UKC

Ski resort (other than cham) with decent climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tnj 09 Oct 2013
Hi,

Does anyone know of ski resorts with a decent climbing/bouldering wall nearby. Chamonix is the obvious one but I was wondering if there were others.

Cheers

Tom
 drolex 09 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj: Innsbruck? How much are you ready to travel?
 Ciro 09 Oct 2013
Courmayeur
 paulmck 09 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj: St Anton. Great skiing, fantastic partying and friendly people. Even has an outside ice wall if that takes your fancy.

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/sommer/sport-aktiv/arl.rock-a-state-of-t...

DaveHK 09 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj:

Val d'Isere has a wall.
OP tnj 10 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj:

Thanks for the ideas guys. Really want something easy driving distance e.g. 20 mins. I think Cham looks like the best bet.
 earlsdonwhu 10 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj: Flaine too..... not sure if it is decent but there was one.
graham F 10 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj: There's a huge new wall in Saxon which is only 20 minutes from le Chable/Verbier, Nendaz, etc.
http://www.vertic-halle.ch/en/
 Ian W 10 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj:

Grindelwald has on ok one in a sportscentre, and Interlaken has K44 Kletterhalle, which is ace.
 Toerag 10 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj: Saas-fee has an ice wall in the end of the massive underground carpark by xmas.
 Womble 10 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj:

I think val d has one.

Why do you want one there? I don't want to create an argument but if you are only there for a week of 2 then get as much skiing in as possible!! You can climb indoors any old time :p

If your going for a season then yeah it does make sense.
 Stairclimber 10 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj: Alpe d'Huez has quite a good bouldering cave and couldn't really be beaten for convenience in the resort. Lots of ice climbing nearby too.
OP tnj 11 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj:

Cheers for all the replies. Yep, will hopefully be out there for a couple of months so want to keep in shape!
 Dave Garnett 11 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj:

Vaujany has a big outdoor one. It also has nice swimming pool and ice rink and is pretty well-equipped all round for a small place. Well-connected to the big Alpe d'Huez ski area without the madness of Alpe d'Huex itself.
aligibb 12 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj:

Champery in the Portes du Soleil.
 timmyhobby 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Womble: the one in val is very poor. I was there for 5 months and went once
stuartmacdonald 13 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj: Another vote for Courmayeur. Great skiing and an awesome climbing wall. Big, steep, and quiet ! A roof unlike any wall I've seen before !!
 Dave Stelmach 23 Oct 2013
In reply to tnj: Val Gardena has a decent indoor climbing wall in the village
Kanobi 28 Oct 2013
Deux Alpes has a good wall and you can join the local club.

Plus La Grave is around the corner so if it's skiing you're after...
In reply to tnj: Tignes. The new tignespace building looks wicked, I haven't been yet but photos look great. Images on the website
 Denni 02 Nov 2013
In reply to tnj:

What sort of skiing are you looking for? If it were me and I wanted to be on the piste or cross country, I'd go to Oberstdorf on the German/Austrian border.

Bucketloads of skiing on different levels, cross country, winter via ferrata, decent wall and you're only an hour or so away from Innsbruck and Garmisch so bucketloads of winter mountaineering as well.

The town itself is small but really good and they always have the hill jumping there, excellent atmosphere and if you haven't any transport, fly to Munich and the train drops you right in the town.

Great place and underated probably because it doesn't have the kudos of big mountain resorts and your mates won't know where it is!

Hope this helps, Den

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...