UKC

Weight vest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Bell 07 Oct 2013
Toying with the idea of getting one as something a bit different to try when leading with. Anyone have any comments / experiences to share?

AJM 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Ian Bell:

Why not just try harder routes? I've never seen the point in hypergravity work (except maybe weighted deadhangs and the like) when you could pull harder by doing harder moves instead.
 Ian Broome 07 Oct 2013

If route climbing is generally at a lower maximum effort per move then bouldering then surely bouldering to increase the effort or 4x4's would work better? even try harder routes? what are hoping to improve by adding weight?

Adding weight for dead hanging is meant to work well, with loads of advice on the web.

alooker 07 Oct 2013
In reply to AJM: maybe so the climber can train with larger holds to reduce risk of injury? I expect that this would only apply to the top elite climbers however!
 Keendan 07 Oct 2013
In reply to alooker:

I would guess there is more risk of injuring elbows by using the weight vest.

Also, the climber would have to use the small holds when he tried harder things, so he might as well train them.

Weight vest might be fun for a while if you're careful. Might mess with your balance/movement. Maybe keep it for simple things like endurance circuits?
 dave frost 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Ian Bell: A weight vest will badly screw with your climbing technique mate, leave it off for realy climbing, theyre good for basic but funvtional training like HSPU etc. Carry some extra gear ? at least it is a little more realistic rather than adding weight where it will never be in the real world.

Hope that helps.
Dave
ice.solo 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Ian Bell:

i reckon do it, but with a weight belt, not a vest. a divers belt will do, just be careful if bouldering as dropping off will mean more weight when you land.

i wouldnt substitute harder routes for it, but use it as one of several methods. good for applied strength as any weighted training is. youd only need a few kgs to make a difference.
likewise i would treat it as the only thing you need for better climbing.

id also back it up with weighted pull ups, hangs etc.

quite a common method used by american climbers. have a go and be careful.
In reply to Ian Bell: I've used weight vests for training endurance, think it's really good when there is nothing left to do in the centre i.e. can't increase grade of reps or are just looking for a little bit more intensity (couple of kg makes a big difference). I would rather use vest than belt as belt distributes weight unevenly along the hips and lower back - if your on overhangs it gets quite sore... But i'm talking serious overhangs come to think of it.

Never felt that it screwed with technique at all... maybe if you stuck on 10kg? but if your only adding a couple then I can't imagine it would make a difference...
In reply to Robbie_Phillips: Sorry, that shouldn't say belt distributes unevenly, just that it feels very heavy along the lower back whereas with a vest you can manipulate the weights better rather than having them all concentrated in one area.
OP Ian Bell 08 Oct 2013
Thanks for all the comments everyone, helpful.

I probably hadn't properly thought through what it was going to achieve. Think I'll just try harder stuf when routes / bouldering. I'm at 6c / 7a ish at present so plenty of potential to just try harder.

Weight could be useful for fingerboarding / pull ups etc. In that case as I have a board at home I think I'll use that and combine slings / dumbell weights to create something rather than buying a seperate weight vest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...