UKC

Mountains in Siberia (possibly), help with identification?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 06 Oct 2013
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/arpR7KB_700b.jpg

Saw this photo online and thought that the mountains look ace. Any hints as to where/what they are? An hour online having proved fruitless I thought I would crowdsource via UKC. The caption on the photo was 'taken from a plane flying over Siberia'

Help appreciated.

R

TobyA 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Roberttaylor: It looks too flat between the mountains to be 'normal' ground. So either nunataks rising through an ice sheet (Greenland, Antarctica) or frozen fjords between island peaks?

I guess the glacier bottom left is running downhill out of the photo so the first seems more likely.

Anyway, completely un-grounded in expertise or real knowledge of Siberia sweeping statement no.1: I don't think that picture is from Siberia.
 Mark Bull 06 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

It's the Kangerdlussuaq region of East Greenland, looking roughly east to west across here: https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=68.233767,-33.250122&spn=0.693598,3.34808...
 TobyA 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Bull: I love to be right, but how do you actually know?
 Mark Bull 06 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:
I guessed it was East Greenland and most likely in the south as it's on regular commercial flight paths. Went looking for the features on Google satellite imagery and got lucky in about 5 minutes!
 robin mueller 06 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

He's right, the features do match up. Look at the horseshoe in the middle of your photo, which is the horsehoe in the middle of the googlemap - once you've seen that, the others become more obvious. Well spotted Mark!
 pneame 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:
What an incredible view. And good google navigation!
OP Roberttaylor 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Roberttaylor: Thanks all. By a bizarre coincidence I was in a ship off the coast of greenland last week (53 nautical miles off) and saw what looked like some fantastic mountains.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...