UKC

Remembering what first inspired me into climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kris 09 Oct 2013
I remember as a kid watching from TV a French climbing documentary of a man and a woman (I think) climbing a long route, and as the exit from the route they climbed simultaneously to this balcony of a church or a castle and entered there.

I remember watching the program, not reading subtitling very well yet, mesmerised just staring at the climbers. I processed in my mind how would it feel, how dangerous was it, how did they do that... how could someone physically climb such overhangs and climb into a balcony at the end of all that (being the only thing shown in the scale / magnitude that I could understand)

Has anyone else seen this, is it on YouTube, I would love to see the program again... I am thinking now, was it something by one of the Patricks? Were they in Verdon?

I am curious, what inspired you to start dreaming about climbing?
 Blue Straggler 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Kris:

That was James Bond in For Your Eyes Only
OP Kris 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
Hahaha, I seem to remember rather unispiring climbing from that scene...
 Philo22 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Kris: vertical limit... saw it when very young and couldn't stop thinking about climbing for weeks...
 David Alcock 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Kris: I was inspired by my step-dad talking about Joe Brown and teaching me how to handjam aged 7 or 8 on Crickley Hill.
 Tom Valentine 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Kris:

Train spotting at Den Lane and finding the easy way down about the same time as Joe Brown was climbing Vector on telly. Shortly after came the Old Man and who couldn't have been hooked by then?
OP Kris 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:
I have always loved that photo of Joe Brown on the arete of Old Man!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...