UKC

Black Diamond Ultra Mountain FL poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 01 Oct 2013
Does anyone own a pair of these?

I recently purchased a pair and I'm struggling with the locking mechanism on them. No matter what I try the segments of the poles easily come apart when placed in say wet mud.

Basically, the lock doesn't lock. Has any one else experienced similar problems?

AT
 Mike Nolan 01 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Are these the green ones?

After you've put the 3 pieces together, like tent poles, you need to slide the pole out until the little metal bit pops out, this stops the 3 segments coming apart. Then you can adjust the length using the Flicklock. Does that help?
OP AdCo82 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike Nolan:

They are indeed the green ones. I've looked at doing that. Where exactly should the pins pop out?
 Mike Nolan 02 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Pull the the section of pole which says Black Diamond on it away from the handle, it should slide. Ensure the 3 tent pole like sections are in properly or it won't pull out enough. Keep sliding as far as you can it probably opens up about 30 cm at a guess (my poles aren't next to me!). Then a little metal bit pops out, like in an I'm umbrella. This stops the 3 pieces coming apart (I guess it pulls the green plastic but holding the parts together tight.
 Mike Nolan 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike Nolan: Email me if you're having problems still and I'll send you a picture of my poles.

OP AdCo82 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Thanks for the advice. Not got my poles to hand either but I will check tomorrow night.

I'll be in touch if still struggling.

Cheers pal.

AT
 Mike Nolan 02 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Sweet, good luck! Took me a while to figure it out!
OP AdCo82 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Haha, glad it isn't only me. Have you used the poles much?
 Mike Nolan 02 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Used them in the Alps and then in the UK on my ML assessment this year. I'm a complete convert and feel a bit lost without them. I've never liked poles before, but once I got used to them, found it easier on awkward terrain and found they really help with balance specifically on steep or awkward ground. They also make everything feel noticeably easier, especially steep ascents and descents.

These poles are light, but seem to be lasting well so far. The flick lock is a brilliant system, much better than twisting and the handles are comfy. I also like how the continue some padding down the pole below the handle, this makes it easier to adjust the length on steep ground, without needing to adjust the Flicklock.

They can get in the way a bit when trying to navigate, but that's not specific to these poles, although you get used to it eventually.
In reply to An Triubhas: I have a pair and think they are very good but I'm going to take mine back to where I bought them as the top section has become increasingly stiff to pull down even after a good spray of GT85.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...