UKC

Aonach Eagach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gfpowell 08 Oct 2013
Sorry if this has been done to death but i'm heading up to Glencoe in two weeks and was thinking about doing the Aonach Eagach ridge.

Just wondering what conditions are likely to be like and where i can get a good description of the route?

Cheers
 JohnnyW 08 Oct 2013
In reply to gfpowell:

It has, but I'm on tea break, so hey, why not.

You first problem is that it could have anything from snow, ice, wind, rain, fog, and wet slimy rock, to a sublime dry day, with relatively grippy, sound rock. You won't really know until a few days out, and even then, the forecasted conditions may vary considerably from what you find up there.

The reality is that you need the prerequisite ability to make the judgement yourself, based on your ability, confidence and desire for an enjoyable day.

I hope this doesn't sound facaeious, but it is a fact about such routes - You can come up here fancying a route, but you should have alternatives, and only embark upon it if it is 'right'.

As for the route, it couldn't be more straightforward - Drop a car at the bottom of the path off from the Pap, get to the start at the foot of Am Bodach. Follow the path behind the now infamous cottage up to the summit of Am Bodach. Make the looks-harder-than-it is decent onto the ridge, then STICK TO THE CREST, or as close as possible, until the end. Then decend via the col at the foot of the Pap.

I hope you get it done, but it is an (even more) unpredicatable time of the year mate.
 Milesy 08 Oct 2013
It can be quite desperate at bits if there has been a hard frost or verglass, particularly on the descent from Am Bodach. As said the weather is changing, with cold temperatures and snow forecast in the next few days, and who knows what it will be like in 2 weeks time. I normally don't make plans any more than 2 days away and even then the day before is when I concrete my plans.
 Jamie B 08 Oct 2013
In reply to gfpowell:

Did it on Saturday, very slippy in the wet, my brother was glad of the rope on sections. Significantly easier on dry rock, but this gets rarer at this time of year! Strong winds would also make it a no-go.

If you do it East to West, as is normal, you have the tricky descent of Am Bodach first. If this proves terrifying, climb back up it and retreat the way you came - the Pinnacle section is longer, harder and inescapable.

If you descend via the Pap of Glencoe col, as suggested above, you lengthen the day considerably and end up some distance from you car or the pub! I almost invariably descend due south from just after the summit of the last munro (Sgurr nam Fiannaidh). This takes you down loose scree initially but is quick, safe and you pick up a better path lower down. It also dumps you on the road close to the Clachaig junction, and a much easier walk back to your car (about 40 minutes).

Enjoy - it's one of the very best scrambles on the mainland.
 RyanOsborne 08 Oct 2013
In reply to gfpowell: Just as tip, there's a taxi company locally (called Alistair's taxis I think) who will pick you up from the YHA (or wherever) and drop you off at the start - he knows where it is. Costs about a tenner, and saves the slog back to the car at the end. You could probably try to hitch too, but obviously less reliable.
 Jamie B 08 Oct 2013
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Not a good road for getting a hitch on.
Tim Chappell 08 Oct 2013
If you ask me, the logical thing is to do it W to E, so that one finishes at the top end, where one has cunningly planted a bike and can then freewheel down the Glen. Which is much better than grinding up it with a conga of lorries and buses churning away on one's rear mudguard.

Those of us who like to protect our knees will also like this method because it minimises the descent on foot.
 kwoods 08 Oct 2013
In reply to gfpowell: Someday I want to do it both ways, which unless it was a white-knuckle-ride, actually seems more logical.

I think the AE is totally exposure - if it hits you, it'll be hard, if it doesn't it'll be a walk (nearly...). I've been on both sides of that!
 Andes 08 Oct 2013
In reply to kwoods:
Won't be a walk if there is verglas or a metre of powder snow...! As several have said already you'll need to wait till one or two days beforehand you'll have any idea of what conditions will be like.
 Billhook 08 Oct 2013
In reply to gfpowell:
Unless by some mircale of nature you start early and are faced with a meter of fresh new snow, you'll be following either a deep trail along the top in snow, or more likely a worn path along the top.
 Jamie B 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Andes:

I've ploughed a trench along it at this time of year before! Anyone's guess what you'll get in 2 weeks.
In reply to gfpowell: See this UKH Route Card for a route description: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=73 This is the less popular (but equally good ) W-to-E direction, and a longer take on the standard day too.
 UKC Forums 09 Oct 2013
This thread was started in the ROCK DESTINATIONS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...