurants or to catch trains and buses in the evening or at the weekend, though?
Tall Clare - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to woolsack:

I'm a freelancer who, amongst other things, works on events, so whilst I'm not great in the early mornings, I do plenty of late nights already - no complaints here.
woolsack - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to woolsack)
> [...]
>
> I assume you're happy enough to go to shops, pubs and restaurants or to catch trains and buses in the evening or at the weekend, though?

Yep. I would also specifically not seek to work in any of the above on account of the working hours.
Neil Williams - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

"I like being able to talk to people face to face about my money."

Difference of opinion there, I guess. I don't talk to people about my money, I make my own decisions following research. If I did want personal advice (not happened yet), I would seek and pay for an independent financial adviser, not a member of bank staff able to advise only on their own products.

I get the issues for voluntary organisations being a Scout Leader, but I do wish banks would offer dual-authority BACS on a larger scale to avoid it. HFC Bank do, and I think one other, but it's rare. For taking payment, it'd be nice if they would offer credit/debit card processing at a lower subscription cost - you can use Paypal but some of their policies e.g. having the ability to do outbound transfers from the same account are somewhat questionable, and most other providers charge a hefty monthly fee.

Neil
Sam_in_Leeds - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to robal)
> [...]
>
> This may sound harsh and I know it's frustrating but you are not prepared (for whatever reason) to put yourself out to fit into their hours, so isn't that your problem rather than theirs?

Sorry, I'm spending/giving MY money to THEM

I am paying for a service, they're not doing me a favour.
Enty - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to robal) The garage guy obviously does a good enough job to attract enough business to sustain himself 9 - 5 Mon - Fri, and at the weekend goes golfing or climbing or classic car things, good on him.

Exactly!

E
Ramblin dave - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to Ramblin dave)
> [...]
>
> Yep. I would also specifically not seek to work in any of the above on account of the working hours.

So you think it's quite reasonable to expect train drivers, bus drivers, supermarket workers, clothes shop workers, chefs, waiters, bar staff and so on to give up their evenings and weekends for your convenience, but terribly self-centred to expect greengrocers and delivery drivers to do the same?
Tall Clare - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> "I like being able to talk to people face to face about my money."
>
> Difference of opinion there, I guess. I don't talk to people about my money, I make my own decisions following research. If I did want personal advice (not happened yet), I would seek and pay for an independent financial adviser, not a member of bank staff able to advise only on their own products.
>
>
You miss the point that having chosen a particular organisation's products, I like being able to talk to that organisation. It's not that peculiar really.

woolsack - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave: It is entirely their choice to do those jobs and to do those hours. Not my choice to do those hours though. Yes, perfectly reasonable. If they don't like the hours, don't do the job, do something else. What's so hard about that?

I run my own business and guess what? We open 8am to 5 pm Monday to Friday, no weekends. MY CHOICE


Unless of course someone is coming to spend an obscene amount of money
mwr72 - on 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> [...]
>
> Sorry, I'm spending/giving MY money to THEM

Yes, and?
>
> I am paying for a service, they're not doing me a favour.

Yes they are! you try plugging in the ECU to see what may be wrong with your car.

With attitudes like yours and that of the OP then ALL services would be open 24 hours just to accommodate the likes of you, you know, just on the off chance YOU need to give YOUR money to them.
SCrossley on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> [...]
>
> Sorry, I'm spending/giving MY money to THEM
>
> I am paying for a service, they're not doing me a favour.

I am off climbing this weekend, could you please come over about 3.30pm Sunday and dig my Garden over, keeps the Wife happy. I will be paying you for a service, and doing you a favour, so please be prompt.
Rob Naylor - on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to mwr72:
> (In reply to Sam_in_Leeds)
>
> With attitudes like yours and that of the OP then ALL services would be open 24 hours just to accommodate the likes of you, you know, just on the off chance YOU need to give YOUR money to them.

People are not saying that at all. We're saying that service companies need to bear in mind their likely customer profiles when deciding their hours of business. "Ferret" above put it very well:

(Quote) Much is innertia, lack of imagination and innability to actually try new hours and analyse footfall sufficiently to figure out what the best balance of sales vs staff costs are at different times... like perhaps ditching 2 or 3 mornings in favour of evenings or time/more time at weekend or whatever. Yes its unfair that some people get to work 9 to 5 (as if!) and others assorted weird shifts/weekends but if you are providing a service thats what you need to get yourself and your staff to do.(Unquote)

Sure, if Woolsack's (for example) business is doing fine on a 5 day 9-5 basis then great....but like the antique busnesses on Tun Wells Pantiles that I mentioned above, going bust and moaning about no custom while staying stubbornly closed at periods of greatest footfall and opening when the place was deserted, failure to tailor your services to customer needs will not result in long-term prosperity.
Neil Williams - on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

No, but I don't! I want them to say clearly what the service offers, so I can choose it. Once I've chosen it I want it to work as a self-service system precisely as it was sold to me. If I have to talk to them, to me it has failed.

Just a different approach.

Neil
Neil Williams - on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to woolsack:

Increasing numbers of employers will not permit this.

Neil
Neil Williams - on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to johnwright:

Kwik Fit are variable as they're mostly franchises. My local one is fine, and I do indeed choose it because of convenience, e.g. online booking and weekend opening.

Neil
Ferret on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Neil Williams: My employer got a bit shirty about deliveies to office when some muppet upset the apple cart by having a shed delivered there....
ice.solo - on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to robal:

im with ya.

if you add up the lunch hours, weekends, holidays and shortened hours of many businesses (not necessarily the humans) they work out to being closed cummulative months each year - time when people are out and about, at their most spendingness.

i think it crazy in an era of such economic tightness, especially when compared to many of the rising economies, especially in asia, where base-of-the-pyramid businesses that circulate cash are open all the time.
indeed, a significant part of chinas rise in internal economics is attributed to round the clock hours.

in japan, with an ailing economy, theres huge pressure to be open when people are spending. things still open annoyingly late (to me at least), but stay open till 10pm and no one would dream of closing on the weekends.
Fraser on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to robal) The garage guy obviously does a good enough job to attract enough business to sustain himself 9 - 5 Mon - Fri, and at the weekend goes golfing or climbing or classic car things, good on him.

I must admit, that's how I'd read it too. If they're doing well enough being open for the ("limited") hours they are, then that's up to them. If they were unhappy with the return they get by doing this, then presumably they'd think about staying open longer.

Neil Williams - on 26 Sep 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

I would rather food shops opened noon to 8pm or similar. They get some time off to access office type businesses, and those of us working in offices can access them. Now we all have fridges, freezers etc, there is little need to buy fresh food for breakfast.

As for garages, I don't mind when they are open provided they come up with a means for automatically depositing and retrieving keys out of hours. As Airparks at Luton Airport has this, I see no reason why every car dealer shouldn't. I can talk to them by phone, and I can pay online. Then it doesn't matter what hours they choose to work.

Neil
Luke90 on 01 Oct 2013
In reply to woolsack:
If I worked in an office with 5 other people, I probably would. Since I work in a place with hundreds of staff, that's not really an option. Don't think the reception staff would be too happy with becoming a parcel service for all of us!

I don't feel my weekends are sacred, I regularly work through them. All I'm saying is that the first online shop to offer reasonably-priced evening/weekend delivery will be getting a lot of custom from me. Not sure how you could be offended by that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.