/ Greatest Movie Scene Ever?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Enty - on 08 Oct 2013
I shall nominate the helicopter scene from Apocalypse Now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHjWDCX1Bdw

E
abr1966 - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: the basketball scene in teenwolf !;-)
Trevers - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to abr1966:

Graveyard sequence from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?
Enty - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Good call. Blue Straggler will be along soon with something we've never heard of ;-)

E
Jimbo C - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The escape scene in Shoreshank Redemption. Love that moment where the penny drops.
Kemics - on 08 Oct 2013
I'd say it's La Marseillaise scene from Casablanca -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM

The fact it was made during 1942 when the outcome of the war was anything but certain makes it all the more poignant.
ripper - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
Closing scene of Godfather one
The 'fly' scene in Once Upon a Time in the West
Eastwood in the bar taking on Gene Hackman's baddies in Unforgiven
there are so many....
Tom V - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

Fred and Cyd Dancing in the Dark from "The Band Wagon".
Tom Last - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in True Romance is the one that always pops into my head when I hear this question.
ripper - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: how about It's A Wonderful Life - James Stewart deciding not to top himself but instead to submit to a life of low-earning drudgery while the capitalist fat-cat banker continues to get rich by screwing the little guy. or something.
Blue Straggler - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Last:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in True Romance is the one that always pops into my head when I hear this question.

I saw a soundbite "review" in Empire which stated that True Romance is one of the very very few films in which every single scene is "perfect". It is hard to disagree with that.
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Trevers)
>
> Good call. Blue Straggler will be along soon with something we've never heard of ;-)
>

I thank you sir. Actually if you have paid attention to UKC over the years you will have heard of this. It is in a Dennis Quaid film. A proper good deadly serious film. "Savior".
The lake shore scene. You just DO NOT KNOW what is about to happen, but you know it is going to be grim for at least one of the principal characters. It is superb and horrible at the same time.

Either that, or the "awakening of the robot" in Laputa the Flying Island.
In reply to Tom Last:

You're a canteloupe
In reply to Enty:

By 3am, we'll have "tears in rain". Trust me on this.
Tom V - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Don't Clarence and the girl run off with some mob money? Seems a bit derivative to me.
Tom Last - on 08 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Tom Last)
>
> You're a canteloupe

Haha forgot that's the closing line. Just Googled it and apparently an ad-lib on Walken's part. Some actor.

Thinking about the bit you read in Empire, actually yeah, the scene with Clarence and Drexell "Well lookie here - we got a mutha... Charlie Bronson" etc, is probably just as good.

Even a Brad Pitt cameo; it's got everything!
ripper - on 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: Brassed Off - Stephen Tompkinson, the essence of tragi-comedy, running up the street in his clown suit complete with big shoes to try (and fail) to stop the bailiffs taking all his furniture back. made me cry like a girl anyway.
sbc_10 - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

2001: A space Odyssey.....airborne bone becomes spaceship

Once upon a Time in the West .....Railway shoot-out.."You bring a horse for me?"

The Third Man .....the cat finds Harry Lime in the shadows..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhRZZZu2Swc
Ramblin dave - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
OTTOMH, either the montage bit at the start of Up, or the mirror scene from Duck Soup.
Blue Straggler - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom V:

Take it outside, Valentine :-)
(does this line from Charley Varrick remind you of a Tarantino scene btw? "They're gonna strip you naked and go to work on you with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.")
ads.ukclimbing.com
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: feeding the alien in Dark Star
Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The poignant end of Terminator 2, where Arnie sticks his thumb up as he is lowered into the molten iron.
In reply to Enty:

Michael orders Fredo never to take sides against the family...
In reply to Enty:

The penny drops for Michelle Williams in Brokeback Mountain. Superb "eye acting" (i.e. no dialogue etc, everything is "written" on her face)
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: given the knowledge that there was no effects trickery going on, the river rapids raft scenes from Aguirre Wrath of God are pretty amazing
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> The penny drops for Michelle Williams in Brokeback Mountain. Superb "eye acting" (i.e. no dialogue etc, everything is "written" on her face)

There a brilliant piece of eye acting from Brendan Gleeson in In Bruges, during the phone conversation when 'Harry' suddenly starts referring to Colin Farrell's character in the past tense, and the penny drops for Gleeson that he's being ordered to kill his friend.
Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

In Little Miss Sunshine, when the teenage lad realises he's colour blind.
Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

John Cussack and friend standing at the bar recovering from dumping a body in the furnace at the school reunion. And, especially, therein, uttering the line 'thanks for the pen'.
In reply to Enty:

Might be a bit too recent to be calling it a "best ever", but the director does have past form....so I'll throw in "the Eva Mendes sequence in Holy Motors" :-)
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: "ours go up to 11"
Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Dispater:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> John Cussack and friend standing at the bar recovering from dumping a body in the furnace at the school reunion. And, especially, therein, uttering the line 'thanks for the pen'.

Might have helped if I'd named the movie.

A carrot to the first correct entry!

ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Dispater: hmmm, John Cusack, a dead body, a school reunion... nah, my mind's gone Blank
Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The 'pissing competition' between Robin Williams and Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting.

And moments later, when Williams removes his glasses.
Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to ripper:

:-)

Wanna do some blow?
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Dispater: oh, you meant a Camberwell Carrot?
Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The final scene in Unforgiven, when, in perfectly gloomy darkness and heavy rain, William Munny leaves town.

"All right now, I'm comin' out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna kill him. Any sonofabitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his god damn house down."
Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The blow torch and blood test scene in John Carpenter's The Thing, and especially the fellow's request to be freed from the chair once matters have calmed down a little.
In reply to Enty:

Waterski-ing the Seine on Bastille Day in "Les Amants du Pont-Neuf"

That's the kind of thing you were looking for from me, right? :-)

Or the bridge scene in Sorcerer.
Or Satan's extremely brief appearance in The Devil Rides Out.
Or the "tying the disparate story elements together" denouement in Scream And Scream Again.
Or Harry Goldfarb delivering the huge television to his mother in Requiem for A Dream, spotting that she is on an amphetamine diet,explaining to her what she is doing, and being told that she understands and doesn't care because it makes her happy. Heartbreaking stuff.
Or THAT bit in Bridge to Terabithia.

But bugger all that. I will go for ANY SCENE FROM THE ABYSS. Like True Romance, there's not much that you'd want to alter in that film. All of its action scenes are great. All of its dramatic scenes are great. All of its "romantic" scenes are great. All of its "comedic" scenes are great. Hell, even all of its "filler" scenes are great :-)

Then again The Abyss is just a remake of 2010: The Year We Make Contact. Dr. Chandra's final conversation with HAL 9000 in that film is beautiful...

Int cinema BRILLIAAAAAAANTTTT!
Flatus Vetus - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The campfire scene in Blazing Saddles

The sausage scene in Freddy Got Fingered
Motown - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: The set-up poker game in The Sting.
ads.ukclimbing.com
The RigPig - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The John Hurt "Uninvited dinner guest" scene in Alien.
no_more_scotch_eggs - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to The RigPig:

The whole of 'spirited away', from the opening title to the closing credits. Perfect film making.
Rosco P Coltrane - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

This...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX56rbqZhto

"Get ready little lady, hell is comin to breakfast"
leeboy1985 - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: the scene in heat when Robert de Nero and Al Pachino sit down together
Trangia - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The opening 20 mins of "Saving Private Ryan"

Made me feel very glad that I wasn't there.....
This thread contains 90% macho blokey films/scenes :-/
puppythedog on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: The moment that Huge Grunt tells the american president to jog on in Love actually.
Tom V - on 09 Oct 2013

You are right. For some reason most people on here would probably rather watch Southern Comfort than Cache.
jazzyjackson on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

Gas mask scene from Dead Mans Shoes
Cinema sing song from Man Bites Dog
Egg scene from Funny Games
DMT sequence from Enter The Void
Fire Extinguisher scene from Irreversible
Discovering the house in Blair Witch Project

JJ
SidharthaDongre - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The 'Alien' and 'The Thing' scenes are awesome, but I reckon the ballroom scene from Eyes Wide Shut gets it for me. The direction, cinematography and score come together just perfectly.
In reply to Enty:
The training scenes from Matrix. It's easy to forget how cool that was in light of the sequels and that we no think of such special effects as normal.

Pretty much all of the fight scenes in hero.

'Every time a bell rings' at the end of wonderful life.

The indian escaping in 'One flew over the Cuckoo's nest'

pebbles - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: ok then

Thelma and Louse revving their sports car out over the edge of the grand canyon
pebbles - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to pebbles: and I quite liked the lawyer getting eaten by T Rex while sitting on the toilet in Jurassic Park
Bjartur i Sumarhus on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: It's 9.30am and no one mentioned the Blade Runner scene.
1poundSOCKS - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: I must have seen Apocalypse Now a 100 times (*), the helicopter attack still raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

For a jaw dropping ending, how about Usual Suspects. For a proper head spinning, gut wrenching experience, the head cam/vomit scene from Requiem for a Dream (the musical score seems to be everywhere now). The bar entrance of Johnny Boy in Mean Streets (again, it's the music!).

(*) slight exageration
In reply to Enty: to try and get away from the blokey scenes...a couple that I thought of that I really enjoyed were the life sequence of the couple at the beginning of Up ending in his wifes death and funeral.

Also, when Forest Gump meets his son for the first time and is told that he doesn't have any learning difficulties.

In reply to 1poundSOCKS: One without music (from what I can recall)...the waves lapping/shooting scene with Jude Law and Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition. Beautiful.
mav - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
From my childhood: either flying bikes in ET; the scene when obi wan dies in Star Wars; or the chariots in Ben Hur
From my adoloscence: Dennis Hopper breathing into hi oxygen mask in Blue Velvet; or Brian throwing the windows open to see the crowd below
From adulthood: the shower scene in Schlinders List; russian roulette in Deer Hunter; 'Full Metal Jacket' scene in, well, Full Metal Jacket
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to mav: if you're mentioning Star Wars it has to be the oh-so-loaded attack on the Death Star scene - gender politics anyone? Luke flies a penis-shaped space ship down a long deep crack with a hole at the end, jizzes his torpedos down the opening and makes a 'happy face'. All because the only woman he's ever fancied is his sister.
mav - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to ripper: methinks you're thinking about things too deeply
ads.ukclimbing.com
mav - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
Of course, there is always MI2 or Cliffhanger...
In reply to mav: That's what you call deep!!! :)
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
> (In reply to mav) That's what you call deep!!! :)

and we haven't even touched on Luke's father issues...
In reply to mav:
> (In reply to ripper) methinks you're thinking about things too deeply

Methinks ripper has borrowed a well-known and well-worn fun interpretation of Star Wars.
In reply to Enty: The basic instinct leg parting scene?
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: well I didn't know that was well-known but it's hardly surprising - it's right there on the screen after all...
anyway, how come we're 12 hours + in and still no attack ships burning off the shoulder of orion? Or, for that matter, no Omar Sharif emerging from a grain of sand?
Al Evans on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to ripper: The opening to 2001, or maybe the opening to Saving Private Ryan.
Possibly mid movie Chalie Chaplain making potatoes on forks dance in The Gold Rush.
> (In reply to mav)
> [...]
>
> Methinks ripper has borrowed a well-known and well-worn fun interpretation of Star Wars.

It's the lack of concern for the civilian contract labour on the second Death Star that bothers me.
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: I also really like Truman finally breaking free, to bump into the horizon and meet his 'maker'.
Al Evans on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to ripper: Oh, and I forgot the Duelling Banjos scene in Deliverance.
Fredt on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The scene in Jaws on the boat when they gradually get drunk and start comparing scars, then Robert Shaw tops them all with his sober account of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis.
Enty - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> The scene in Jaws on the boat when they gradually get drunk and start comparing scars, then Robert Shaw tops them all with his sober account of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis.

Good one!

E
johncoxmysteriously - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

Reading this thread reminds one what utter shite most films are.

jcm
Tony Naylor on 09 Oct 2013
Hat Dude on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
The last scene in Some Like It Hot

"Well nobody's perfect!"
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Unusually positive comment from you John.
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

As I mentioned, this thread is mostly about macho films. Maybe you would find succour in some Merchant/Ivory productions :-)
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHoNMeD63g

Also, another non-macho choice, the final scene(s) of Pan's Labyrinth, where the girl escapes the horror of real life and ascends her throne as goblin princess (or, does she just die?)

alexanderjwatts - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
i nominate the long take introduction to Goodfellas - three and a half minutes in one shot... fairly rare in film making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJEEVtqXdK8
In reply to alexanderjwatts:
> (In reply to Enty)
> i nominate the long take introduction to Goodfellas - three and a half minutes in one shot... fairly rare in film making.

What do you mean "introduction"? It's not the opening scene. And is it a great SCENE or is it just a nice bit of audacious cinematic choreography that serves no narrative purpose? :-)
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to alexanderjwatts:
> (In reply to Enty)
> i nominate the long take introduction to Goodfellas - three and a half minutes in one shot... fairly rare in film making.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJEEVtqXdK8

how about the eight-minute traffic jam tracking shot in Godard's 'Weekend'?

In reply to ripper:

And yet another thread goes off on an unrelated tangent....

Greatest tracking shot at least in terms of the logistics of moving the camera, is from "This is Cuba". Look it up.
Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
> This thread contains 90% macho blokey films/scenes :-/

I wondered how long you'd be able to resist the urge to 'educate' us, Kenny.

Why don't you pop on a dress and some eye liner and tell us which non-macho, non-blokey scenes we should rate highly.
DemRavens on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: the fade away cross by micky to George in snatch one punck ko
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: well, not sure it's entirely unrelated....
I will look that up when I get a chance though, ta
drunken monkey - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan is something else. Horrific, realistic, dramatic. Seen quotes from D-Day veterans saying it was almost like they were back on the beach.
In reply to Blue Straggler: > Look it up.

Hasn't everybody seen it!!!

BTW, I've only heard about it because it inspired Paul Thomas Anderson's pool scene tracking shot in Boogy Nights.
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to drunken monkey: check out Chinese war film 'Assembly' - the battle scenes beat anything I've seen for sheer gut-wrenchingness
itsThere on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: wallace and gromit wrong trousers train chase

http://www.vimeo.com/43129713
hang_about - on 09 Oct 2013
Almost anything from Brazil - 'fancy a little necrophilia?' or the opening tracking shot through the office.
In reply to itsThere:
> (In reply to Enty) wallace and gromit wrong trousers train chase
>
> http://www.vimeo.com/43129713

Good call.
In reply to Blue Straggler: Do you mean "I am Cuba" ?
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) Do you mean "I am Cuba" ?

Yes. Thanks and sorry
Euge - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
Oh Captain, My Captain... "Dead Poets Society"
End of "Angel Heart" when Mickey discovers who he is.
Pram scene in "The Untouchables"

and the whole of "LA Confidential"

E
J Brown - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

So many good scenes here. My tuppence worth, in no particular order, and without too much thought...

De Niro and Pacino sitting down together in 'Heat'.
The end of ET.
Meg Ryan's 'performance' in the diner in 'When Harry Met sally'.
Maybe just because I saw it last week, but the finale to 'Argo'.
The cast leaving the café at the start of 'Reservoir Dogs'.
Pacino deciding to take the shot, and control of the family, in 'The Godfather'.
The hotel room intro to 'Apocalypse Now'.
Chris Harris - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Dispater:

Why don't you show where I have said that it's a bad thing that so many of the suggestions in this thread (including many of mine) are macho and blokey?

I was merely voicing an observation. Don't go looking for negativity where there is none.
Rosco P Coltrane - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: All the poster's are macho climbers, and we love our macho movies, don't we? :)
Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Dispater)
>
> Why don't you show where I have said that it's a bad thing that so many of the suggestions in this thread (including many of mine) are macho and blokey?

Here: ":-/".

And I did *genuinely* omit a :-) of my own.

;)

ads.ukclimbing.com
Paul F - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) All the poster's are macho climbers, and we love our macho movies, don't we? :)

Ohh that reminds me…

The desert tower climbing scene in Vertical limit.

The semi-automatic bolt gun in Cliffhanger

;o)

I'll get my parka…..

In reply to Dispater:

I perhaps have misunderstood the true meaning of the ":-/", I thought it was a neutral shrug :-P :-) ;-)
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Euge:
> (In reply to Enty)
> .
> Pram scene in "The Untouchables"
>
> E

Pram scene in untouchables is of course a rip-off/homage of the famous scene in Battleship Potemkin, so shouldn't really count. If you want a good Brian De Palma staircase/railway station/shootout scene I give you the almost-closing scenes of Carlito's Way - and the final tragic meeting with Benny from the Bronx moments later
In reply to ripper:
> shouldn't really count.

Tommyrot. By that logic you would have to discount a lot of stuff in this thread. Apocalypse Now is after all just a ripoff/homage of Aguirre, Wrath of God :-)
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
> (In reply to ripper)
> [...]
>
> Tommyrot. By that logic you would have to discount a lot of stuff in this thread. Apocalypse Now is after all just a ripoff/homage of Aguirre, Wrath of God :-)

oh come on Blue - yes AN is clearly very heavily influenced by Aguirre, but I don't think it has any scenes that so deliberately and obviously reference the source material as Untouchables does with Potemkin. I don't remember any slo-mo helicopters or naplam explosions in Aguirre....
maybe the arrows coming out of the jungle, but that hasn't been picked as a 'great scene' by anyone yet, has it?
In reply to ripper:

I made a funny
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: ah sorry, failed to spot your :-)
:-/
;-)
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013

ok name this movie scene:

:-) :-( :-? :-/ :-| :-( :- :-(
In reply to Blue Straggler: That moment at the end of Brief Encounter when her Husband resasures her.
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog: good guess, and superb movie, but not what I had in mind
Gazlynn - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The sermon on the mount and the stoning in Life of Brian.

The drill instructor scenes in Full Metal Jacket.

Elliot meets ET for the first time in the garden shed

cheers

Gaz

In reply to ripper:

The second-to-last one has no mouth so is it that bit in The Matrix where the Agents first prove to Neo that his reality is not real (his mouth seals up)? Or the mouthless woman in Twilight Zone: The Movie?
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
> (In reply to ripper)
>
> The second-to-last one has no mouth

that was a typo - there's a limit to the range of emotions I can express in this way (or in any way, if I'm brutally honest).
guess again?
In reply to ripper:
My final answer:
Ben Stiller zipping up his flies too quickly in There's Something About Mary.
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
A classy momentm but no
it was supposed to be this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=442d0L7w-Ow
Tom V - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> ok name this movie scene:
>
> :-( :-? :-/ :-( :-(

Pinched Ripper's idea and changed it a bit.

They're all saying the same thing, and after 3 a voice off screen says "In English, please"

ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom V: got to be the usual suspects?
Tom V - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to ripper:

Too easy. Shouldn't have given you the key.
tom_in_edinburgh - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Trevers:
> (In reply to abr1966)
>
> Graveyard sequence from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?

My mule says your wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxYdbGHzaTk

Dispater on 09 Oct 2013
> This thread contains 90% macho blokey films/scenes :-/

This thread does seem to contain 99% of the replies from blokes, to be fair.

Clarence - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

My top three have to be:

1. The ride to work at the beginning of Guest House Paradiso
2. The attack on the embassy in Carry on Up The Khyber
3. Hot puppet sex in Team America: World Police

Sorry, I only watches fillums that makes I larf...
In reply to Dispater:
> [...]
>
> This thread does seem to contain 99% of the replies from blokes, to be fair.

Irrelevant. Girls like blokey films and blokes like girly films! :-P
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Dispater)
> [...]
>
> blokes like girly films! :-P

true - Naomi Watts and Laura Harring getting very friendly in Mulholland Drive is a personal favourite. "Have you done this before...."
In reply to Enty: I quite liked the scene in the girl with the dragon tatoo where she gets the social worker back.
Hat Dude on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

> where she gets the social worker back.

Why would anyone want a tattoo of a social worker on their back!
In reply to Hat Dude: depends on the social worker maybe?
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog: I might - but only coz the wife is a social worker
tim000 - on 09 Oct 2013
andymac - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

I'm no film fanatic ,but there was something special about many of the scenes in

Once Upon A Time in The West.

And a bit of a girly one ;

Scene at the end of Sea of Love ,when Ellen Barkin finally spits the dummy out ,and her face transforms into a beaming ,happy picture.
In reply to Enty:

The scene that culminates in Duncan's death in The Last of the Mohicans is masterfully done. The viewer is not sure how it's going to play out, and it crams a huge amount of story and character development into about 60 seconds (the scene of course is longer than 60 seconds). It is as memorable as the final "Promontory" sequence. In fact, rather like True Romance, I think maybe every single scene in that film is "perfect".
In reply to Blue Straggler: The reveal in 12 Queens was one of the best reveals I have seen in a film. At least as good as Kaiser Sose.
smithg on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: the lobby scene in The Matrix (mabye not anymore, but the first 10 times you watched it).

All the revenge scenes in I Spit On Your Grave.
Robert Durran - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

Just take your pick of almost any scene from Local Hero.
In reply to Robert Durran: or hero
Enty - on 09 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Tom Last)
> [...]
>
>
> I saw a soundbite "review" in Empire which stated that True Romance is one of the very very few films in which every single scene is "perfect". It is hard to disagree with that.

I can't disagree - It's my all time greatest movie.

E
MikeTS - on 09 Oct 2013

I'm a sucker for the fight scenes in Gladiator, esp the one where the gladiator group defeats a group of charioteers circling them in the arena.

But my vote must be for the helicopter scene from Apocalypse Now:
JJL - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The gas station scene from "No country for old men" is pretty good

aln - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: Bambi's mum dying.
Robert Durran - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) or hero

eh?

coinneach - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

I kind of like the diner scene in "Pulp Fiction".........
ads.ukclimbing.com
dek - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The 'revolving head' scene in the Exorcist, only one viewing as a teen, was enough!

The 'Cold Turkey' bit in Trainspotting, where the baby crawls along the ceiling, crude but disturbing.

The Shining... The kid on his pedal bike going along the hotels corridor, then....:-)
In reply to Robert Durran: Any scene in the film Hero is also brilliant.
MonkeyPuzzle - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

From Ghostbusters:

Ray - Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.

Walter Peck - They caused an explosion!

Mayor - Is this true?

Venkman - Yes it's true. This man has no dick.
Fraser on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The scene near the end of The Sound of Music where the whole family, then all the audience join Christopher Plummer as he chokes up singing 'Edelweiss'. ;)
no_more_scotch_eggs - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) Any scene in the film Hero is also brilliant.

this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

good film, i liked "house of the flying daggers" a lot too, it had a particularly memorable scene with a sword fight in a bamboo forest

a couple of others-

Inglourious basterds was a patchy affair, but it had 3 truely outstanding scenes- the opening one in the cabin; when Shoshanna meets Landa in paris; and the cellar scene. The tension and sense that something very bad is just about to happen in each is astonishing. Shame the rest of the film was nonsense

and the USS indianapolis scene in Jaws. brilliant scripting, brillianltly delivered, in one of the best films of all time. Spielberg's never topped it since.

cheers
gregor
Graham Mck on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> Reading this thread reminds one what utter shite most films are.
>
> jcm

No, not so, but it does remind us what a miserable old sod you can be - not that we needed reminding!
ripper - on 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: the opening and closing scenes of The Searchers are pretty great. John Wayne's best, most nuanced work.
Tom V - on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to JJL:
Oh dear. Mentioning NCFOM in a film thread is a bit like saying you've been shopping at TK wossname.
Hat Dude on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Enty) the opening and closing scenes of The Searchers are pretty great. John Wayne's best, most nuanced work.

John Wayne deliberately copied the silhouetted pose in the doorway at the end as a tribute to Harry Carey: one of the first great cowboy movie stars, whose widow Olive Carey played Mrs Jorgenson and whose son Harry Carey Jnr played Brad Jorgenson.

How much of an "anorak" am I about that film!
Blue Straggler - on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom V:
> (In reply to JJL)
> Oh dear. Mentioning NCFOM in a film thread is a bit like saying you've been shopping at TK wossname.

I'm above it!
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Is that your "greatest movie scene", or just "funny dialogue from a film you like"? :-)
Chris Harris - on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> The gas station scene from "No country for old men" is pretty good

The one in "It's a mad mad mad mad world" is better.
1poundSOCKS - on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom V: You don't like NCFOM? You don't like TK Maxx?
planetmarshall on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: Malkovich, Malkovich, Malkovich. Malkovich?
ripper - on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: not the 'greatest ever' but I did love the confrontation scene in the car, between Malkovich and Brad Pitt, in Burn After Reading. Also the bit where Clooney finally loses it and sees spooks watching him from all sides.
Tom V - on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Surprised your post is still around.
Anyway, yes, I do like No Country, but there is a bit of history on here with UKC's leading film critic badmouthing it at every opportunity ;)
In reply to Tom V:

I've never badmouthed, I've just......AAAAAGH I AM GETTING SUCKED IN.... :-)
nufkin - on 10 Oct 2013

> I saw a soundbite "review" in Empire which stated that True Romance is one of the very very few films in which every single scene is "perfect". It is hard to disagree with that

Can't really remember much of True Romance, but I've often thought something similar of Fight Club.

On which note, Edward Norton beating himself up in his bosses office is a pretty good scene
nufkin - on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The duel at the end of Sanjuro is really good
Father Noel Furlong on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

I'm stunned no cotes for the chainsaw scene in Sharknado?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbPbS1ivMo
ads.ukclimbing.com
Philo22 - on 10 Oct 2013

>
> I saw a soundbite "review" in Empire which stated that True Romance is one of the very very few films in which every single scene is "perfect". It is hard to disagree with that.

Agreed.
Byronius Maximus - on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

My mind goes blank for these things when people actually ask for them, but two that spring to mind for some reason are:

-the scene in the airport near the end of Argo. Brilliant tension, probably helped by the fact that I didn't know what the outcome was going to be.

-the Goerings giving their children cyanide in Downfall. That one really got me.
Byronius Maximus - on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

Oh yeah, and Seb Grieve on Meshuga in Hard Grit ;-)
mgco3 - on 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

I think some of the greatest movie moments are "immortalized" by a line of dialog:-

Get away from her you Bitch!.
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
You talkin to me?.
Use the Force Luke.
I am your Father Luke.
There's no place like home.
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.
Hello Clarice.
Make my day.
I vant to be alone
I'll be back

and the often misquoted

Play it again Sam.

loose overhang - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford lighting up the screen in the scene when in "The Way We Were" they first make love. Watch this movie with your girlfriend, you'll both be happy. And the final battle scene in the rain in the original The Seven Samurai.
puppythedog on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to loose overhang: I love the way we were. It such a good film.
Tom V - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mgco3

And the often misquoted

Call it, friendo.

Blue Straggler - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mgco3:
>
>
>
>
> and the often misquoted
>
> Play it again Sam.

Ironic much?
colina - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
my vote goes for al pacinos shootout in scarface .

"ok you wanna play rough? say elo to my little fre..brilliant
In reply to Blue Straggler: I was going to comment but then thought he was pointing out what people say when they ar misquoting. From the top of my head is it
"You played it for her, you can play for me SHam"?
Paul F - on 11 Oct 2013

"There's not a lot of people know that" ;o)
ripper - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
> "You played it for her, you can play for me SHam"?

what's he playing? 'If the kids are united'?
In reply to puppythedog:
>
> "You played it for her, you can play for me SHam"?

Is that the Sean Connery Casablanca?

In reply to Paul F:
>
> "There's not a lot of people know that" ;o)

"Don't you...chack them spears...at me" :-)
In reply to Blue Straggler: misspelling :-(
Neil Henson - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Fredt: Damn, I was just about to post that one too! Apparently Robert Shaw wrote that himself.
MonkeyPuzzle - on 11 Oct 2013
> (In reply to MonkeyPuzzle)
>
> Is that your "greatest movie scene", or just "funny dialogue from a film you like"? :-)

Oh yeah. The second one.

Okay - The scene in Miller's Crossing where Casper's men try to hit Leo at home. I whooped the first (and second and third) time I watched that.
ripper - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: The scene in Dog Day Afternoon when Pacino is demanding a plane to take him and John Cazale to any country they want to go. When he asks Cazale what country in the world he'd most like to run to, cazale says 'Wyoming'...
drmarten on 11 Oct 2013
Straight to Hell, Joe Strummer in the hardware shop buying some nails.
The sexual tension is electrifying.
The scene at the end where the Fiat Panda plunges off the cliffs and you can hear the occupants screaming after the car has exploded at the bottom is terrifying.
My two favourite movie scenes and conveniently in the same movie.
MonkeyPuzzle - on 11 Oct 2013
Michael Jackson's Moonwalk, where he turns into a robot somehow to stop, in some way, Mr Big who is, for some reason, trying to get all of the children of the world addicted to drugs, or something.

That was a good film, wasn't it?
ads.ukclimbing.com
Aztec Bar - on 11 Oct 2013

Once upon a time in the west, final shoot out.

Star man, arrival of mothership in desert.

The unforgiven, scene in bar at end.
In reply to Enty:

Oooh! OOOH!

Maximilian Schell in Judgement At Nuremberg, suddenly surprising the entire courtroom by demonstrating that in fact he is not just some young sacrificial stooge, but is in fact an excellent lawyer who knows exactly what he is doing. His verbal assault on Judy Garland is superb and terrifying. It's made all the better by Schell himself being the "unknown" in a huge ensemble cast of some of the biggest stars in Hollywood (and outshining the whole lot of them and blagging a Best Actor Oscar into the bargain :-) )
Actually a few Stanley Kramer films have astonishingly powerful scenes. On The Beach and Inherit The Wind are also fab.

But the best, really, has to be Dr Terwilliker dressing for the big performance in The 5000 Fingers of Dr T! With Kramer as producer.

In reply to Aztec Bar:
>
>
> The unforgiven, scene in bar at end.

Not meaning to be pedantic...I am genuinely interested...do you mean Clint Eastwood's film "Unforgiven", or John Huston's film "The Unforgiven"? I have not seen the latter but I think I should (Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn in a rather different kind of Western to the Eastwood film...)
Mountain Lass - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

I offer:

K2 - "I spend my life dealing with the scum of the earth, that's why I come here with you, you know? To find a little grace..."

The moment they click their fingers and turn off the Eiffel Tower in La Haine

The butterfly in Tree of Life

Tom Hanks explaining the opera in Philadelphia

The Matrix lobby scene where they go to rescue Morpheus

Master and Commander: "the birds flightless you say? - Yes - Well it's not going anywhere then is it?" - cue La Musica Notturna Delle Strade Di Madrid' No. 6, Op. 30

The 'family meal' scene in Ken Loach's Family Life

and, of course, "I'm not left-handed either..." - The Princess Bride

ml
Blue Straggler - on 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Mountain Lass:
>

>
> and, of course, "I'm not left-handed either..." - The Princess Bride
>
:-)
though I personally prefer "I've spent the last 18 months building up an immunity" :-)

Mountain Lass - on 12 Oct 2013

"If only we had a wheelbarrow..."

Always you are saying this word. I do not think it means what you think it means
Mountain Lass - on 12 Oct 2013

We'll never survive...

Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has.

My Wi-Fi is flaky, sorry, can't keep up!
mack - on 12 Oct 2013

Great film...

Inconceivable!

Inigo: You seem like a decent fellow, I hate to kill you.

Westley: You seem like a decent fellow. I hate to die.

=)
BMrider - on 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
Shared cultural references are good; I'm enjoying remembering the scenes suggested above.

For what it's worth, I'll offer in addition :

The Dude extinguishes the burning roach in his crotch with his beer, and then crashes his car into the dumpster. The Big Lebowski

"He's not the Messiah; He's a very naughty boy!" Life of Brian

Inside the derelict spaceship from Alien
biped - on 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

I can't find the kitchen table sex scene from The Revenge of Billy the Kid so I'll nominate this as a poor second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ojE9D5zjPA
Paul F - on 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

Papillon - on trial for the worst crime of all…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBthlVKgmU
MonkeyPuzzle - on 13 Oct 2013
In reply to BMrider:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> The Dude extinguishes the burning roach in his crotch with his beer, and then crashes his car into the dumpster. The Big Lebowski

This has me in fits of laughter every time I watch it.
Tom V - on 13 Oct 2013

Sharing the same actor in a very second fiddle role, the scene in Cutters Way where a pissed-up Alex wrecks his neighbour's car and talks his way out of it.
James B - on 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

Showing its age a little now but Hoskins' turn at the end of the Long Good Friday, as he's taken by the IRA and he realises he's a dead man, still stands up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9SG-zYvPjk
ena sharples - on 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: Final scene of "Wicker Man" when the police officer realises what is about to happen-chilling.
Paul F - on 15 Oct 2013
In reply to ena sharples:
> (In reply to Enty) Final scene of "Wicker Man"

That's not the scene I most remember from the original film :o)
ripper - on 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Paul F:
> (In reply to ena sharples)
> [...]
>
> That's not the scene I most remember from the original film :o)

me neither - although the one I assume you're talking about is spoiled slightly by the knowledge that a stunt-bum was used :(
puppythedog on 15 Oct 2013
In reply to ena sharples: There is something about Ewar WooWar singing that him that is haunting.
Daithi O Murchu - on 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

space marines landing on base in Aliens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.