UKC

Recommended model for second hand car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mr Pinchy 25 Sep 2013
Am considering getting a second hand car. I only drive about once a week mainly doing short trips to the supermarket.

Can anyone recommend a particular make or model?

Requirements are:
- Size: 5 door Ford Focus
- Reliable
- Straightforward to get parts
- Cost £500-£2000

Thanks!
 Sir Chasm 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mr Pinchy: Use a taxi.
 teflonpete 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mr Pinchy:

> Can anyone recommend a particular make or model?
>
> Requirements are:
> - Size: 5 door Ford Focus
> - Reliable
> - Straightforward to get parts
> - Cost £500-£2000

A second hand 5 door Ford Focus?
 ripper 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to Mr Pinchy) Use a taxi.

what he said - seriously
Mr Pinchy 25 Sep 2013
In reply to ripper:

I do make the occasional longer trip. (perhaps once or twice a month). Hmm, Zip Car may be another option. Will have to do some sums...
 toad 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mr Pinchy: Hiring for the long trips, taxi (or heaven forfend the bus) for the shorter trips. I think the maths will still add up over ownership
 NearlyDutchDan 25 Sep 2013
In reply to ripper:

Buy a bike !
 Tree 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mr Pinchy: Take a look at '02 Subaru Forester: get the non-turbo as it'll last longer, and one with the All Weather Pack: means air con and heated seats. Bags of room and they go forever!

~Message me for more info, mine got written off recently whilst parked and I've a copy of the manual in digital format I can send over
 Neil Williams 25 Sep 2013
In reply to toad:

Owning has big advantages, though, such as immediate availability and not having to worry about getting it mucky. For me that outweighs the cost even if I would choose cycling for local journeys generally.

Neil
 CurlyStevo 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mr Pinchy:
Honda Civic Petrol 1.6 best years are 2004 and 2005 but 2003 is OK - avoid that model earlier than that.
 toad 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Neil Williams: Availability is a good point, but I've never had problems hiring for work and bringing them back with peat cores and dirty stuff in the boot, but they might be easier on returns if you're from a big account than an individual
 Steve John B 25 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Mr Pinchy)
> Honda Civic Petrol 1.6 best years are 2004 and 2005 but 2003 is OK - avoid that model earlier than that.

I've had a couple of late 90's Civics (a 1.4 and a 1.5), both very reliable and cheap to maintain (and quite good to drive). Sold the 1.4 with 160k on the clock only because I wanted an estate car.

To the OP: Nowt wrong with a Focus!
 nniff 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mr Pinchy:

A Toyota Yaris. Reliable as anything, cheap servicing, cheap parts
 CurlyStevo 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to CurlyStevo)
> [...]
>
> I've had a couple of late 90's Civics (a 1.4 and a 1.5), both very reliable and cheap to maintain (and quite good to drive). Sold the 1.4 with 160k on the clock only because I wanted an estate car.
>
> To the OP: Nowt wrong with a Focus!

Yeah I think the late 90's model (6th gen) was super reliable, even better than the 2001 - 2005 model. 2001 and 2002 did have some teething problems (as is very common on new models of car) that they ironed out by 2004 / 2005.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...