UKC

the danger of commuting?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 supafly 25 Sep 2013
I am thinking of taking up commuting to work, I'm starting to wonder how dangerous it actually is. Some questions:

1) Do you commute to work? (on a bicycle)
2) How long for?
3) Ever been involved in an accident? (details if you would like as well)
Shearwater 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:
Probably should ask what sort of roads people tend to use, too. Half a mile of quite cycle path isn't quite the same as a busy main road, after all...
 Phil79 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

Regular-ish bike commuter, 2-3 times a week for last 3 years (although not in the last few months). 15 mile round trip on busy A roads (70% rural, 30% urban). No accidents, but a few near misses.
In reply to supafly: I do mainly 10 miles on quiet roads and a small element of town cycling. You'll have incidents and they usually involve drivers trying to overtake you with no space and then turning left on you. That's the most common. Roundabouts are a major hazard as well.....Do it, it's fun....
 Toby S 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

It isn't dangerous at all.

I commute to work every day. Work is five miles away but I usually take the long way home via past the river and through the woods which is about 10 miles in total. Nice views towards Loch Ness too

I've been doing it for about 4 years and I've never been in an accident. I get the odd numpty motorist to contend with but no more than if I were driving (less so in fact). The closest call I've had was from a fellow cyclist last week! He wasn't looking and came flying round a stationary lorry without checking what was coming and both he and I had to slam the brakes on. He fishtailed towards me before decking it. I was fine though
 Neil Williams 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

Depends where you live and work. If London is involved, it's probably fairly dangerous due to the horrendous traffic, though skilled cycling should mitigate to a reasonable extent. If Milton Keynes or somewhere in the Netherlands with excellent dedicated infrastructure, it isn't above noise level.

Neil
 Nick Harvey 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:
1. Yes.

2. For eight years ish i guess. When i first got a job, I lasted two days on the train before resorting to my very unsuitable full susser (now ride a fixie). Cycle through London, ten miles each way, come rain or shine. Settled snow stops me, that is it.

3. A few, its par for the course:
- used get a tow now and again - a truck accelerated and yanked me off bike, broke little finger. Kinda my fault.
- Rim blew up, locked front wheel, flipped me, tube exploded like a gunshot all in middle of Holborn junction.
- slipped on ice - suspected fractured scaphoid and sprained wrist
- Car door opened on me
- Car turned across me without indicating - landed on head, fine but helmet in two pieces
- a few others not worth mentioning

That sounds a lot but isn't really, in a hundred miles per week. I don't think its very dangerous at all. Now arguments and road rage is another story...
 yorkshireman 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

> 1) Do you commute to work? (on a bicycle)

I used to when I lived in London. 2-3 times a week (would run the rest). Depending on where I lived at the time it was 3-6 miles and terminated in the West end/Soho/Regent Street.

> 2) How long for?
8 years.

> 3) Ever been involved in an accident? (details if you would like as well)
Nothing serious. Once I pegged it along a cycle lane on Tavistock place and hit an overturned construction barrier and went flying over the handlebars. Nothing injured but my pride.

Couple of close calls where I had to brake hard. Quite useful as a wakeup call though.

Liam M 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly: I commute about 10k daily through central Leeds. For the most part it is incident free, with just a handful of very close calls normally from people (drivers, cyclists and pedestrians) not concentrating and making silly or reckless moves.

You can usually spot those who will move in a peculiar way or who aren't observing what's going on and take appropriate action.

I have on a couple occasions been threatened, bizarrely, given the usual rants about lights and filtering levelled at cyclists, on both occasions for sitting in line in traffic at red lights. That was rather more scary, especially when one tried to side swipe me and then lock up in front of me as he passed. Fortunately such incidents are very rare.
In reply to supafly:

But in answer to your questions:-

I used to, a change of job made it impractical, however I now cycle to the station when going to our Slough office by train or to London.

2) How long for?

2ish years. Or if you mean how far, it was about 5 miles mainly on Milton Keynes Redways but a short length of road.

Got knocked off turning right across traffic (my own stupid fault). Got away with it though, other than a very sore knee for a long time (climbing seems to have fixed it). A few minor ones as well generally involving coming off on ice or water (the Redways aren't gritted).

Broke my finger crashing into a bridge parapet on the canal last week, but that wasn't commuting.

Neil
 Rubbishy 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

I used to frequently (and less so now due to logistics) do a 50 mile commute 3 times a week.

The biggest dangers I faced were

1) red light jumping Leeds buses

2) F*ckpebbles parking in the bus lane on Otley Road so little Chlamydia and her over arching sense of self entitlement could get to prep school 15 seconds quicker

3) Parents of the above Chlamyida arriving or departing

But to be honest, the vast majority of drivers were fine. It's all about thinking 3 moves ahead. think of it as being chess on a bike.

It tends to be the wobblers with the Greg Lemond style hlemets on the back of their heads who come off worse as they don't make a clear and obvious change of direction and statement of intent. I think a lot of drivers hit cyclists simply because they are unpredictable.

If you need the whole lane, take the whole lane.

If you're turning right look over your shoulder in an obvious manner to alert drivers.

Look drivers in the eye at junctions and roundabouts - that eye contact can be a lifesaver

Avoid scooting up the inside of cars - it feels exposed but go along the offside - that's so oncoming drivers turning will see you and the queued traffic will see you in the mirror they (should) use most

If you are going to get knocked off your bike, do it within eyeshot of an Eddie Stobart driver - a few mates have and they see themselves as uber professional drivers and will back up the cyclist against an errant driver (if that's the case).

In reply to Nick Harvey:

"Now arguments and road rage is another story..."

Avoidable. Assume every other road user is an idiot and you won't change that. Humour them instead of getting cross at them. And cycle defensively rather than aggressively (easier said than done in London I suppose).

Neil
 tlm 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

1. Yes
2. I've been doing it for... erm... 38 years if you count school too! At the moment, I cycle 4.5 miles to work, down and up hill, then 4.5 miles back. In my experience, you can often find much quieter ways of cycling than you can driving, and I use a mix of quiet roads, cycle lanes, cut throughs and footpaths. I have no qualms about cycling slowly and carefully on a footpath if it saves me having to cycle around a manic 3 lane roundabout, where I am likely to get killed, and always give way to pedestrians.
3. Yes. Several! One when I was about 12, when I was ill and didn't look properly before pulling out into a road. I got hit by a motorbike and knocked out, so had stitches in my head (no helmets in those days), but otherwise was fine.
I cycled with a carrier bag on my handlebars when I was 17, looked behind me and it went into the front wheel. I took off half my face (no helmet), knocked myself out and had stitches in my chin and eyebrow, but then was fine, with no scarring.
I cycled towards another cyclist on a path through a university in my 20s, and we both went to the left, then both to the right, then both to the left, then headbutted one another (no helmet) and this time, I didn't lose conciousness, but I did have concussion.
In my 30s I cycled towards a roundabout, looked a driver right in the eye, so I thought he had seen me, then he pulled out and ran me over, knocking my head onto the road (no helmet) but I didn't get knocked out, but had some steristrips from the doctor to stick me together.

I now wear a helmet all the time!

I have also had a variety of smaller things, falling off on black ice, having someone pull out from a side road, kids running across the road in front of me etc, which haven't resulted in any serious injury. I broke my hand coming off my mountain bike in some woods once.

I LOVE cycling to work! It is one of my criteria for working somewhere! It is a basic level of exercise in your life, gets you outdoors every day and is very energising. You get to see the autumn leaves, squirrels, blossom, people walking their dogs etc.
 malky_c 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly: Sounds like a good idea - not sure why you'd have a problem.

I've commuted by bike to work in Inverness for the last 6 years or so - 5 days a week (mostly), 8-10 miles a day (depending on route), mostly urban but not exactly busy. No issues or crashes (sliding on a patch of ice doesn't really count).

At various times, I've commuted similar distances in Warrington, Birmingham and Dundee. All a bit busier than where I am now, but still no issues.
 malky_c 25 Sep 2013
In reply to malky_c: In fact, like tlm above, I'd grudge working somewhere where I couldn't do it.
 tlm 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

Oh - I forgot to say, you will notice how I have had less accidents as I have got older! I am very assertive now in how I ride, wearing a fluorescent jacket and helmet, indicating clearly, taking road space where I need it and looking in all directions simultaneously to make sure no one is doing anything mad. I've only had an accident once in every 7000 or so journeys, which isn't bad in my book and it has never put me off as quite honestly, most of those 4 accidents were my fault through being young, unobservant and careless.
 tlm 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

The ctc say that:

"Cycling is essentially a safe activity, causing little risk either to cyclists themselves or to other
road users. Moreover, there is good evidence that cyclists gain from ‘safety in numbers’, with
cycling becoming safer as cycle use increases.
• However, fear of road traffic is a major deterrent, despite the health, environmental and other
benefits of cycling. In 2011, 61% of people surveyed on their attitudes agreed or strongly
agreed that “it is too dangerous for me to cycle on the roads.”

http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/public/road-safety-overview.pdf
 nniff 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

Varies - usually, when I'm working in London and frequently when I'm working out of town. Commute varies between 10 miles each way for London, 8 miles each way out of town (or train, 15 miles and 40 miles home). Most of the time I drive parts and cycle the rest. E.g I drive into London to where the traffic starts, park, get the bike out and off I go. That way it's an hour door to door to Hammersmith compared to 1:45 by train.

London's OK when you know your route. My biggest hazards are being closed off on the approach to parked cars and pinch points at traffic islands.

Out of town, it's people passing too close becauase they're following too close to the car in front and don't see you (or have brain in neutral). THat and people pulling out on roundabouts, or passing and turning left.

Only one collision when someone pulled outon me on a roundabout - I ride a fixie (not on the 40 mile effort), locked up the back wheel and slid sideways into the car. She kept on going, with me with left arm on the roof, and left foot knocked out of the pedal. It being a fixie, the cranks kept turning and the pedal drew big spirograph scratches in her paintwork. She drove off, never to be seen again.

A few rapid stops, but nothing beyond that, although there was the incident of the big gang mower that went for the big overtaking manouevre around some golfers - I stared death in the face that day and I did see that its name was "Made in Sheffield"!
 Toby S 25 Sep 2013
In reply to malky_c:

You know I think I've seen you a few times commuting on the bike. Keep meaning to shout 'oi are you malky c?' as I go past but that would most likely be a bit weird.
 AndyC 25 Sep 2013
In reply to dale1968:
> (In reply to supafly) tis dangerous http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=562703

Heh! That was 2 weeks ago, in fact 2 weeks ago today they sliced open my arm and wired the bone back together. It still hurts like hell! Before that I had 5 years commuting year round in Oslo with only a rare close shave to worry about. Then some daydreaming youth crosses into my lane of a 2-way cycle path. With hindsight I was obviously going too fast downhill, but no different to what I and several hundred others had been doing every day. Wrong place at the wrong time. At least I didn't land in the road.

Besides the pain and medical expenses, it's also cost me a trek in Nepal and I'm now paying 10 quid a day in rail fares.

I will get back on the bike when the arm is fixed!
 Toby S 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

Another tip, try and go on maintenance courses if, like me, you're a complete thicko when it comes to fettling. I was on a 30 minute course this afternoon with a local group and I learned that a) my commuting bike needs some TLC and b) sorting brakes and gears isn't actually that hard to do.

My back brake died on me a few days ago and I've been coming down the Milton of Leys hill with only a (just) working front brake, it makes life... interesting.
 The New NickB 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

Statistically only slightly more dangerous than driving a car and much less dangerous than riding a motorbike. The health benefits generally mean you live longer as well. They did an analysis on 'More or less' last week, it will be on the iPlayer.
 Chris the Tall 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:
1) Yes - average of 4 days a week
2) 24 years (approx. 96% of my working life!)
3) Not really - I've sworn at a quite a few drivers, reported one bus driver for cutting me up whilst on his mobile and crashed due to a) chain braking b)ice c)oil on road d)not getting my foot out of clip at pedestrian crossing !

My commute is only 2 miles, but frequently extend it to 10 or 20 by going off into the woods/moor etc. Particularly in the summer. Or in the snow.

I've got a feeling that drivers in Sheffield, or at least my part of Sheffield, are better than the national average. I guess its the high number of outdoor enthusiasts around here, plus the number of cyclists, but I've noticed an improvement in standards in the last few years, and none of the antagonism you apparently get elsewhere.
 tlm 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> none of the antagonism you apparently get elsewhere.

I get no antagonism, but lots of cars letting me out, pedestrians letting me through, cheery waves, encouragement up hills etc...

gethin_allen 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:
I do about 5 miles each way 3 days a week on average ( I get lazy and drive a bit when the weather is really crap.
I've been doing this for 2 years and so far have only fallen off once due to slippery leaves on the lines of a box junction. Although this doesn't reflect that I have had quite a few near misses avoiding motorists and pedestrians.
My top tips would be:
Get a bright jacket and good lights,
Ride confidently and indicate so people know what you are doing.
Stay off the road paint, it's slippery as hell and can result in a trip to A+E.
 Trevers 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

I've cycled to work just twice (been working for about 18 months now).

Watford to Central London is a pretty long way for a commute (22 miles each way).

London drivers are terrifying. On the first journey I was cut up, beeped at and nearly run over left right and center. One incident that stood out were being cut up by THREE f*ckwits in a row turning across me at the large junction outside Euston. I then found myself halfway across the junction, disorientated, and continued across after the lights had switched. Had to beat the cars now heading straight at me to the other side and then weave through a crowd of crossing pedestrians. The worst bit was that it made me look like the dick.
Then later that same day, a car coming up from behind me in the lane to my right tried to turn through me into the side road opening on my left. We both slammed on brakes and he stopped 2 inches away from me. Then he started shouting at me!
I had to brake hard so much on that journey that I shredded my rear outer.

On my second commute, I went with a very aggressive 'f*** you' attitude, took the lane at all times and came through without a single near miss

Ultimately I found it mentally shattering, I would start the morning wide awake but then begin to crash. Also you spend so much time sitting in my traffic that my arse was just agony
 Nutkey 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Trevers:
> (In reply to supafly)
>
> I've cycled to work just twice (been working for about 18 months now).
>
> Watford to Central London is a pretty long way for a commute (22 miles each way).
>
> London drivers are terrifying.

Interesting - I found it better than Cambridge!

> On my second commute, I went with a very aggressive 'f*** you' attitude, took the lane at all times and came through without a single near miss

Ah. Yes, always take the lane.

And assume that if an Addison Lee driver can lane-drift, suddenly turn from the wrong lane, or pull over and stop without warning, he will. 90% of the time you'll be right... They have no clue where they are, and drive on sat nav.
 Wee Davie 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

I do a bit of cycle commuting. Most of mine is on cycle paths so it's mostly off the main roads. The main risk is the isolation as there are long sections where you are alone on a path. Cycling home one Friday evening I counted three groups of junior jakies getting huckled by the Polis.

I also did a few months of bicycle couriering in Glasgow which was ok risk wise- c.400 miles a week. I heard of a fixie rider who ended up through the back windscreen of a car that stopped suddenly on a hill, but my only accident was a woman in an Audi who pulled out in front of me. I went over her bonnet at a fairly slow speed, wasn't hurt and accepted her apology.

The other couriers were aghast- apparently they make half their money claiming insurance for scrapes like that...
 Trevers 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Nutkey:
> (In reply to Trevers)
>
> Interesting - I found it better than Cambridge!

It could be that it was just a bad day. These things seem to happen in groups
 VS4b 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Trevers:

50 mile round trip between one and three times a week. Done it for 18 mths, few nr misses but nothing too scary. But, half my journey is on the Cambridge guided busway so traffic free.
 Trevers 25 Sep 2013
In reply to VS4b:
> (In reply to Trevers)
>
> 50 mile round trip between one and three times a week. Done it for 18 mths, few nr misses but nothing too scary. But, half my journey is on the Cambridge guided busway so traffic free.

What can I say, I'm unfit :P
 TobyA 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly: Not at the mo', although I still cycle a lot. I used to do about 3000 kms a year mainly commuting. No crashes with cars but most of the biking here is separated, a few crashes from avoiding pedestrians, dog walkers and other cyclists who weren't where you expected them to be. Worst injury a smashed new-ish ipod! A few more just slipping on ice/snow but never much more damaged than my pride in those case.
Talius Brute 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Yes, 45 mile round trip 3 or 4 days most weeks. For many years now. From surrey to canary wharf though centre of London.

I don't like it much in the summer when the nodders are out as they have no idea of normal cycle etiquette, never shoulder check etc etc. Pedestrians are a pain round Westminster. Traffic can be scary on the Highway at some times of day, but broadly, I find it safe - as long as I ride safely and confidently, don't chance my arm etc. Drivers in London expect cyclists so I actually find it safer than out of towm.
Tim Chappell 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Talius Brute:

My experience too--London is a very good place to cycle, on the whole. Quite often I cycle to Euston from a friend's who lives in Kew, and that ride, up through Battersea and Kensington, always seems about the safest in-town cycling I do anywhere.

When I worked at Manchester U. in the mid-nineties I used to cycle there from Rammy down the A56. Now that was *terrifying*. I got so convinced I was going to die that I stopped.
paulcarey 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

been commuting in London as well cycling to get around the city for 15 years. Only a few minor incidents over the years - a couple of pedestrian collisions & a moped. NOthing too serious just bruises - touch wood it stays that way!

i miss it when I don't it, but would defintetly recommend finding the back roads to use when you can.
 Trevers 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Talius Brute:
> (In reply to Trevers)
>
> Yes, 45 mile round trip 3 or 4 days most weeks. For many years now. From surrey to canary wharf though centre of London.
>
> I don't like it much in the summer when the nodders are out as they have no idea of normal cycle etiquette, never shoulder check etc etc. Pedestrians are a pain round Westminster. Traffic can be scary on the Highway at some times of day, but broadly, I find it safe - as long as I ride safely and confidently, don't chance my arm etc. Drivers in London expect cyclists so I actually find it safer than out of towm.

I wanted to get into doing it as a regular thing but never got into it. I think the first commute shook me, plus all the traffic probably adds 50% to the journey time.

South of the river seemed pretty benign to me. It was the stretch between Edgware Road Station and London Bridge that was scary.
 Brass Nipples 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:
> I am thinking of taking up commuting to work, I'm starting to wonder how dangerous it actually is. Some questions:
>
> 1) Do you commute to work? (on a bicycle)

Yes, 20 miles a day, 5 days a week. Longer extended routes if in the mood.
> 2) How long for?
25 years
> 3) Ever been involved in an accident? (details if you would like as well)
No

Padraig 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

You do realise that no matter HOW many folk answer your question....UNLESS they do EXACTLY the same journey/s as you and commute by the same means as you this thread is pretty fceking meaningless? But I'm guessing you knew that???
 KingStapo 25 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

London: over 4 years, cycling between 10 and 20 miles per day probably 4.5 days a week - accidents: cycled into the side of a cab once, attempting to over take him whilst he attempted a U-ee. All my fault, no injury or damage. And i ploughed into a Brazilian pedestrian once, don't know how, but we were both fine.

Derby: 4.5 years, about 7 miles per day 5 days a week, knocked off my bike by a dozy cow turning left at a junction i was attempting to go straight on at. She even overtook me to make sure she got me! "I thought you signalled left" - doesn't matter, you don't overtake a bike on a turn.

Just be careful and wear a helmet and you'll be fine
 malky_c 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to malky_c)
>
> You know I think I've seen you a few times commuting on the bike. Keep meaning to shout 'oi are you malky c?' as I go past but that would most likely be a bit weird.

That would be amusing - I'd probably fall off due to shock!
I don't think I've actually met you, although your wife used to work in the same place as me a few years back.
 steev 26 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

Have bike commuted on and off for the last 15 years or so. Used to get in quite a lot of near-misses but thankfully no real accidents. Am a much more patient cyclist now (and more experienced, I guess) so the near-misses really are a rarity.
 Brev 26 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

1) yes. Not very far though, about 2 miles each way, 3-5 times a week.
2) 20 years, including 12 years of cycling to school.
3) twice. Once a driver opened their car door without looking and once a driver entered a roundabout without looking properly. I generally cycle on busy streets, so traffic is moving slow or is stationary, and as I cycle fairly slow, the damage in both accidents has been limited to my bike & clothes (and possibly their cars), no personal injuries.
JMGLondon 26 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:
7 years every day into central London (from various places in South, North, and currently East London). 1 fall (tried to ride in on a snow day - lacked appropriate talent); no serious incidents with vehicles; couple of near misses with pedestrians; daily bewilderment at HGVs running red lights.

tlm 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Trevers:

> South of the river seemed pretty benign to me. It was the stretch between Edgware Road Station and London Bridge that was scary.

Isn't there a choice of a zillion options, what with all the little side roads between those two locations? I always think that towns have those multiple choices, but country lanes are scary, particularly at night, when there is no choice of which way to go and no pavement to escape onto in an emergency, and the drivers aren't expecting a bike...

VS4b 26 Sep 2013
In reply to tlm:

Country lanes are ok - i really like the quiet and you get to see a lot of wildlife - bats, owl especially cool. Just get well lit - altura night vision top + three rear lights seems to work ok!
 Wile E. Coyote 26 Sep 2013
> I am thinking of taking up commuting to work, I'm starting to wonder how dangerous it actually is. Some questions:
>

Yes, I wanted to complement my current training with cycling so I got a new bike through CycleScheme

2) How long for?

I'm in my second week now and loving it.

Nope, not yet. Have had pedestrians step out infront of me and a couple of cars. I'm sure there are many more to come, just be aware of as much as you can.

My advice is do it. I'm only commuting 5.5km (11km return) but it's great and I get to ride the ferry everyday. Beats the sweaty bus/train.

Some photos from the other morning. Makes it worth it!

http://distilleryimage6.s3.amazonaws.com/b1fd6d3024ea11e3899a22000a9f4dc8_7...

http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/16d6407424eb11e383f722000a1fbd91_...

http://distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws.com/0f275eb824ea11e3a6b822000aeb0b89_7...
 TomBaker 26 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:
Couldn't be bothered to read entire threat. I commute about 7 miles each way 3 times a week ish and have done for the last 4 years.

Its mostly along urban roads (normally full of cars)

I've never been in an accident, if by that you mean serious damage to me/the bike, i have however been squeezed off the bike by people pulling into cycle lanes etc whilst filtering.

Things to watch out for:-

Anyone moving to the left of the road, be it at lights in slow moving traffic etc, almost noone checks their mirrors before pulling into the curb. And some of those that do, then purposely move in anyway.

That said i enjoy my cycle and if you keep your eyes open then you shouldn't go far wrong.
 Budge 26 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

More or less discussed this this week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03b2zbk

Main conclusion you get more benefit than risk
 edunn 26 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

1). Yes, 13 miles (26 round trip) from South East to central London, through Lewisham and along the A2.

2). 2-3 x per week for the past 5 years

3). Twice: once my chain snapped and I went flying over my handlebars, landed on my knee and had 'housemaid's knee' for a couple of weeks. Second accident was coming down a hill, fast when a guy stepped off the pavement in front of me. He came off worse than me as he was quite fat and absorbed most of the impact. He literally rolled down the hill away from me. His chicken kebab went all over me.

On a general note I find it more 'dangerous' when the roads are empty. When traffic is heavy it's generally slower and more predictable, but when it's late at night and the roads are empty you get nutters speeding up to traffic lights etc and generally becoming less aware of what's around them. You will always the odd knob who changes lane suddenly and without warning, but you get a sixth sense for it and can tell when people are about to do it. People also go totally mental as soon as it starts raining.
 Trevers 26 Sep 2013
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to Trevers)
>
> [...]
>
> Isn't there a choice of a zillion options, what with all the little side roads between those two locations? I always think that towns have those multiple choices, but country lanes are scary, particularly at night, when there is no choice of which way to go and no pavement to escape onto in an emergency, and the drivers aren't expecting a bike...

I was navigating by memory, so main roads was the best option really.
 Noelle 26 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:
I just started cycling again after a ten-year hiatus. My PhD funding has ended and I can't afford to pay for bus fares for the whole week, so I invested in a 2nd-hand bike. I go into Dublin on it a few times per week.

It's quite a short cycle (20-30mins not sure about the distance as everything is in KMs over here) and the traffic is so bad in the centre of Dublin that it's actually loads quicker than the bus!

Just had one or two near misses from taxi's getting too close or numpties overtaking me then turning left right in front of me. I have learned to spot American tourists in hire cars and give them a wide berth. (Driving on the 'wrong' side and having to contend with a manual gearbox must be a nightmare, in their defence!)

What *really* helped me was that I 'broke myself back in' while the school holidays were still on and perfected my route and hand-signalling, gear shifting etc., without having to contend with rush-hour traffic. Now I feel confident about cycling on busy roads. Maybe you also could do some practice runs at calmer times of the day?

Oh and wearing a f**k-off bright yellow vest, coat or rucksack cover gives drivers no excuse to "not see" you!
 Adam Long 26 Sep 2013
In reply to supafly:

Yes,

Seven years or so, three miles each way into central Sheffield. Have done a couple of different routes in that time.

Nothing serious, a couple of close shaves.

Common scenario: stationary queuing traffic whilst you cruise down an empty bus lane. Ahead, a car wants to turn onto the road from a side road on your left. A car in the queue waves them out - they NEVER check the bus lane.

Worst accident was passing a skip in the bus lane. As there was traffic in the bus lane, I kept tight in. The corner of a tarpaulin on the skip suddenly blew out in the breeze and snagged my left handlebar - over the bars before I'd seen it.

Worst near miss was being outrageously cut up leaving a big roundabout - he clipped me with his wing mirror. At the red lights 100yds further on I gave him a piece of my mind. I realised at that point my life was not in y hands with such idiots about, and I now take a slighter longer, slower route on cycle paths (daily full of oblivious peds, but not as dangerous!). Fun as it is to have Strava running whilst you bomb past traffic, its definitely worth considering the slow scenic route at least part of the time.

Plus side is I get to work quicker, in a much better mood, and never get unexpectedly held up. And keep fit, to some extent. Unfortunately as of two weeks ago I am now driving via the nursery...
 Howardw1968 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Adam Long:
cant you put a seat on the bike?
 Armadillo 26 Sep 2013

>
> Plus side is I get to work quicker, in a much better mood, and never get unexpectedly held up. And keep fit, to some extent. Unfortunately as of two weeks ago I am now driving via the nursery...

I'm solving that problem with my mid-life crisis bike - one of these...

http://www.joe-bike.com/bikes/cargo-bikes/yuba-mundo-v4/

Scroll down to see how much beer it can carry
 Adam Long 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Howardw1968:
> (In reply to Adam Long)
> cant you put a seat on the bike?

Potentially, yeah. Wife isn't very keen....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...