/ Slightly moldy rope....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Steve Clark - on 06 Oct 2013
Like an idiot, I left a bag with a 50m length of semi-static (SRT type) rope behind my garage for a month. It's got, wet and is still a bit damp and a bit black moldy. I just use it for rigging top ropes and stuff like that.

Recommendations for cleaning it? Is low concentration disinfectant a really bad idea?

Steve

yesbutnobutyesbut - on 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve Clark: Personally I'd bin it. Maybe over cautious but is it really worth about 70 to have that doubt every time you now use it?
Steve Clark - on 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve Clark:

Seriously? I'm not a caver, but it's a caving rope and I figured this would happen a lot in normal use.
Andy Manthorpe on 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve Clark: Don't use disinfectant or bleach.

Wash it with a little non bio detergent in the washing machine at 30 or 40 degrees. I usually daisy chain a rope first.

Hang it to air dry.
Jonny2vests - on 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve Clark:

Soap flakes from wilkos and a gentle machine wash. A beal rope brush is a good investment too. Don't bin it.
deepsoup - on 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
I'd probably wash it in the machine with soap flakes too.
(And wouldn't entirely rule out binning it, depending on how it comes out.)

Soap flakes don't dissolve particularly well in cool water, so I generally stir them into about 1/2 pint of boiling water until they're completely dissolved then chuck the solution directly into the drum before loading the machine.
Jonny2vests - on 07 Oct 2013
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests)

> (And wouldn't entirely rule out binning it, depending on how it comes out.)

Fair comment.
jimjimjim on 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve Clark: I do quite a bit of caving and I wouldn't be in the slightest bit concerned about it. Ropes are often left in situ underground for years in very wet/damp conditions. na bother youth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.