UKC

Scotland to Ecrins ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 k.shark 04 Oct 2013
Looking to go to Ecrin area instead of Norway this year. There must be Scot's that have travelled here ,I want to fly any suggestion's and rough cost .What about accommodation I have been to Ailefroide a couple of times in summer but not winter .
In reply to k.shark:

for some where to stay have a look at alpbase.com

cheers
 Dave Williams 04 Oct 2013
In reply to k.shark:

Fly Easyjet to Lyon, or better, to Grenoble. Hire a car (with snow tyres or chains in case the Col du Lautaret is bad) and book a gite in or near Briancon/ L'Argentière-la-Bessée/ Vallouise via Gîtes de France. Costs are all on the websites. Alpbase is an alternative. You'll be familiar with the area already but you can only ski or snowshoe to Ailefroide in the winter as the road is only cleared as far as Pelvoux.

Dave
 GridNorth 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Dave Williams: I've been many times and flown to both Grenoble and Turin. IMO Turin is a lot quicker especially since they improved the roads for the winter Olympics.
 Andes 06 Oct 2013
In reply to k.shark:
I've been, long time ago mind. We flew to Lyon and hired a car, slept in the car most nights (brrrr.) and on a friends floor one or two nights. Going out to Cogne this year.
John
OP k.shark 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Andes: Hi there John never been to Cogne where is best to fly too . Will check it out looking for somewhere other than Rujkan again a bit of variety is good .
 gear boy 07 Oct 2013
In reply to k.shark: Ecrin or Cogne fly to Turin, Snow chains are law in mountains so you have to have them, even if you have snow tyres, used chains every year I have been, some venues you will want chains to access possibly, depending on snow cover

Alternatives are Grenoble for Ecrins, or Geneva for Cogne, you can always stop off in Cham if weathers good there

RomTheBear 07 Oct 2013
In reply to k.shark: In reply to k.shark: There are direct easyjet flights from Edinburgh to Lyon, price varying between £100 and 300£. From there you can hire a car and drive to grenoble. dirt cheap accommodation surely can be found on the outskirts of Grenoble if you don't mind staying in an urban/chavy environment
 augustus trout 07 Oct 2013
In reply to k.shark: edelweiss hotel in la grave is quite reasonable the rooms sleep 4 with a split level and has a ski room for drying kit.
 Simon4 07 Oct 2013
In reply to gear boy:
> Snow chains

Quite often you are better buying a pair of chains in a supermarket, or in Bourg d'Oissans than paying for the rental from a hire company.

Make sure you practice putting your chains on a few times in clean, dry, well-light conditions before you have to do it in anger in a blizzard in darkness, also a good idea to have a mat to kneel on and some thin gloves that you don't mind getting soaked.
 gear boy 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Simon4: agree, I have 3 or 4 sets of 20euro supermarket specials!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...