UKC

West Coast Odyssey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andy14 26 Sep 2013
Funny, fearless and fit companion (female) sought for West of Scotland adventure June 2014.

Itinerary relaxed and flexible but could include cycle-touring combined with scrambles or classic climbs around Arran, Lochaber and Skye.

Companion requirements: useful if able to lead at VS or above but not an absolute requirement. I am an MIA holder who has been out of the game for a while, now just looking for tasty mountain days spiced with laughs and the odd kick of adrenaline. Just as happy to travel with someone just getting into leading (or aspiring to) as someone who leads stuff I can only dream of.

Thinking of starting on Arran: some very high quality scrambling and climbing possibilities around Glen Rosa/A'Chir (A'Chir Ridge, Pagoda Ridge and South Ridge Direct are among the finest routes in the UK at the grade).

Then by bike northwards via Upper Kintyre. Optional stopovers/detours around Glencoe/Glen Nevis before heading for Mallaig. Wonderful cycling country. Then Skye - maybe a look at the Cuillin Ridge traverse. That's just a maybe. It's a holiday not a mission.

Cycle-touring with a climbing rack? Not as daunting/crazy as it sounds. Just a matter of cutting back on the mileage and being prepared to get off and walk on the ascents. Rest/recovery days as required. Super-fitness definitely not a pre-requisite.

I've been using a very average hybrid bike, aluminium frame. Modest price, plenty of tents cost more. But it's tough - has seen some serious action in Norway and has survived being buried by big heavy suitcases in the boot of a bus. That's another story.

Next June might seem like a long way off but it'll soon come round.

Contact me directly by email for further info and thoughts: andy14 (at)sustainability (dot)ie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...