UKC

Things to do in Peak District with kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen W-G 30 Sep 2013
Heading with wife and 5y old over 1/2 term maybe for a couple of nights midweek.

Obviously we will go for a walk where we might chance across some rock, and by happy coincidence I'll happen to have some rock shoes in the bag.

Otherwise, any siggestions to things to do with 5y old? I know peak district pretty well for where rocks are but not as a non-climbing place to visit.

Walk along Dovedale?
Are the attractions in Matlock open in October? Cable car thingy?
Been to Chatsworth already FYI.

Also, suggestions of places to stay? Thinking of Chequers Inn. Any other similar pub B&B suggestions, perhaps with things within walking distance?

Thanks
 drolex 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Owen W-G: The Chestnut Centre (www.chestnutcentre.co.uk) in Chapel-en-le-Frith is nice for children. Otters, owls, foxes, and more owls. Maybe not the right side of the peak...

Caves around Castleton maybe?

For a 5 yo, an initiation to climbing/bouldering (and by that I mean scrambling on top of a 2 ft high boulder) can be seriously considered. I know I started my career of professional punter at this age.
 blurty 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:

Peak district mines museum in Cromford
Speedwell cavern
Chatsworth house gardens & farmyard adventure playground
Buxton swimming baths/ pavilion gardens
Carsington water (bike hire, Canadian canoes, bird hides)
Ilam hall gardens & tea rooms/ Thorpe cloud/ bunster
Tissingon pony trekking
Monsall trail
Bakewell

Check to what's going to be open

Hairy Pete 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Owen W-G: Monsal Dale cycle trail/walk? I believe you can hire bikes at one end. Might be a bit tame for a 5 year old.
 blurty 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Hairy Pete:

Hire a tag along bike at Bakewell. Cycle through the long tunnels & across the epic via-ducts. Tea stops along the way
 Andy Hardy 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:

Tram museum at Crich?

Go kite flying?

Geocaching?
 robert-hutton 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:
Hi couple of ideas of things to do with 5y olds
Gullivers Kingdom at Matlock Bath and stay for the Illuminations are worth a look until 25th october.
Weaseling in the Burbage valley.
Caving at stony??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...