UKC

Mountain bike sizing and hard or full sus?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 07 Oct 2013
I have a Cube Acid 26" which I really like but which is now very tired. I like the geometry and build of the bike but it's time for a new one.

I mainly do cross country type of stuff in the Highlands but sometimes go to dedicated venues such as the Laggan Wolftrax. When I am at these places I find the downhill really jolts me. I have never tried a full sus bike.

First question, should I go for a full sus or hard tail? I am concerned that if I go for a full sus this will be a real hassle and heavy on my corss country stuff which is mostly what I do.

If I go for a hard tail, should I go 29er or 27.5?

http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/mtb-hardtail/acid/acid-29-blue-green/

http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/mtb-hardtail/acid/acid-275/
 DaveHK 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Do you want to try my full susser?

A full bouncer will make pretty much anyone ride steeper, rockier and faster but there is something great about a light, tight hardtail.

OP Cuthbert 07 Oct 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

That's very kind Dave and I'll take you up on that soon. I suppose it's always going to be a compromise but am erring on the hard tail.
 DaveHK 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

I love my full susser and it's definitely the tool for the kind of riding I do but its not a necessity like some would have you think.
 dmhigg 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: I do most of my riding in the highlands, based around Grantown, and I do long distance events (mtb orienteering), so a range from long stalking tracks getting to munros to chasing the gnarl in the Cairngorms. I swapped muy hardtail for a Giant Anthem a few years back, and I have never regretted it: sprightly enough for exciting stuff (Laggan black) but light and easy to ride. For me the best benefit is the comfort on long rides: I'm still pedalling hard after five hours, where on the hard tail I'd be getting my a*se off the saddle every bumpy bit.

All my spares are 26, so I'm staying 26.
 TomBaker 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
Some interesting stuff on the internet about this. Dependant on how much you're willing to spend a light xc specific full susser looks the way to go if you have enough cash. Obviously however to get a similar spec machine you'll be paying much more!

Also who on earth would you go for a non standard wheel size. Surely the only sensible choices are 26 or 29?
OP Cuthbert 08 Oct 2013
In reply to TomBaker:

I haven't looked into it but from looking at the Cube website I presumed that 27.5 was a compromise.

I think the trouble is that to get a full sus at my budget (£750) it might not be as good as the hardtail.
KevinD 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

> First question, should I go for a full sus or hard tail? I am concerned that if I go for a full sus this will be a real hassle and heavy on my corss country stuff which is mostly what I do.

Depends on the type of full sus you buy.
A downhill monster is pretty useless for anything but that job but a xc full sus is a different matter. Depending on the terrain can be faster and more comfy than a hard tail.

> If I go for a hard tail, should I go 29er or 27.5?

The endless new debate.
 Ben07 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: ive recently bought my firsts full sus off ebay, the plan was to keep it for a few months then sell it to get my money back. Fell in love with it now and there no way I'm selling it. longer rides are so much easier because your not comstantly hovering over ya seat. Mine climbs a lot better than my hardtail aswell, gets a lot better traction on rough ground. downhill is loads more fun aswell.
 MattJP 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

I have spent a long time looking a researching for a new MTB.

I do a mix of XC, trail centres etc etc.

I quickly came to the conclusion, that, unless I had a big pot of cash, a full sus was out of the window.

Many chats with my local bike shop, and I came away with a 29er hardtail. Trek Cobia. And i havent looked back. Rolls over most rocky stuff so a compromise for a full susser and its fast! Its rolls! One tiny niggle but one I can get over is that I have to take tight corners much slower.

One way of stretching your budget rto get a very high specced hardtail or full susser, would be take a look at Chain Reaction. Often huge discounts.

If you know your geometry etc, you could get lucky and get the perfect fit without trying it. Or if you see a bike you like, try and find it in a bike shop and try it!

Good luck!
 galpinos 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Having seen your budget I'd get a hard tail (assuming you are buying new).

I recently bought an On-One Inbred 29er and it has been a revelation. Great up and down and the geometry means that it’s as easy round corners as my old Genesis Altitude 26er and bizarrely is keener to get into the air. Used it to commute, around trail centers and in the Peak.

Geometry makes a big difference as well as wheel size, one 29er will feel totally different to ride than another.
 itsThere 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: You can get a full suss that will wiegh less than the first link no problem there. The downside is it will cost you 2-3 times more. Have a look for a second hand frame or buy some new stuff for you current bike.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?region=5&countryid=193&catego...
 TomBaker 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
I've done a bit more research now on 27.5, realistically, either buy a 26 or a 29, I'm leaning towards my next bike being a 29 at the moment.

On your budget even if you look second hand i'd go for a hardtail.

So to sum I ride similar stuff to you although replace your scottish trail centres with Afan in wales. If i was buying with your budget right now i'd be looking at a 29 hardtail most likely a specialized rockhopper, and replacing the wheels as the first thing i did.
 wbo 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: I'm going thro' the same pain. I'm leaning towards a 29 hardtail as most of what I do isn't that technical and I think the rolling speed will be a real bonus.

Voodoo Bizango in 29 gets really good reviews for the money.
 Jim Hamilton 08 Oct 2013
In reply to MattJP:
>
> Many chats with my local bike shop, and I came away with a 29er hardtail. Trek Cobia.

as a matter of interest what made you go for that one (over say a Specialized equivalent)
 DaveHK 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

For 750 forget the full susser and go for a 29er. Look at on-one. Great deals and dialed 29er geometry.
 balmybaldwin 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

It's worth trying a lot more bikes then you first think. No full sus bikes are the same, they all react differently.

I too am very focused on XC, and tried all sorts of different suspension designs and geometries, and ended up with a very good short travel (120mm)XC full-sus bike. The only comprimise is that it is marginally heavier than a hard tail, but at 24.5lb it's still lighter than most HTs. In terms of climbing ability, it is if anything better than a hard tail due to the extra traction I get on loose or rocky climbs. so another option to consider.

Also, be wary of the new fads with wheel size, often with the 29rs frame geometry is somewhat compromised, and they are heavy (comparing weights of similar specs for the same model in 26" and 29") not to mention the problems you could face replacing parts. From what I understand the 27.5 frames have less of this problem than the 29rs so if you feel you have to go for big wheels, go for the 27.5 (especially as it seems likely that the push by bike manufacturers to get people onto 29rs is likely to reduce significantly in the future)
T_Mac 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: I think the trouble is that to get a full sus at my budget (£750) it might not be as good as the hardtail.

You're absolutely right, dont even contemplate spending less than £1500 on a full susser. £750 will get you an 'ok' hardtail too. I would save up and spend £1000 on a dialed hardtail, it'll hone your skills more than a full susser anyway.
 Alan Taylor 08 Oct 2013
In reply to T_Mac: What he ^^^ said
 Kimono 08 Oct 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to Saor Alba)
>

> Also, be wary of the new fads with wheel size, often with the 29rs frame geometry is somewhat compromised, and they are heavy (comparing weights of similar specs for the same model in 26" and 29")

And another thing to note is that it seems to get around the increased weight issue, a lot of manufacturers have fitted their 29ers with a 2by10 rather 3by10 gearing.
Def worth considering

Horse 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

I'm biased but would say stick with the hardtail. Could you not keep the existing frame and spend the money on upgrading the tired bits? The wheels and fork could make a big difference.

Or, if the important bits on the existing bike are not too bad then buy a good quality hardtail frame and do a custom build. That way you might be able to get something like a Cotic Soul or Solaris (29er), other brands available.
 Gav M 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

As others have said your budget rules out full sus.

I recently bought a 29er hard tail and my first long ride was with a mate who had just spent 2.5 times as much as me on a 29er full sus.

We rode from Dalwhinnie to Culra, pitched up, did the anticlockwise circuit of Ben Alder and rode out to Kinloch Laggan the next day.

My observations:

1. His seat post mounted rack on the full susser performed very well, but the carrying capacity is much reduced compared to a proper rack- room for overnight kit but not for coal or beer on winter bothy trips.

2. I got more flats. This was partially my poor technique, but the rear suspension does soak up the dunts, reducing the likelihood of pinch flats.

3. He was faster downhill

4. After about 75 rough km I could feel it on the ass, whereas my mate reported that his ass was in pristine condition

My conclusion - ideally one would have a hardtail for load carrying and a full susser for more technical riding, but this would necessitate spending £3,000 on bikes.

I'm happy with the compromise I've struck with the hard tail. Another compromise that would allow load carrying would be a full susser + luggage trailer, but that would mean spending about £2,000.
T_Mac 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
At the end of the day, you can never have just one bike that will do it all. Theres no such thing if you're riding varied terrain like we have in the UK.
IMO the basic quiver would be;
-Lightweight (preferably carbon) hardtail up to 120mm fork for the XC missions.
-130mm trail full susser for the more tech stuff if you're smooth, up to 150mm if you're not.
-A.N.Other for weird duties such as haulin' to bothies or the daily commute or whatever. Prob a CX beast.
 MHutch 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

You can't get a decent new full suss for £750. Secondhand would be a minefield. Even in hardtail territory you'd should be looking around for a bargain - last year's stock bikes etc.

I'd imagine that 27.5 would still be carrying a bit of a premium, so unless you're absolutely certain there's a major benefit to you, you may be able to get a better-specced 26er for that money.
 Pids 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Never going to get the ideal bike.

I've always stuck with hardtails, last bike I bought was 3½ years ago, does for me on xc and the odd trip to dedicated trails centres.

Have noticed though that when at trails centres I am one of the few on hard tail nowadays, eveyone else seems to be on full sussers - has to be a reason for that?

Now that Cathkin Braes up and running it is even more noticable that there are few people there on hard tails.

If you can afford it why not keep your existing hard tail running, using it for xc and messing around, and buy a new full susser to go menatl fast down the trails centres, you will probably then also start using on xc days.

No idea on the 29er front though - but whatever you buy, there will always be a better one out tomorrow . Good luck.
 TomBaker 09 Oct 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:
I couldn't disagree more. 29ers are pretty much here to stay and most companies have now sorted the geometry (2 years ago i'd have sung a different tune) however the 27.5 really are the worst of both worlds, and i really don't see it lasting as a wheel size for more than a few years.

On the subject of many 29er builders switching from 3x10 to 2x10, i'd make the switch now on my current bike, there is really no need for a 3x10.
OP Cuthbert 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Pids:

Cheers. Just took my old bike to the shop to get some work done on it. It is pretty tired.

Trouble is that for my budget it might not be worth buying a full suss so I am thinking hard tail right now.
 the power 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: £750=26 inch wheel second hand steel hardtail with serviceable parts in my opinion."steel is real"
T_Mac 09 Oct 2013
OP Cuthbert 30 Oct 2013
In reply to the power:

What do you reckon to this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kona-hei-hei-100-suspension-bike-2012/rp...

Can anyone tell me the intended use for this bike?
 Alun 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
It is a lovely bike from a respected brand - I've owned several Konas over the last 15 years, all have been great. It has decent components and the right amount for travel for what you need. From your original post, it will be perfect for what you will use it for. It is at a hefty discount and at that price I'd call it a real bargain.

(Incidentally, I agree with what other's have said about the 750 price mark though - for that money you are better off with a 29" hardtail.)
OP Cuthbert 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Alun:

Thanks, with all the jargon I find it hard to work out the intended use of some bikes. I just like cycling a lot.

Is it good for mainly cross country stuff on rough tracks/paths and occasional dedicated trail stuff?
 Escher 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to Alun)
>
> Is it good for mainly cross country stuff on rough tracks/paths and occasional dedicated trail stuff?

Yes, it is exactly that, from the description '100mm cross-country race bike' so that's a 100mm travel (front and rear) lightweight cross country bike. Will cope with pretty much everything except dedicated downhill, jumping etc for which you'd want something beefier but you wouldn't want to be riding one of those uphill! Remember people used to ride all sorts of gnarly trails on fully rigid bikes, in fact many people still do. Looks like a bargain to me and perfect for your needs as long as you are happy not to test ride.
OP Cuthbert 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:

Thanks. What about the "race" bit? Is that just to make it sounds fancy?
 Wee Davie 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

That Kona looks a cracking deal. Only thing that would stop me (apart from my total lack of cash) would be the sizing. I don't ride anything bigger than a 16" frame with me being a towering 5' 7". You're a bit taller eh?

jethro kiernan 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: Got back into mountain biking after a good few years and borrowed a full sus of a freind and imediatly decided to ditch my 18 year old GT hardtail.
My budget was similar to yours so spent some time trawling e bay and pinkbike and single track bike radar for a full sus bike that would fit the bill without causing a divorce, much like your self I was looking for a do it all bike for trail centre/xc. The bike's are out there for that price it just takes some persistence eventually got a 2010 felt virtue 1 from a genuine seller, light at 25.5lbs and 120 travel for the trails. Really enjoy it and not long done the Howies coed y brenin enduro on it, but part of me is yearning for a 27.5 150/160mm travel enduro machine for more gravity based fun ;- there is no such thing as the one bike in MTB

OP Cuthbert 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

I am 5ft9, slim with blue eyes and solvent. I don't think they have a frame in my size.
 Escher 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to Escher)
>
> Thanks. What about the "race" bit? Is that just to make it sounds fancy?

Yes, to make it sound flash, and also likely to mean it is lightweight as I would expect this one is.
Bob kate bob 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: I got my Santa Cruz Juliana for less than your budget.
You just need to get savy with the second hand market.
Bkb
 Alun 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
> I am 5ft9, slim with blue eyes and solvent. I don't think they have a frame in my size.

Konas size small - I am 5'10 and my 19" frame fits me perfect. But I would want to be double triple sure of the size before you spend your money.
OP Cuthbert 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Alun:

Does that mean that I should get a bigger bike than normal or smaller?
 Horse 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

I'm 5'8" and anything over 16.5" frame size is like riding a gate. Go a size down rather than up. Remember it is the top tube length that is usually the critical dimension.
OP Cuthbert 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Horse:

Ok thanks. It looks like they don't have my size then. Shame. I would need a 17"
In reply to Saor Alba:

> I have never tried a full sus bike.

Well try one... Go to a decent shop that you might buy a bike from, and ask to borrow a demo machine. Take it to your chosen venue and try it out.

Or borrow one. Or hire one.

Make sure it's properly adjusted for you, of course, so you get the 'real experience', and don't spend a day bouncing around like a complete spanner...

> I am concerned that if I go for a full sus this will be a real hassle and heavy on my corss country stuff

XC race bikes are generally full sus. They don't need to be heavyweight downhill or jump bikes. My Specialized Epic is lighter than my old Rockhopper (admittedly, a lot more expensive...)

The 29" bubble seems to be bursting, and 650B seems to be the latest trend. A mate of mine commented today:

"I heard a guy from Giant on the radio the other week saying that they were moving away from 29ers into 650s. He said that most joe-public type-people try a 29er and think “great ability to roll over any obstacle” but “it’s a pig to steer and turn quickly” so they shy away."

So I guess if your riding involves a lot of rolling over bumps, but not twisty little passages, then a 29" might be better.
OP Cuthbert 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to Saor Alba)
> [...]
>
> Konas size small - I am 5'10 and my 19" frame fits me perfect. But I would want to be double triple sure of the size before you spend your money.

Ok so I have compared the geometry of my current Cube Acid 18" with the Kona 18" and to summarise the Kona is 1 to 1.5 inches bigger in every way.

I don't know what you mean by "size small" as that could go either way. Thanks for your info though.
In reply to captain paranoia:

I was talking to a couple of guys from Hope the other week and they'd had a visit from the Giant reps (Hope use Giant frames for their race team kit). Giant are moving out of the 29er market as they can't get the geometry sorted to ensure both handling and longevity of the frame. Also the wheels are weaker compared to a 26. Consequently they are looking at the 27.5 and will move to that completely over the next year or two.

Then the latest edition of MBR came out saying basically the same thing but also said that Specialized are sticking with the 29er sizing.

Depending on your height (and/or standover height) you might not be able to find a suitable 29er, certainly my wife at 5' 2" couldn't - she looked like a kid on an adult's bike Whether these alternative wheel sizings are here for the long term is hard to say - there's a lot of hype: the manufacturers have to keep providing something "new" so that folk keep buying new bikes. The UK is still a stronghold of the 26", perhaps mainly due to trail centres which are a particulary British phenomenon and where the agility of the 26" shines.

Note that with the 27.5 inch wheels you can stretch a 26" inner tube or pull in a 29" inner tube in an emergency.

As others have said, there's no one bike that will do everything. Ideally I'd like the following:

Road bike: obvious but mainly for summer
Commuter: both for commuting and touring
CX bike: with nobblies for light off-road duty, with slicks for use as a winter bike.
Hardtail: 650b with 1x10 drivetrain, general XC trails and getting in to remote Munros
XC full susser: for the technical stuff and trail centres.

I've got three of them

ALC
 DaveHK 03 Nov 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to captain paranoia)
> I've got three of them
>

Get saving!
 Wee Davie 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

A smaller mtb will feel more responsive to 'flick' around on the trails. Buy one that's too large/ long for you and you will, as Horse says, feel like it's "riding a gate."

I made the mistake of buying a 18" Kona Cindercone in about 1994 and hated it. It was far too long and too high to be able to lift the front end snappily.

The next Cindercone I bought was a 14" one which was probably a bit wee- but by feck was it responsive. I loved that bike- a total contrast to the 18 incher.

DaveHK 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

What you're saying Davie is that a 16" bike would be just right for you.

Donald: Buy the right size, not wee for flickability or big for what ever reason.
OP Cuthbert 26 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Ok so I got the Kona Hei Hei 100 in 18" size but I suspect it's too big for me. Slightly (one inch) longer than my current bike which is fine but I only have 2 inches clearance on the standover height.
OP Cuthbert 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Just noted this morning that my old bike only has one inch stand over clearance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...