UKC

Driving to N Wales - the Mottram problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 04 Oct 2013

If I'm driving from Sheffield over the Snake through Gl**sop and Mot*ram on Saturday morning, any idea what time I'd have to set off from Sheffield to avoid getting stuck in that evil hellhole? Or should I just allow 5 1/2h journey time?
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Is it particularly bad on Saturday mornings? I just go round it if I think there's likely to be bad traffic up that hill. Either through a sneaky shortcut round Glossop, or by avoiding the issue and going Winnats, Chapel-en-le-Frith, some shennanigans to get onto the A555, M56.
 jamiev 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

It's been fine 3x this year on Saturday mornings leaving Sheffield before 9am.

Left Sheff at 10am one time and considerably slower.
OP Jon Stewart 04 Oct 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
>
> Is it particularly bad on Saturday mornings?

Yes, think so. Well it's horrendous within 2h of working hours every day isn't it?

I just go round it if I think there's likely to be bad traffic up that hill. Either through a sneaky shortcut round Glossop, or by avoiding the issue and going Winnats, Chapel-en-le-Frith, some shennanigans to get onto the A555, M56.

That Chapel route is boll*cks too IME. Hours of 30-zone/lights/traffic. Might look at the sneaking around Glossop way.
In reply to jamiev: OK, I'll definitely be earlier than that, want to get a full-ish day at Gogarth.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> That Chapel route is boll*cks too IME. Hours of 30-zone/lights/traffic. Might look at the sneaking around Glossop way.

Only if you get it wrong. There is a sensible route (that steers well clear of the A6 through Stockport, which is godawful), but I can't remember how it gets from the M56-A555 or A555-Chapel. It's rather complicated.
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
>
> [...]
>
> Only if you get it wrong. There is a sensible route (that steers well clear of the A6 through Stockport, which is godawful), but I can't remember how it gets from the M56-A555 or A555-Chapel. It's rather complicated.

Well thanks anyway. I will rest easier knowing that there is, somehow, a way of getting through without excessive pain and misery.
 Bulls Crack 04 Oct 2013

Glossop - Broadbottom - Mottram Old road - Bredbury?
 deepsoup 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> Well it's horrendous within 2h of working hours every day isn't it?

That it is, but really not too bad over the weekend (especially early in the morning).

More frustrating at weekends probably are the hordes of tweedy hat wearers on the Snake road itself, doing 28mph through all the twisty bits and then flooring it for all the straights.
 JdotP 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

This is just another reason why I am extremely glad to have recently moved from Hull to Manchester
In reply to Jon Stewart: Jon, checkout the route which goes out over Winnats Pass, Chapel, near to Windgather, then Pott Shrigley and Wilmslow, joining the M56 near Manchester Airport. It's the one the drivers seem to take to do airport drops from Sheffield.
There is also a little rat run which goes from the far end of Gloss*p and comes out at the roundabout at the beginning of the M67 which is handy on the normal route.
If however you drive an Audi or a Beemer, you can plough up the outside lane towards Mottram, then barge your way into the left lane at the lights because it's your right. Apparently.
 abr1966 04 Oct 2013
In reply to paul_in_cumbria: or winnats....chapel....macclesfield and on yowsrds chester yhen a55? Took me about 2'45 mins last weekend from near windgather to llandudno..
 Banned User 77 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: saturday isnt too bad, but cut south peak.. hit manchester airport.. its how taxis take me for 10 am flights...
 Banned User 77 04 Oct 2013
In reply to paul_in_cumbria: yeah as you say..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...