UKC

Which rugged waterproof compact?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 25 Sep 2013
I'm thinking of getting a Pentax wg-3, has anyone used this or could they recommend something better? As I was thinking of getting myself a basic GPS, is it worth getting the GPS version or would I be better off buying separate devices? All ideas / suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Shearwater 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mark Kemball:
GPS in cameras just eats battery, tends not to be very good and might slow down some operations, too. There are a few tools about that can geotag your photos given a GPX log if you really, really needed such functionality.

I'm more in favour of getting a standard compact with a waterproof case. They're not quite so rugged, admittedly, but they're vastly better cameras for the same price. When I'm not actually swimming or in driving rain, I just use an old canon compact in a little peli case and extract it when needed.
 Mountain Llama 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mark Kemball: Olympus stylus tg 830 topped which? recent test of waterproof cameras
OP Mark Kemball 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mark Kemball: Thanks for the ideas, has anyone used any of these? I want something rugged that I can easily carry on climbs and can also happily take in the sea.

Cheers.
 John Kelly 25 Sep 2013

Olympus Stylus TG-830

we have owned one for 3-4 years

pretty tough, used for - winter, trad, swimming (sea,river,lake,pool), jumping in ghylls, using as a mace by 5 yr old

'dropping'
we have done quite a bit of this
wife dropped it a couple of time(bent it dropping it on a boulder)
the kids (3 of them) have all dropped and abused it
this summer i dropped it 4-5m down a 'step' on Cillan head.

In the late summer during a swim in Blea Tarn water penetrated the camera while filming underwater at depth 2m
i think the years of dropping and abuse had loosened the seals
the camera died

tried to dry it out in airing cupboard, no good
finally took it apart (easy, just remember how to rebuild)and dried it again
hurrah its working again
it can't go underwater any more but its a tough cookie and takes decent photos
I am going to buy another tough

Alex Ekins 25 Sep 2013
Group review here- http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2013-waterproof-roundup?utm_campaign=intern...

I have use Canon and it was excellent
OP Mark Kemball 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mark Kemball: Thanks for all the comments, I'm now inclined to go for the Olympus TG, any more suggestions welcome.
 TobyA 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Mark Kemball: Not sure what your price range is, but I wrote a bit about the Fuji XP200 in this thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=564134&v=1#x7506022 just the other day.
Panasonic Lumix FT2 is very compact, solid and takes decent photos. Only been on one trip so we'll have to see how it stands up to punishment.

Personally I prefer lightweight to GPS when climbing.
OP Mark Kemball 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Kemball: Thanks again for all the advice, my Olympus TG-830 arrived today, just in time for a fell walking trip to the lakes.
 John Kelly 06 Oct 2013

you're going to have to really wet to test it
wetsuit in a ghyll is my tip
enjoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...