UKC

Winter is coming, what TV series should I watch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 01 Oct 2013
We'll take it as red, that Breaking Bad is at the top of the list.

Over to the great and good of the forum to inspire me.

Cheers.
 Tom Valentine 01 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Homeland series 3 Starts this Sunday.
 Oceanrower 01 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Escape Artist on BBC.

Mainly because White Spider makes a brief appearance in one episode.
Removed User 01 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

If you've not seen 'Justified' then thats a great ongoing series, plenty to catch up with and I'm looking forward to the new season.
 deepstar 01 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Well given the title of your thread I guess that you have seen "The Game of Thrones" which is what I would have suggested.
 ripper 01 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: standard question: have you seen The Wire and The Sopranos? if not, look no further.
 Blue Straggler 01 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Traffik (C4, 1989, brilliant)
 Blue Straggler 01 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
G.B.H. (C4, 1991, brilliant)
 Padraig 01 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Boardwalk Empire.
 Jimmy1976 01 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
We've been watching 'The Shield' currently just finished season 6 with one left to go. A great series about dirty cops in LA. In a similar vein to The Wire.
Tim Chappell 01 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Winter is coming? Then screw the TV. Sell it. Buy some skis. Buy some ice-tools and crampons.
 Blue Straggler 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Do you do a lot of ski-ing and winter climbing yourself, Tim?

And do you know that The Lemming recently spent a LONG time off work due to a chronic injury of the sort that tends to preclude one from ski-ing and winter climbing?

Tim Chappell 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes, I do plenty of skiing, thank you. Not as much ice-climbing as I'd like, but there we are, life is busy.

I don't know anything about the Lemming's personal situation. But then, I don't have strange obsessions with other posters, as you seem to have with me.

I suggest you get out more.
 Rubbishy 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

The Cedar Tree box set
 graeme jackson 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
The crane Gang BBC2 sunday nights.
the railway . C5 Thursday nights.
 ThunderCat 02 Oct 2013
> (In reply to The Lemming)
> G.B.H. (C4, 1991, brilliant)

I remember that. Really enjoyed it...might dig it out again.

The New NickB 02 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> Yes, I do plenty of skiing, thank you. Not as much ice-climbing as I'd like, but there we are, life is busy.
>
> I don't know anything about the Lemming's personal situation. But then, I don't have strange obsessions with other posters, as you seem to have with me.
>
> I suggest you get out more.

Very Christian Tim.
 Euge 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: I've just started Breaking Bad, on Season 2 and it's OK.
My fav is "The Walking Dead"

E
 rallymania 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

if i find the time this winter i'd like to see

"the newsroom"
"homeland"
"breaking bad"

and i might rewatch

"firefly"
 seankenny 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Our Friends in the North is great. Cracker still very watchable if you didn't see it first time around. Sons of Anarchy is pulp but much fun.
 Blue Straggler 02 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> as you seem to have with me.
>
Don't flatter yourself. I have no obsession with you. I will however pick anyone up on their assertion that everyone should be out ski-ing or climbing or whatever, and also on any feeble attempts to win arguments by calling into doubt the climbing frequency of another poster. And you are far, far from unique in both respects.

Here the OP made a simple request for recommendations of things to watch. And your contribution was puerile and discourteous. I hope you are proud.
 Offwidth 02 Oct 2013

mmmm.. "Currently Professor of Cunning at The University of Life." and "I think it was Toad who said I like to mess with other people's heads. Fair cop I suppose " .... and you get pouty with people who may or may not be taking a pop? Whatever happened to the intellectual smackdown?

I will be doing lots of climbing but when its dark and I'm in the middle of a working week and I have some free time I will be watching series 3 of The Killing.
 graeme jackson 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
get both series of Julia Bradbury's Wainwright walks - you can drool over the scenery in at least two different ways
 Fat Bumbly2 02 Oct 2013
Heimat, especially the first series.
 mattrm 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Justified.

Elmore Leonard is the executive producer (well was) and it's utterly amazing. There's 4 seasons to lap up. Top notch acting and a excellent storyline.
 cfer 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: We have

Breaking Bad
The Wire
Walking Dead
Prison Break S2+
Dexter
Agents of SHIELD
Game of Thrones(refused to watch it until I had read the books)

Not that we will get to watch all of these but hey I can try
 cfer 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: And Sons of Anarchy has been recommended to me so may go on the list also
 Tony the Blade 02 Oct 2013

I'll second Boardwalk Empire, and add to the mix (aside from the usual recommendations) Oz and House of Cards.

Tom Valentine 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

If you don't mind subtitles (or your French is up to it) try Spirals. Loads of action, slapping people around and the sexiest woman on TV.
 seankenny 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yes to Spiral, it's grown-up telly.
OP The Lemming 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

There are some interesting suggestions here.

Thanks everybody
 Duncan Bourne 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
You could always return to the classics "Twin Peaks"
 TobyA 02 Oct 2013
In reply to cfer: I liked it a lot for the first few season and have a bit of a man-crush on Jax/Charlie Hunnam (it's the white sneaker/baggy jeans combo that he carries off so well that i think I'm jealous of), but I finished watching season five recently and have been getting a bit bored. It started off rather close to it's Shakespearean inspiration (Hamlet), but has got more convoluted and silly as it has gone on. Still worth a watch though.

I know its not the thing to say currently but I think I actually enjoyed Justified more than Breaking Bad (it's maybe that I have man-crush on Deputy Marshall Givens/Tim Oliphant also) . Both have a sense of place so perhaps I'm just more interested in Appalachia than in the desert south west.

Has anyone else watched Hell on Wheels? Definitely a cut price Deadwood, but then Deadwood was so good (that Mr Oliphant again), but still some enjoyable cowboys and indians ultra-violence and I have actually read some wikipedia articles on the US civil war and the movement west as a result.

TobyA 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: Oh yeah, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are both jolly good. Orange... is sort of a nicer more feminist version of Oz.
OP The Lemming 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
> You could always return to the classics "Twin Peaks"

strangely enough, I have never seen a single episode.

I was more a Moonlighting viewer.

Ramblin dave 02 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Slight curveball, but check out the various Jonathan Meades things on Youtube. His presenting style isn't to everyone's taste, and you have to listen to him critically and decide whether or not you agree rather than just accepting everything he says, but for the subjects that he covers and the way he approaches them he's one of the most thought provoking documentarists on the telly. "Magnetic North", which talks about the culture, history, art, food and architecture of Northern Europe is a good place to start.
Tim Chappell 03 Oct 2013
>
I will however pick anyone up on their assertion that everyone should be out ski-ing or climbing or whatever, and also on any feeble attempts to win arguments by calling into doubt the climbing frequency of another poster.

Bizarre over-reaction on your part to a mild joke on my part, the literal cash-value of which was "I'm really looking forward to the winter, and not because of the TV".

There's really no need to be so hostile. I mean you no harm. I wasn't even talking to you; I was addressing The Lemming. If he has a problem with what I said, he hasn't told me so.

These forums would be a much nicer place if people would calm down a bit. Don't you think?
 Offwidth 03 Oct 2013

It takes two to build a conflict and you seem to be encouraging it. For an academic you are displaying a rather weirdly naive expectation of behaviour on a public web forums (even one as fluffy as UKC), which with your profile comments makes me smell a rat.
OP The Lemming 03 Oct 2013
> I wasn't even talking to you; I was addressing The Lemming. If he has a problem with what I said, he hasn't told me so.

I don't have a problem with your comments and felt no need to respond.

In fact I have the ability, from time to time, to recognise banter and humour rather than a perceived slight.

We just have to accept that this site is inhabited by a wide spectrum of people ranging from those with common sense to the other extreme.

All we can do, is work out where we fit within that spectrum and rub along as best we can with those that don't share our own views.
 Offwidth 03 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

"In fact I have the ability, from time to time, to recognise banter and humour rather than a perceived slight." do you give lessons?

ripper 03 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Anyway back to the thread...
Red Riding was very good (if you like darkness that is)
Blue Blood sounds interesting though I've not seen it - likewise Eastbound & Down.
I'd love to see Nightingales again so I should probably invest in the boxed set as I doubt it will ever get a TV re-run, far too confusing for the general public!
 Banned User 77 03 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Madmen.. just superb..

Basically alcholic womaniser.. mega successful, nice guy, just sort tortured in a destructive way.
 Blue Straggler 03 Oct 2013

How does your "joke" here (heavily veiled, as they so often are, under a cloak of condescending judgement) have a "literal cash-value"?

In reply to ripper:
>
> I'd love to see Nightingales again so I should probably invest in the boxed set as I doubt it will ever get a TV re-run, far too confusing for the general public!

The Robert Lindsay / James Ellis nightw*tchmen thing with the "nobody here but us chickens" catchphrase? My top tip- enjoy your memories of it. It doesn't bear a second viewing, trust me on this.

Kelcat 03 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
We couldn't get on with Boardwalk Empire - people have said you've got to stick out the first series - but, well life's too short.
Ray Donovan is shaping up quite nicely at the moment, not been mentioned yet.
 ripper 03 Oct 2013
> (In reply to ripper)
> [...]
>
> The Robert Lindsay / James Ellis nightw*tchmen thing with the "nobody here but us chickens" catchphrase? My top tip- enjoy your memories of it. It doesn't bear a second viewing, trust me on this.

That's the one - I've always suspected that what you say might be the case, but to be honest you've only made me more interested...
In reply to Offwidth:
>
> "In fact I have the ability, from time to time, to recognise banter and humour rather than a perceived slight." do you give lessons?

Yes.

Ignore everything I say on this site.
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to The Lemming) Madmen.. just superb..

I have tried to hunt this out in the past, but not much success. I will try again today.

In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
> I have tried to hunt this out in the past, but not much success. I will try again today.

I think it is very easily available to buy.
 Kimono 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Kelcat:
> We couldn't get on with Boardwalk Empire - people have said you've got to stick out the first series - but, well life's too short.

First 2 seasons I'm afraid to say....gets going in the third, thankfully!

Homeland for sure....lookin forward to S3 on Sunday
Orange is the new black is very watchable (if entirely unrealistic)

BB if you can stand a bit of violence and darkness...lives up to the hype

Dexter likewise....though 2 seasons too long imo

The walking dead started so well and just got worse from then on

True Blood started badly and just got sillier

The Shield...a masterpiece.
Similarly, The Sops, Wire, 6 feet under

GoT is if course fantastic though felt the last season was a bit slow and, considering that the books start to spiral downwards from AFFC onwards, the prognosis is not good.

Just about to start on house of cards which looks like a winner.

hokkyokusei 03 Oct 2013
In reply to cfer:

> Game of Thrones(refused to watch it until I had read the books)

Same here. The series is good, but not as good as the books.
 Tony the Blade 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Kimono:
> (In reply to Kelcat)
> [...]
>
> First 2 seasons I'm afraid to say....gets going in the third, thankfully!
I quite liked all seasons, although a tad unbelievable towards the end.

> Homeland for sure....lookin forward to S3 on Sunday
Hell yeah - Previously on Homeland...

> Orange is the new black is very watchable (if entirely unrealistic)
NSFW nor indeed the train - tits everywhere!
>
> BB if you can stand a bit of violence and darkness...lives up to the hype
Agreed, my 2nd favourite ever telly series
>
> Dexter likewise....though 2 seasons too long imo
Not seen - just looks silly
>
> The walking dead started so well and just got worse from then on
Ditto
>
> True Blood started badly and just got sillier
Again
>
> The Shield...a masterpiece.
Just watching S1 now - loving it so far.

> Similarly, The Sops, Wire, 6 feet under
The Wire - my all time fave. Sops, strong start just got better. 6FU, great telly, but got bored with it eventually.
>
> Just about to start on house of cards which looks like a winner.
Just seen that - Spacey is brilliant, as is the programme.

Kimono 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:
we have pretty similar taste it seems

but i must just say that OISTNB only had the tits in the pilot....none to be seen after that, sadly

dexter may look silly but is in fact very good, if a 'little' on the gory side

and 6FU i thought was fantastic all the way through, and the ending just blew me away. I was quite literally speechless afterwards
 TobyA 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Kimono:

> Orange is the new black is very watchable (if entirely unrealistic)

Why unrealistic? I've heard the author of the memoir it is based on interviewed a number of times, basically everything that happens to Chapman (with the exception of the last scene of the last episode I guess) she saw when she was banged up.

Lemming - Top of the Lake is quite good in a moody way if you haven't seen it.
 Kimono 03 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:
based on a true story it may be, but, believe me, there is no prison on earth that is like this. It seems like a holiday camp.
 Fat Bumbly2 03 Oct 2013
Battlestar Galactica - reboot. Well worth your time and surplanted B5 as fave sci-fi. Some interesting takes on the War on Tourism.

Have worked my way through Boardwalk Empire I and II and really enjoyed it.

See that there is a fourth Heimat on the way - cannot wait!
Tim Chappell 03 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
> [...]
>
> I don't have a problem with your comments and felt no need to respond.
>
> In fact I have the ability, from time to time, to recognise banter and humour rather than a perceived slight.
>

Thank you, Lemming. I would say I think that closes the issue... except that as far as I'm concerned, and you too apparently, there never was an issue.

Some people on UKC could really do with lightening up and being a bit less automatically combative sometimes.

But on the original point--I really really am looking forward to winter... and not because of the TV...
In reply to Kimono:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
> we have pretty similar taste it seems
>
> but i must just say that OISTNB only had the tits in the pilot....none to be seen after that, sadly
>

What is OISTNB please?

> dexter may look silly but is in fact very good, if a 'little' on the gory side
>

Personally, I have found Dexter to be one of the best shows that I have seen. It may look all squeeky clean and chocolate box perfect but I find it dark and sinister to the point that I can't sleep for a couple of hours after each episode. I really like this show.

Kelcat 03 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Forgot to say; if you're a sci-fi fan the Falling Skies is fantastic.
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Kimono)
> [...]
>
> What is OISTNB please?

I'll guess that it is "Orange Is The New Black" (so should be OITNB) but I can't be sure.
 seankenny 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Kimono:
>
> Just about to start on house of cards which looks like a winner.

It's absolutely excellent. And of course a remake of a BBC drama, back when the BBC could make adult drama...
 Kimono 04 Oct 2013
> [...]
>
> I'll guess that it is "Orange Is The New Black" (so should be OITNB) but I can't be sure.

Indeed.
I referred to it in full in my previous post so assumed i could get away with a (slightly wrong!) acronym.

also on black lines is Orphan Black, now showing on iplayer...not bad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...