UKC

Woodwell bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AMorris 04 Oct 2013
Im thinking of taking a trip to Woodwell for a few days, staying at nearby campsite. Does anyone have any experience of woodwell and whether its decent, it looks to be largely massively steep, crimpy limestone which suits me, but is there a variety of styles? Finally how much of it is now banned for climbing?

Cheers guys

-A-
 robin mueller 04 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris:

When are you thinking of going? It can seep a lot during wet weather. It's mostly steep, but there are some vertical walls. The ban on the o'ert road area has been lifted, just follow the rules on the sign.

Trowbarrow is nearby as well, which has a fast drying boulder and a slightly overhanging wall that stays dry in the rain.

North Wales might also be worth looking at - Parisella's and nearby areas are good if you want steep limestone. Conditions at Parisella's might be more reliable.
 JayK 04 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris:

Have you looked at the online guidebook on Lakesbloc?

It's got loads of limestone roofs. And there is a lot of nails hard boulders. In fact - I remember finding a f6A boulder virtually impossible. Enjoy - PS Check the conditions first, the place seeps. UKB is it greasy? thread.
OP AMorris 04 Oct 2013
In reply to robin mueller: I have a feeling it would be too wet and uncomfortably cold for the next 3 or 4 months so my idea is next spring when its a bit warmer and drier. I have considered Parisella's too but for some reason I feel the calling of the north again and the lakes is somewhere I haven't climbed before.

I would definitely take a trip to trowbarrow whilst there aswell.

How would you rate Parisella's against that area of the lakes?

-A-
OP AMorris 04 Oct 2013
In reply to JimmyKay: Yeah the guide and its reputation is what attracted me to it.

-A-
 petegunn 04 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris: Woodwell does tend to seep a bit so make sure to check out the surounding area, Trowbarrow, Farleton, Hutton Roof all near by. Thorn Crag is worth a visit for some grit action. Most of Woodwell is short and powerful with good roof and wall problems with a couple of hard traverses, try Anestheia!
 Calder 04 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris: Plenty of stuff at Fairy Steps, Farleton, and maybe even some of the other crags in the area to keep you busy if you get bored of roofs!
OP AMorris 04 Oct 2013
In reply to petegunn: Iv seen Stick-it and Iv never seen a problem that looks so appallingly desperate! I have watched that whole Gaskins sequence so many times (mostly because its one of the precious few videos of the man climbing).

The consensus seems to be to keep an eye on weather.
How is the grading there? From what I understand its pretty stiff but how does it compare to other areas, if that not too open a question.

-A-
 robin mueller 04 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris:

Will you have a car? If so, you could definitely have a lot of fun sampling various nearby crags.

If it was just a straight choice between Parisella's and Woodwell, I'd take Parisella's. Woodwell roofs are pretty small. There are probably a lot more hard moves on Woodwell problems though. Depends what you are looking for.

Grades at Woodwell are fine.
 joe.91 04 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris: weather look good over the next week, should be dry by back end of next week. Very steep roofs, some of the best climbing in the area IMO.

But the other crags are worth a visit too, especially trowbarrow as its 3 minutes down the road.
OP AMorris 05 Oct 2013
In reply to robin mueller: I may have a car, If I go with my brother (which is the plan) then yes, if not no as I dont drive. Parisella's seems like somewhere I will definitely go at some point, from what I can see there are a fair few crags near Parisella's too if i want to change it up, are these any good?

-A-
 robin mueller 05 Oct 2013
In reply to AMorris:
> from what I can see there are a fair few crags near Parisella's too if i want to change it up, are these any good?
>
> -A-

Haven't tried most of them - lots have been developed in recent years. Parisella's and Pill Box Wall would keep you busy for a couple of days. Corner a local or search northwalesbouldering for details on the others. Sea View walls looks good: http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=367

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...