UKC

Chronic Big Toe Pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Crag Pony 06 Oct 2013
Ow do. Have had right bad pain in the big toe joint of the ball of the foot for the last few days. It has been so bad its altered my gait and I've strained the muscles on the outside rear of the lower leg so much that this is now as bad. Have spent the last 2 stuck on the sofa with foot raised and giving it some ice and heat. Been munching codiene and ibuprofren like smarties but no let up.
The joint pain has been coming and going for about 4 weeks but always easing off after a few minutes walking untill wednesday/thursday. Since then its been 24hr nonstop.
I realise its a trip to the Docs put if you ve got any advice for the interim it'll be very greatly appreciated.
Ta muchly gang.
Crag Pony 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Crag Pony: Forgot to mention there's been no history of injury or any previous condition. Nowt different what so ever.
 deepstar 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Crag Pony: It sounds like it could Gout,bloody agony.
In reply to Crag Pony:Go to your local A&E, try going lat evening, say 11pm/midnightish to avoid a long wait, or better still, go 6am. Is it hot, red and swollen?
 JayPee630 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Crag Pony:

Gout, arthritis, injury, could be all sorts of things. See a doctor, until then who knows!
Crag Pony 06 Oct 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: looks normal, nowt different. Cheers for input guys. Ruddy painful
Removed User 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Crag Pony: collapsed arch...
 dr_botnik 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Crag Pony: I don't wanna be a pedant, but did you bang your toe? Same thing happened to me after a big lead fall, took a couple of weeks to subside, wear loose shoes, dont aggravate, etc.
 JJL 06 Oct 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to Crag Pony)Go to your local A&E, try going lat evening, say 11pm/midnightish to avoid a long wait, or better still, go 6am. Is it hot, red and swollen?

FFS. Please don't go to A&E - it's not a f*cking emergency.

Book a GP appointment. A&E is for life- or limb-threatening problems, not a sore toe
Crag Pony 06 Oct 2013
In reply to JJL: Aye I won't be, got enough common. Get paid for time off at docs luckily.
 Andy Say 06 Oct 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
You know of QUIET A&E departments at chucking out time? Blimey!
andyathome 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Crag Pony:

Impossible to answer.

How old are you? Any previous? What activities do you normally get up to? Any possible damage prior to pain?

You seem to be doing the right things.

If that's too vague then you've definitely got arthitis in the joint and obviously need a fusion.
In reply to Crag Pony: Another possibility could be morton's neuroma. Very painful in the joint at the ball of the foot. I know!
 Al Evans 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Crag Pony: Sounds like gout to me, very painful but easily cured and easily preventable.
 dsh 07 Oct 2013
In reply to JJL:

Minor injuries unit is what you want.
 dr_botnik 07 Oct 2013
In reply to dsh: UKC is hilarious. Hospital for a banged toe WTF.
 colina 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Crag Pony:
im no expert for sure and diagnose your smptoms but in my unprofessional opinion you have got all the classic symptoms of a sore toe...the best advice I can give you is to put your feet up.....here to help
 Ridge 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Crag Pony:
If the joint was reddened I'd have gone with gout. Try eating a big bowl of cherries. If that cures it it's gout.
In reply to dr_botnik: Okay, I'll let you into a secret..... I'm a hospital doctor who assesses patients in A&E every day. I wasn't seriously suggesting that he should go to A&E. I was being flippant and clearly it didn't come across that way to some.........lost in typing....or perhaps lost elsewhere....it's a bit like the UKC regular Q:"when will winter conditions be here?" A:"11.54 am on 14th November at an altitude of 963.234m" thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...