UKC

40th Birthday - Something big!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
molly2202 08 Oct 2013
Wanting some suggestions......

A friend and I turn 40 in February and we are looking for something to climb in the Alps.

He has limited experience - climbs to V Diff, is fairly fit (10k trail runs regular etc) but is not a Scottish winter expert, by any means...

So, question is this - What would you recomend we tackle, with a guide? I'm thinking something like Matterhorn via Hornli route in Spring? Mont Blanc in Spring?

What would be a worthwhile trip for us both? We will have about a week pass out from the wives.....
 jon 08 Oct 2013
In reply to molly2202:

Neither in the spring.
molly2202 08 Oct 2013
In reply to jon: Thanks.... what time of year would you suggest?
 jon 08 Oct 2013
In reply to molly2202:

Summer. For the Matterhorn July > August > early September, though it can equally be out of condition during any of that time! Same for Mont Blanc but also include the second half of June. Mont Blanc is skiable in the spring, but as you gave your mate's climbing experience I assume you mean a climbing ascent. For guided ascents, Mont Blanc is on a ratio of 2:1 but the Matterhorn is 1:1.
 Ciro 08 Oct 2013
In reply to molly2202:

Think the alpine season is June/July these days... we went to do Mont Blanc near the end of August last year but backed off at the Gonella hut because of reports that the route above was too unstable.
 lowersharpnose 08 Oct 2013
In reply to molly2202:

Aiguille Verte earlier in the season - conditions dependent as are most routes.
 TobyA 09 Oct 2013
In reply to molly2202: This was my 40th "party" http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2013/09/stetinds-sydpilaren-south-pill... Not saying you should do the same; but gives you some inspiration! My mates 50th "party" back in late spring was a ski ascent of the highest peak in Northern Norway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...