UKC

Ben Alder in a day?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Milesy 30 Sep 2013
What's the chances of doing Ben Alder in a day if I cycle to Culra from Dalwhinnie? What is it like to cycle out to it?
In reply to Milesy: Very do-able. It's actually a tarmac road most of the way, and beyond that a very easily cycled track to culra. From there it's not a big hill day on foot. Do the Leachas ridges.
 tony 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy:

It's fine - that's the way I did it. It's a road quite a long way along the loch. I didn't cycle all the way to Culra, but stopped at Loch Pattack. The track from Loch Pattack to Culra is a wee bit sketchy in places (or it was), and I did see a couple of cyclists struggling with some boggy bits.

You can extend the walk by doing Beinn Bheoil as well, and coming down the N ridge of Beinn Bheoil to meet the path back to Culra. It's a good day out.
ccmm 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
> (In reply to Milesy) Do the Leachas ridges.

And drop off the south east and tick Beinn Bheoil as well.

Milesy, It's a very good ride. Not much point taking a bike past Culra though.

OP Milesy 30 Sep 2013
Perfect. Thank you. Just need next weekend to hold off on the weather for me! Get the hill fitness on track in time for winter.
ccmm 30 Sep 2013
In reply to tony: If one cuts off from the Loch Pattack track and takes the direct route to the bothy it avoids any bog or the iconic bridge crossing by the loch.
 gavmac 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy: its a really good cycle in/out. Easy going as cycles go. Estate road most of the way and good going after that.
 steelbru 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy:
Do all 6, Beinn Bheoil, Ben Alder, then the 4 to the north - long day, but very rewarding
 Simon Caldwell 30 Sep 2013
In reply to tony:

We did it by this route (cycle to just short of Loch Pattack, ascent by one of the Leachas, back via Beinn Bheoil) on 28th December one year. We started cycling just after dawn, and had made it as far as Ben Alder Lodge on the return before it got dark.
http://climbing.me.uk/RaeburnHut/2008-12-28/index.html

A splendid day.
 tony 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Craig Mc:
> (In reply to tony) If one cuts off from the Loch Pattack track and takes the direct route to the bothy it avoids any bog or the iconic bridge crossing by the loch.

That'll be where I went wrong ... I think I'd read something about heading for the shelter by Loch Pattack, which I don't think exists anymore.
 Scomuir 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy:
As others have said, it's very easy if you cycle as far as Culra, particularly if you take the direct path to the bothy rather than continuing on round the landrover track by Loch Pattack. I had a day trip in there back in April carrying skis and it was fine. The path up to Loch a Bhealaich Bheithe is a superb stalkers path. It then degenerates into a bit of a bogfest round the side of the loch. Definitely best to go round the tops instead.
 malky_c 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy: Dead easy - I've done it between trains from Dalwhinnie (using the bike of course).
 GrantM 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Did it earlier this month, took 7 hrs for Alder & Bheoil. Took the cut off path at the hay rick instead of continuing on the land rover track to the bothy, path gets less cyclable once you're past the bothy.
 JCurrie 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy:
Done the four to the north in an easyish day using the bike. Take the direct route to the bothy, as some have already said.
Jase
 CurlyStevo 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> What's the chances of doing Ben Alder in a day if I cycle to Culra from Dalwhinnie? What is it like to cycle out to it?

Its a shame not to combine it with a stay in the haunted ben alder cottage though I got it to myself (with my GF of the time) its a cracking spot.
 CurlyStevo 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
I did that crossing. Had to carry bikes across it in the dark when the bridge was covered in frost and there were stags all over the shop making a right racket mid rutting season! Very memorable!
TOS 30 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Milesy)
> [...]
>
> Its a shame not to combine it with a stay in the haunted ben alder cottage though I got it to myself (with my GF of the time) its a cracking spot.

I hope someone has replaced the broom or had a tidy since I was there; I walked from Dalwhinnie to there via the Drumochter munros and south end of the loch, to arrive knackered.
The place was filthy; half inch deep dirt all over the floor and the last occupants burnt the broom, so no means to clean up either. I had an unplanned continuation to Culra...

Totally agree with the cracking spot comment, the forest next to the loch there is stunning.

andrew ogilvie 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy: If you bike to Culra it will be absolutely no problem at all.
 kend 01 Oct 2013
In reply to JCurrie:
All the easier for having chilled beer waiting for us back at Culra. Mmmmmm.
Jim C 01 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> What's the chances of doing Ben Alder in a day if I cycle to Culra from Dalwhinnie? What is it like to cycle out to it?

I did both in a day. Agree with the extending the day comment (if you have time)

As mentioned, it can get a bid boggy approaching Culra, and if so, abandon the bikes, and hoof it from there.

Talking about 'hoofs', if you see the horses standing around the Bothy, it means there is bad weather coming, and chances are if you ignore it, you will get caught in it on the way up (we did)

If we had just read the signs & sheltered in the bothy for half an hour we would have had a much better experience !)

drmarten 01 Oct 2013
From Dalwhinne I found the hardest part was lifting my bike over the large gate at the gatehouse. It was open on the way back. Somebody is going to tell me there is a gate at the side ...
In reply to drmarten: Yes there is a small access gate at the side (it was off its hinges last time I went) and there is also a cycle by pass - the sign for this is hard to see thought!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...