UKC

Winter sack- total bargain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wee Davie 06 Oct 2013
http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/walkers-drybag-rucksack.html

I contacted Lomo over a year ago and mentioned to them in an email that their bargain drybag rucksacks could be adapted to Winter climbing by adding some axe attachments etc.

I didn't expect anything to result from that email, but they went ahead and put this design into production!

£26.99 is an absolute bargain.

Mr Fuller 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: Brilliant. I saw their rucksacks a while back and thought they'd be great with ice axe loops. Good idea and well done Lomo. These should be standard issue for people on a budget - there is doubtfully anything better at less than £80.
 thin bob 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:
competition for alpkit! looks good. In fact, the whole range of stuff looks excellent value, nice kitbags..anyone used them?
 Alan M 06 Oct 2013
In reply to thin bob:
> (In reply to Wee Davie)
> competition for alpkit! looks good. In fact, the whole range of stuff looks excellent value, nice kitbags..anyone used them?

I have a number of items from Lomo for canoeing and Kayaking, very good basic kit for the price.

The most recent piece of it I purchased is the 60L waterproof dry bag (yellow) well made, good price, the only down side is that its hard to keep clean the material used stains easily. Other than that no complaints and would recommend them to everyone.

oliverk 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

They look great, if I hadn't spent too much already this month I'd try one out straight away
 angry pirate 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:
Well done fella! I've been a fan of the alpkit gourdon for a while and thought about approaching them to make a winter pack.
I've got a few lomo drybags and really rate them. Properly bombproof but rather heavy. The winter pack looks decent and seems ridiculously good value. I really fancy the kit bag and the messenger bag for work but am currently waiting for their existing counterparts to wear out.
OP Wee Davie 06 Oct 2013
In reply:

I've had a number of their drybags over the years. The PVC 40l one I had was cheap as chips and bombproof. I've no reason to doubt this will be pf the same build quality.

I ended up buying an Aiguille bag that is a cracker but cost £90 ish. I've no regrets over getting the Aiguille but if this had been available at the time I'd have gone for the Lomo one for sure.

Check this out for a price disparity! And it's not even in production yet!!!
http://www.crux.uk.com/en/rucksacks.php?range=2&product=7
 Timmd 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: Difficult to lose in that orange colour too.
 angry pirate 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Timmd:
Is it bad that the colour is my favourite bit?
jolivague 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: Can't believe i've never seen one of those before, ordered!
 JayPee630 06 Oct 2013
In reply to jolivague:

Likewise, gonna order a 60l duffel, looks great!
 Ron Walker 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:
> http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/walkers-drybag-rucksack.html
>
> I contacted Lomo over a year ago and mentioned to them in an email that their bargain drybag rucksacks could be adapted to Winter climbing by adding some axe attachments etc.
>
> I didn't expect anything to result from that email, but they went ahead and put this design into production!
>
> £26.99 is an absolute bargain.

Nice one Davie...
 Timmd 07 Oct 2013
In reply to angry pirate:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> Is it bad that the colour is my favourite bit?

()

Most of the time I don't suppose you misplace a rucksack, but if one bounces off it's always handy if it's a bright colour.

Good for moments of tiredness in the dark I guess.
 martinph78 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: I recommended it elsewhere on the forum as a cheap but tough daysack. I got ignored...

For anyone interested here, I have their smaller lightweight dry bags (the set of three red ones). They are OK, but leak air so no good for compressing clothing in. Fine for separating kit in your pack though (such as first aid kit, torch, etc).
 zoonalink 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

> For anyone interested here, I have their smaller lightweight dry bags (the set of three red ones). They are OK, but leak air so no good for compressing clothing in. Fine for separating kit in your pack though (such as first aid kit, torch, etc).

Thanks for this info - exactly what I was trying to find out! You wouldn't know how they compare to the Alpkit Airloks or similar, would you?
 Robert Durran 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

Sounds good.
If they were to do a 60l version, I might well get one.
 martinph78 09 Oct 2013
In reply to zoonalink: I don't know about the airlocks, but I have just received an alpkit gourdon and the gourdon is much thicker material, and is "airtight".

The Lomo ones are light though and I'd recommend them as pack organisers/dividers, just not as stuff sacks or floatation aids! They would be fine inside a decent weatherproof rucksack. My first aid pouch is in one (as an extra level of protection) as well as spare batteries, spare head torch etc.

If you want one to use on it's own, or strapped to the outside of something, I'd say that they were no good.

Hope that helps.

Timmd 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Is the fabric the same thickness on the 40l rucksack as their smaller products?
 martinph78 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Timmd: No, these are much lighter:

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/3pack-ultralight-dry-bags.html

These are is MUCH heavier duty and suitable for hauling gear around, kayaking, etc

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/dry-sacks-100L-info_359.html

I think that's what the walking pack is made from as well?
OP Wee Davie 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Timmd:

The 40 litre bag is a tough PVC material. The ones that Martin1978 is describing are their small, very lightweight drybags. I've got some of them and they're a different kettle of fish entirely.
Paul F 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

On a similar theme Exped Torrent Rucksacks half price here

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12941176
 Cuthbert 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

I just bought one and it's great value. Arrived in 24hrs too. Brilliant.
OP Wee Davie 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

I had a wetsuit of theirs while living abroad. I sold it for a profit after 3 years use!

Their stuff is great value.
 Cuthbert 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

Incredible value. I got the sack you advised but found it a bit too big for me - I already have a sack for the hill but it's tired.

So I sent it back and got their 30L drybag one £25 which is even better I think!

Great to support a Scottish company producing such bargains.
 Mr Fuller 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: Absolutely, all their stuff is at crazy prices. They do imitation pelicases for 1/10th the price; their knife looks perfect for climbing, and a lot cheaper than a Petzl one; drybags don't get any cheaper; their compression calf supports are similarly cheap. Hope they're doing well.
 Bluebird 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: thanks for making me aware - I was looking at kit bags recently for my group work..look robust and I like the wide opening just bought 3 60l dry bags and 1 30l for metal work. tidy
 Erik B 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: well done mate for getting them to adapt their design. Its just a shame they missed out side compression straps, i cant remember the last time i actuually put axes in the purpose made loops on a rucksack. I just stuff them into the compression straps. compression straps are useful for things like sleeping mats and skis as well. and of course for making the pack size smaller when its empty.

Simple addition but very very useful. maybe ye can let them know that suggestion!
In reply to Erik B: Agree. I'd have bought one right away but for the lack of compression straps. Also a small zipped compartment would be very welcome. But then I guess it'd be beginning to look like any other bag...
 Solaris 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

Seriously good-value and well-made piece of kit by the look of it. In the spirit of other constructive comments on this thread, a zip pocket would be a useful (if expensive) addition, as would bungee attachments for crampons.
 Dave 88 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

Anyone know how much one of these weighs?
 Milesy 17 Oct 2013
The lomo one looks cool. Compression straps and somewhere for a bottle of water, either a pocket or even a loop I could clip one to would be perfect.
 Lamb 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: Agreed, that looks like a topper.

Along with adding side straps, a wee strap across the top of the bag would be ideal for putting a rope over. As I struggle normally to get rack, rope and gear all inside a 40l bag for winter.

Would be absolutely spot on if these could be added.

Does anyone know the weight of the bag roughly? The PVC I've seen on other Lomo bags is bombproof but quite heavy.
 Bluebird 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: you should ping them an email with these comments.. I wrote to them this morning about enhancements on their kit bags - the 60l one would be fantastic if it had internal gear loops for metal work and velcro straps for ropes) - they replied and said it might be something they consider next time around as per the OP.
market intel like the comments above is priceless to companies - especially those that really want to satisfy market need..also this is a British company so it would be good to give them a boost

I mentioned this site to them, so hopefully they're keeping an eye
I have no affiliation.
 TobyA 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: Nice one! Tell us how it goes out on the hill and thanks for the link - I hadn't heard of them before but nice to see that Alpkit has some competition for reasonably priced dry bags and the like. Think I'll get some of the lightweight ones when they're back in stock. My kids keep nicking the ones I had for scout camps now and they're were rubbish cheapy ones to start off with, so its interesting to see if the Lomo ones are better quality.
OP Wee Davie 18 Oct 2013
In reply:

I think it's great that you can approach a company with suggestions and they put your ideas into practice.

It sounds like some of you have already contacted them with the compression straps ideas etc. I'm in no position to speak for Lomo but wouldn't be surprised if they incorporated these ideas in the future.

Any kit I've had from them has been of good quality- so I can recommend their stuff wholeheartedly. They've got a shop in the Finnieston area of Glasgow if you happen to be passing. It's like an Alladin's cave of bargains!
 Bluebird 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: x3 60l's and x1 30l delivered today - stunned with the quality for the money. Very impressed and perfect for carting group climbing kit about. hurrah!
 Exile 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

May have missed this but does anybody know the weight of the winter sac is?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...