UKC

Badly sprained knee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen-1992 28 Sep 2013
I've got an acute Lateral Collateral Ligament sprain and I'm currently unable to straighten or bend my leg fully unsure if due to swelling or a tear. However I have a small and my first ultra marathon (50K) in 3 weeks.

Starting physio on Monday. Is it a stupid idea to attempt the ultra with a view to complete and not compete? This is dependent on what the physiotherapist says

Its just a shame to waste 6 months of training
 Banned User 77 28 Sep 2013
In reply to anon127: Give it a few days until the swelling goes down. Depends on the severity. If you've torn a ligament/tendon then no chance.
 Tom Valentine 29 Sep 2013
In reply to anon127:

I've got the same but the doc is unsure how severe so is referring me to hospital. If yours is anything like mine I'll be happy just to be walking normally in 3 weeks.
 Wonrek 29 Sep 2013
In reply to anon127: is this the Bideford Bay 50k you're talking about? It promises to be a very tough and hilly course and even going with a view to complete could lead to more damage.
OP Owen-1992 29 Sep 2013
In reply to Wonrek: No it's the Ennerdale 50km which is luckily relatively flat apart from one or two small sections
 Skol 29 Sep 2013
In reply to anon127:
Google RICE regime.
 yorkshireman 30 Sep 2013
In reply to anon127:
> ...I'm currently unable to straighten or bend my leg fully

I had this after completing an ultra marathon about 3 weeks ago. The pain lasted about 10 days, and my doc gave me something to bring the swelling down but didn't actually diagnose anything useful.

I tried a run last Wednesday as the pain had gone away and movement returned, but after about a km I was getting pain again which gradually got worse.

At least I've finished my running objectives for the year, but desperately want to get out again. I'm gathering mine was more of a 'runners knee' injury through overuse, but I'm getting the feeling that resting is just fixing the symptoms and not the cause. Time to find a local sports physio I guess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...