UKC

Bleeding nipples, ouch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Went for a cheeky 13kms earlier and when i got back home, I looked down at my fluorescent Asics tee and noticed that my right nipple was crying blood which when mixed with the sweat looked like a particular scene from Pink Floyd's the Wall (oldies will know what I mean).

The poor buggers are sore as you like right now.

How do you hardened runners stop this from happening?
 mbh 07 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Plasters, or wear the right top. I get it badly with my Nike top, but not with Under Armour, Ron Hill or New Balance ones.

Vaseline isn't enough, for me.

Tape them up. Otherwise they'll just get more and more fragile.
 Banned User 77 07 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: It happens.. I just vase.. but once it happens it happens for the next week or so.. hurts to the core..
 Solaris 07 Oct 2013
Tape for me.
 krikoman 07 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Salt and vinegar should see you alreet!
 thedatastream 08 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I don't get sore tits when I wear one of my merino baselayers but I do with the synthetic ones. Not sure if it is fit (merino ones are tighter) or material related.
 r0b 08 Oct 2013

Micropore tape for training, elastoplasts for racing
 lummox 08 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Vaseline for me
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: right, vaseline tonight for me then.

I 'll pass on the salt suggestion though.
 yorkshireman 08 Oct 2013

I use those little round plasters which are about perfect size. However I've either got more resilient over time, or just been lucky with tops that don't cause problems. I find also that running with a pack helps - it must be that it holds the top tighter to your body and stops the sliding and rubbing,
 thedatastream 08 Oct 2013
Tape + hairy chest = oof!
 mattrm 08 Oct 2013

Body glide and a tight fitting (non-synthetic, eg merino) top works fine for me.
 DreadyCraig 08 Oct 2013
Tape. It's a bugger when you have to rip it off though (hairs!) Synthetic tops are worse for causing this than natural materials.
 RedFive 08 Oct 2013

Funnily enough I got this for the first time on Sunday doing the Great Scottish Run (half marathon).

I normally run in a cheapo More Mile top, but got a fancy Nike one for the race and put it down to a combo of that and the persistent drizzle that made the top heavy plus putting my race number too high.

So the only thing that hurts after running 13 miles is my nipples. Wife thinks this is hilarious.

StefanB 08 Oct 2013

I my experience the running top makes a huge difference. unfortunately, it's not just a question of buying something more expensive to remove the problem. I have so far ailed to find a pattern, but some tops cause much more nipple rush than others.

As has been mentioned, tape works. If you have a hairy chest you can shave of a bit where the tape goes, unless you are bothered by funny looks when you go to the beach
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Interesting comments about the top. This is a new Asics top, sized for close fitting, bought from a running shop, apparently designed for running. It was particularly muggy last night and I did sweat more than usual ending with the top being absolutely sodden on return but even so, I was disappointed by a. the rubbing and b. the fact that it got so wet and remained so.

I would have been better off running in terry towelling for all the drying capabilities demonstrated last night.
 RankAmateur 08 Oct 2013
I've got a Nike top I've been using for years with no problems, but on a recent hill run, it got thoroughly drenched in sweat. The nipple chafe started at about the half way point, and the salty sweat really didn't help.
it would probably have been fine if I'd had a tight shirt on, but with my body shape, that would be doing nobody any favours.
Plasters for next weeks triathlon I think...
 steelbru 08 Oct 2013
Wear a tight compression top that doesn't move - it's the top rubbing across the nipple that's causing the problem, so if you eliminate the movement problem solved
 mbh 08 Oct 2013
In reply to steelbru:

You would think so, but it can't be that simple. The only top I have that gives me a rash is a Nike singlet, and that is fairly tight. Others that don't are quite loose. In particular, my two Under Armour ones don't, but they feel smoother to the touch than the Nike one does. One is loose, one is tight fitting.
 Rampikino 08 Oct 2013

Tape all the way in my experience.

Did Chester Marathon on sunday and taping was the best option. I've had nipple rash and it aint fun.
 mbh 08 Oct 2013
In reply to StefanB:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> I my experience the running top makes a huge difference. unfortunately, it's not just a question of buying something more expensive to remove the problem. I have so far ailed to find a pattern, but some tops cause much more nipple rush than others.
>
Agreed. My experience too. The Nike singlet I have that gives me rash does not feel obviously rougher to the touch than the other tops I have that don't, but I bet if it were looked at under a microscope, it would be seen in fact to be rougher.

Ferret 09 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: The top I have that is worst at this is a tightish fitting fairly technical thicker type.... I fixed it by sewing a patch of uber cheap fabric cut out of an old base layer t-shirt into the relevant areas. Most of my other tops/Tees seem OK, most of the time but distance and amount of damp does make it more likley that a bit of chaffage may occur.
 jayme 24 Oct 2013
Bodyglide is the best product. Its not petrochemical based like Vaseline so does not prevent sweating. also good for feet and crotch ares if you have any chaffing
 The Potato 24 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: its usually my left one that does that, its getting better, but just sometimes. I have in the past put a medium sized square waterproof plaster over it, that works too.
 Ava Adore 25 Oct 2013

I'll never complain about having to wear a sports bra again
 TeeBee 25 Oct 2013

Maybe a bit controversial, but have you considered running without a top? Probably more acceptable in the summer, and where there aren't easily frightened children, but it does prevent chafing.
 peppermill 26 Oct 2013

Suckling newborn piglets on regular basis works for me. 'Hardens the teat' as me granny used to say.
 roy_d 26 Oct 2013
> Went for a cheeky 13kms earlier and when i got back home, I looked down at my fluorescent Asics tee and noticed that my right nipple was crying blood which when mixed with the sweat looked like a particular scene from Pink Floyd's the Wall (oldies will know what I mean).
>
> The poor buggers are sore as you like right now.
>
> How do you hardened runners stop this from happening?

Tape them up! Plasters to cover and if required zinc oxide tape to hold the plasters in place; shave chest hairs away if required.

Jezzer 28 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: a small square of micropore tape gives enough protection. just be gentle when you pull it off your chest hair afterwards
In reply to Jezzer: That is a problem as i have a bit of a rug, i ya get me drift.

Interesting experiment recently. I used a grey cotton T the other day and ran, became very sweaty but no soreness. Then I used a 'technical' T on another day and blood was drawn again.

So you get sore nipples but no sweat or lots of sweat and happy nips.

Wilbur 28 Oct 2013

As per others, tape!

I used zinc oxide tape for my marathon and a recent half. So comfy you forget you have it on.... Which can be an issue.....
 StefanB 29 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Jezzer) That is a problem as i have a bit of a rug, i ya get me drift.
>

shave. Seriously, just shave the hair where you want the tape to stick. Unless you are worried about looking good on a beach ...
 davegs 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Wilbur:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> As per others, tape!
>
> I used zinc oxide tape for my marathon and a recent half. So comfy you forget you have it on.... Which can be an issue.....

Same as me. Use the tape for anything over 4 miles.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...