UKC

Sir Please Turn off the Camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Henry Iddon 09 Oct 2013
As a plane comes into land...

"Sir, you must turn off all electronics."

"OK."

"Sir, please turn off the camera."

"Ma’am, it doesn’t turn off, and it doesn’t turn on."

http://appealtoemulsion.com/post/63527920887/sir-you-must-turn-off-all-elec...
 london_huddy 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Brilliant!
 dek 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon:
Thanks for the link to the website too!!
Removed User 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon:

haha reminds me when I came back through Rome and had the Linhof in my bag, x ray people pulled me over and I had to open it all up then told me to get a proper new camera
 Blue Straggler 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserHenry Iddon)
>
> x ray people pulled me over and I had to open it all up then told me to get a proper new camera

youtube.com/watch?v=HbUEtFCswoI&
Removed User 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

nice they just looked at me pityingly though
Removed User 11 Oct 2013

They were probably right, you can get one with millions of pixels for under a hundred quid....... and it will fit in your pocket.
 Sean Bell 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon: Love it
 Bimble 13 Oct 2013

Oooh, loads of megapixels, I bet that takes good photos. Said no proper photographer ever.
 wintertree 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon:

I've often wondered how much the rules around takeoff/landing are actually about encouraging passengers to maintain situational awareness to help with emergency situations.

For example BA now let you listen to their entertainment system during takeoff/landing, but not personal music players, and they insist you do it through their crap headphones, not - for example - in ear noise isolating headphones, or external noise cancelling headphones. So you still get PA announcements through those headphones, and you can still hear shouted instructions etc.

My pet theory anyhow. Also, if there is a dodgy landing a camera doesn't need to be electronic to become a basaltic object that will kill someone.

yorkshireman 13 Oct 2013
In reply to wintertree:

I think you might have a good point. A bit like how they never tell you that they're dimming the cabin lights at night so that your eyes are adjusted and you can see if we crash.

It was never based much on reality anyway and has now been proven to be mostly pointless.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/03/wifi-is-safe-on-planes

For a while now BA have let you use your mobile the second you touch down rather than after you've taxied to the gate.

Let's face it, if an electronic device left inadvertently on (which in a flight of a hundred passengers or more, there on average are bound to be a few) was so dangerous, surely they would make you check them at the door and turn them off.

I never fully switch off my laptop - just keep it in sleep mode which isn't really strictly according to the rules. I've left my mobile on by mistake before and had an old Android phone with an annoying button that I managed to turn on in mid-air in my pocket several times without it causing any problems.
 ChrisJD 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon:

This should explain everything:

youtube.com/watch?v=JYAq-7sOzXQ&
 Enty 13 Oct 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:
> (In reply to Henry Iddon)
>
> This should explain everything:
>
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=JYAq-7sOzXQ&

Brilliant brilliant brilliant - best rant ever!!!

E
 andrewmc 13 Oct 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:

It seems there have been cases of interference from electronic devices before though (albeit rarely) - apparently a DVD player was causing a 30 degree navigation error when switched on (which disappeared when switched off).
Removed User 14 Oct 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

I'm surprised I got a single bite with that
 Bimble 16 Oct 2013

I had something similar during an event job on Sunday whilst holding a 1D Mkiii, but it was more along the lines of "My iphone can do the same as that, and it fits in my pocket". Sure it can...
 patrick_b 17 Oct 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

Have you seen that new phone with a 41 megapixel sensor? Ridiculous.
 Kieran_John 17 Oct 2013
In reply to patrick_b:

But it's 41 Megapixels, that makes it twice as good as my D7000, anyone want to swap?
 aln 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Kieran_John:
> (In reply to patrick_b)
>
> But it's 41 Megapixels, that makes it twice as good as my D7000, anyone want to swap?

Sorry, I'm waiting for the next one. Yes, it's got 82 Megapixels.
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Kieran_John)
> [...]
>
> Sorry, I'm waiting for the next one. Yes, it's got 82 Megapixels.

just buy 2
 aln 17 Oct 2013
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: Why buy 2? The next one has 164.
In reply to aln: I ain't buying til they offer a 16 gigapixel option.
 patrick_b 17 Oct 2013
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

Exactly. I want to be able to print my blurry club pictures football-pitch sized.
Removed User 17 Oct 2013
In reply to patrick_b:
> (In reply to TryfAndy)
>
> Have you seen that new phone with a 41 megapixel sensor? Ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous at all.

It's a way of getting zoom with no fancy optics or actuator, you just crop.

The reviews of the image quality are very favourable btw, check out DPreview.
 patrick_b 17 Oct 2013

Good point. But what size are the files going to be? A little phone SD card is going to be full up in no time, reducing the whole point of it as a 'camera'.
 wintertree 17 Oct 2013
In reply to patrick_b:
> (In reply to Eric9Points)
>
> Good point. But what size are the files going to be? A little phone SD card is going to be full up in no time, reducing the whole point of it as a 'camera'.

It's all fine. Funnily enough people have thought about it. Resultion is dropped in live processing to improve signal on unzoomed images and pixels are dropped to produce zoomed images.

It's nothing scientific cameras haven't been doing for a decade or more, it's just packaged up in a consumer device. It's rather annoying, having to consider this philosophy has torpedoed my "merkerdroid driven excess of pixels making cameras worse" rant.
 MikeSP 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon: It saves a 38 mp and a 5 mp image. The smaller image uses oversampling to provide meta pixel for the smaller image. Not sure how big the files/ memory are. But it is an interesting idea, completely different to HTC'c attitude where they have used larger CCD with less pixels to allow more light into each one.
Removed User 17 Oct 2013
In reply to dapoy:

Here's the review I was talking about: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/4485507296/shootout-sonyxperiaz1-vs-nokia1...

Doesn't seem to mention file size though.

I'm of the opinion that most phone camera users don't need much over 3Mp. Most of them never crop the photos and only view them on a monitor with a resolution that's probably not much more than 3Mp anyway.
Removed User 17 Oct 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

Did you bite then as well?
 dek 17 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Removed UserTryfAndy)
>
> Did you bite then as well?

Oh aye...38 meg on a shitey wee phone cam lens, haud me back!...... I won't 'byte'
 Bimble 18 Oct 2013

It is tempting.
The best I had on a similar youth event job was a hanger-on with a bottom-of-the-range Nikon, shooting on full auto and couldn't work out why it wasn't working (lens cap was on), at the same time as telling me I didn't need to be there as the parents could take the same quality photos themselves (they can't).
 Thrudge 18 Oct 2013
In reply to wintertree:
> My pet theory anyhow. Also, if there is a dodgy landing a camera doesn't need to be electronic to become a basaltic object that will kill someone.

Yep, it's a well known fact that landing at high speed turns cameras into rocks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...