UKC

Seems the Geordie officers need a refresher

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mikkel 28 Sep 2013
In reply to Stealth:

I noticed this comment
"It's a space cyclists need to get away safely from traffic lights."

They never had those boxes in Denmark, but did a trial and found they actually caused a lot of accidents!
 AndyC 28 Sep 2013
In reply to Mikkel:
> (In reply to Stealth)
>
> They never had those boxes in Denmark, but did a trial and found they actually caused a lot of accidents!

That would explain why they are starting to appear in Norway... they usually wait until something is proved not to work before going ahead regardless.

In reply to Mikkel:
> (In reply to Stealth)
>
> I noticed this comment
> "It's a space cyclists need to get away safely from traffic lights."
>
> They never had those boxes in Denmark, but did a trial and found they actually caused a lot of accidents!

Not sure where you got that from but they have loads of ASLs in Denmark.
 Mikkel 28 Sep 2013
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
From Danish newspaper article some time last year.
 wintertree 28 Sep 2013
In reply to Mikkel:
> (In reply to Stealth)
>
> I noticed this comment
> "It's a space cyclists need to get away safely from traffic lights."
>

I had just selected the exact same line for my post.

Whilst you would hope the driver would have known better than to rant, I abhor these boxes as both a cyclist and a motorist. If the cyclist can't get safely away from the lights without a box like this he should put his stabilisers back on and play on the driveway.

I don't tend to use them as the last thing I want to do is sail up the inside of a load of cars (with all the hazards that invites) and then rub their noses in it by holding them up moving off from the lights.

tim000 28 Sep 2013
In reply to Stealth: i wonder if any action was taken against the policeman . if he has crossed the stop line and entered the box hasn`t he run a red light . wasn`t there a cyclist done for this last week.
 andy 28 Sep 2013
In reply to wintertree: not my experience at all - gives you somewhere to sit in front of the cars without having to go over the stop line (there's usually a cycle lane up to it, but i sometimes filter up the right) and i can get across a junction safely without the risk of getting side swiped by a car turning left. I can get away over the first ten yards quicker than a car, so having an extra start means i'm safely away from the junction before i get overtaken.
Squarf 28 Sep 2013
In reply to Stealth: plus 1 ^^^
 TeeBee 29 Sep 2013
In reply to andy:

> gives you somewhere to sit in front of the cars without having to go over the stop line (there's usually a cycle lane up to it, but i sometimes filter up the right) and i can get across a junction safely without the risk of getting side swiped by a car turning left. I can get away over the first ten yards quicker than a car, so having an extra start means i'm safely away from the junction before i get overtaken.

All this, and they also mean you can wait without having to breathe in quite so much exhaust.
 Fat Bumbly2 30 Sep 2013
I got the heavy treatment once for cycling in a bus, taxi and bike only lane. It got quite nasty when I pointed to the sign - time to back down on the cornered rat principle. Quite a lesson.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...