Starting Out forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - fear of falling while bouldering

Dandelion - on 05 Oct 2013
I'm not too scared of falling when I'm roped up, including leading, but I'm so badly scared of it while bouldering that I just can't get into it at all. I feel scared of any move that involves momentum, and going higher than about two-thirds of the way up unless it's a VB ladder. I am utterly physically inept in general and just know I will fall like a hippo, crushing my ankles. I don't really have much faith in the idea of spotting, or any understanding of it - would it help? I am horribly weak at bouldering but I could work at that, readily, if I could just get more than a couple of moves up. I find it frustrating that I can look at the moves, know I could make them even somewhere quite exposed if roped up, but having sprained an ankle badly years ago, I just feel massive, disproportionate resistance to the risk. I do want to do it because I'm sure it would be really beneficial. Any ideas on how to address it? I manage fear pretty well otherwise but not with this for some reason - and it feels a pathetic thing to worry about.
... not showing 5 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums