UKC

ring of steall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Wylie 27 Sep 2013
Hi folks,

Ideas just popped up in my head of doing the ring of steall tomorrow. I Have the dog with me so was just wondering how technical the scrambly parts are. He's done the scrambly ridge (can't remember name of it) on Angel peak in the cairngorms and runs much faster than his owner....

cheers

Jon
 kwoods 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Wylie: I only downclimbed the top 50m of Angel's Peak NE Ridge - where I gather its at its most difficult? But if your dog can do that I think he'd be ok. The Devil's Ridge at its technical hardest has got a bypass path. Over the rooftop, it's an easy path but completely unforgiving of a slip.

An Garbhanach has a weird bit, as well, can't remember much though.
OP Jon Wylie 27 Sep 2013
In reply to kwoods:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I just had another look at my munro book and it looks like you have to cross the wire bridge over the river past the gorge, this might be a gamechanger as I can't see another way of doing it apart from maybe starting at kinlochleven: don't know if this is very aesthetic and involves some doubling back..boohoo

Jon

Removed User 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Wylie:

If you go further up either by doing the next munros or (I think) by just walking up stream a bit you should be able to ford the river without too much trouble.

OP Jon Wylie 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks Eric,

Still a bit concerned though, he is great on scrambles but a bit of a Jessie river crossing. Looks quite wide on the map and the mutt is too big to carry across...

Jon
Removed User 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Wylie:

Yes, I've just checked on Memory Map. Last year I crossed the river somewhere around 204 684 which for you would mean descending down the NE facing corrie off An Gearanach and add a mile or two to your trip.
 Siward 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Wylie:
big rucksack,
carry dog
 Billhook 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Wylie:

As Eric9points says, a hundred or so yards upstream the river is easily fordable in boots if its been relatively dry. The dog won't even notice.
OP Jon Wylie 27 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Wylie:

Cheers guys

Jon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...