UKC

nice weekend in the cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy hunter 25 Sep 2013

Turned out nice at the weekend in the Cairngorms. Did anyone else get out and about and see the sun? We walked in Glen Einich, up Coire Dhondail, across the eastern Moine Mhor and over both Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain. Camped down in Glen Geusachan.

The mist stayed high enough to get some views - the colours of the grasses and mosses were amazing. So many different yellows and oranges and golds and greens. A bit blowy on the tops, but not bad. We descended down Coire Cath nan Fionn and the views into Glen Geusachan were tremendous. What a glen! The huge U shape and exposed slabs on either side and the windng river. Superb.

The wind picked up through the night and some of the gusts were ridiculous. We'd gone light, so were just in an akto shell and it shook like the tent in The Blair Wich Project at times.

Went round to see Corrour Bothy's upgrade - the thronal shunky and all! Sounds like it gives a good night's sleep now. Nice to chat to the various people in it and it would be interesting to hear what folk think of the work.

The weather started poorly and we met folk who'd been on the plateau and said it was miserable. The Beeb forecast came true, though, and after a slog up Corrie Odhar we got great views at lunch on the Devil's Point and they just kept gettng better going over Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochan Uaine. A super-speedy chap past us and i swear he was wearing peep-toe samba trainers !

By that time Cairn Gorm and Macdui were clear - Braeriach didn't quite lift though. I'd forgotten how green Cairn Toul is with the mass of lichen on it. There's still two sizable snow patches left on Braeriach, high in the SW corner. A lovely walk off the southern flanks took us to Corrie Dhondail again, crossing a lovely high burn - is it Alt Luineag? Feeds south-ish into the Feshie I guess. But it was a hell of a walk out - nice but it took us to about 45km for the weekend. ouch.

A walk like that really brings to life Nan Shepherds book 'The Living Mountan' which I'd recomend to anyone.

Anyway, many thanks to the folk we met for good chat and company.
JinjaCoo 26 Sep 2013
In reply to andy hunter:

It was indeed a good one and definitely one a bike would make easier.
Tim Chappell 26 Sep 2013
In reply to andy hunter:

Did you see the reindeer? The whole herd was gathered around the top of Fhuaran Dhe' when I was up there last month.
JinjaCoo 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

No, no reindeer, nor any other deer. Just birdies.
OP andy hunter 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: a pity we didn't, Tim. 4th time i've been on that plateau and no sign ! did see two being unloaded from a lorry one frozen morning a few years back in the lower ski car park tho. odd site in the mist as they were led up to their pen. check out 'jinja coo' blog site for story and photos - and so much more!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...