/ Good/cheap place to go sport climbing during Christmas holidays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RossPencovich - on 07 Oct 2013
Can anyone suggest a good but cheap(ish) place to go sport climbing during the christmas holidays? I'm based in Glasgow and not yet old enough to rent a car abroad so it couldn't really be miles and miles away from an airport. e all climb round about the 7b-7c area if that helps.

Thanks
In reply to RossPencovich: *We
Dan Arkle - on 07 Oct 2013
Go to El Chorro, cheap flights, cheap train transfer, cheap accomodation within walking distance from the crags.
I've camped at Finca de Campana, the Olive Branch also has a good reputation or you can stay in the squalid refugio for peanuts.

And the climbing is good at those grades too.
In reply to Dan Arkle: How is El Chorro regarding quality of routes? Dont know if its true but I have heard a lot of the bolts are ancient :/
Ciro - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to RossPencovich:
> (In reply to Dan Arkle) How is El Chorro regarding quality of routes? Dont know if its true but I have heard a lot of the bolts are ancient :/

Bolts are fine. Lots of really good lines in the 7s. You can get a train to Alora, do your shopping for the week at the supermarket, and get Gary from the Olive Branch to pick you up for a small fee. If you camp at the OB it's pretty cheap, and you get to use the big communal kitchen. Highly recommended.
Ciro - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciro:

Oh, one thing that's not so fine though is some of the guidebook route lengths - take the long ones with a pinch of salt and an attentive belayer or knot in the end of the rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.