UKC

K2 Back Up Bargain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Slugain Howff 09 Oct 2013
Some good prices for K2 Touring skis here I see.

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/k2-skis-oct/mens-backup-2012-2013-skis-on...

S
birdman 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:

ARGGGHHHHH GOD DAMMIT!!! If i hadn't NOT been paid for the last 3 months i'd be able to afford this deal and be well set up for the winter season.... GUTTED!
macstinator 09 Oct 2013
In reply to birdman: I had a set - they are pish.
Slugain Howff 09 Oct 2013
In reply to macstinator:

I'm interested to know why you think they are pish.
macstinator 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff: too narrow, too soft. Great for going up, terrible in less than perfect snow going down.
 Cardi 09 Oct 2013
Cheers for the heads up. Just bought a pair of K2 hardsides probably for bashing down varied off piste conditions (crud), perhaps with a bit of casual skinning.
birdman 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Cardi:

yeah i was looking at the Hardsides / side stash / coombacks
 Al Todd 09 Oct 2013
In reply to macstinator: depends how good your skiing is ! I've a pair mounted with my tele set up and yes they're soft but they're no pish. Not as good as the Waybacks but the slightly narrower profile hasn't been a problem
macstinator 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff: I snapped a pair on Ben Lawers. Nabbed a pair of Hardsides - a great ski.

You are right tho - I am a pretty crap skier!
 niallk 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Todd:

I thought the Backups were meant to be stiffer than the Waybacks?
Slugain Howff 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:

I skied Back Ups for a couple of seasons which included some multi day Alpine tours and some steep stuff around Scotland. I know a bunch of others who have also skied them. Now while I've got to agree that opinions are a very subjective thing it's hard to believe anyone who had skied the Backup would mark it down as a pish ski.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
legali 23 Nov 2013
In reply to macstinator:

I'm just starting out in skiing backcountry / touring and am looking to buy my first pair of skis for the job. I have it down to K2 backups, sideshows or hardside. Did you look at 90mm skis when you were looking and did you consider the Sideshows? If so, just wondering what made you opt for the Hardsides.

I'm looking to combine with a Marker Baron binding, and hoping to have a setup that isn't too heavy and will let me have option of multi-day trips as well as a good fun ski for the downhill. Might be asking a bit though!

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Cheers,

Alistair
 DaveHK 23 Nov 2013
In reply to legali:

> I'm just starting out in skiing backcountry / touring and am looking to buy my first pair of skis for the job. I have it down to K2 backups, sideshows or hardside.

Sideshows and hardsides are very similar.

For my money a Hardside and Baron is too heavy for touring, certainly for multi day tours. I had that very set up and swapped the Baron for a dynafit.
macstinator 23 Nov 2013
In reply to legali:

Unless you are racing, I wouldn't let weight be too much of a concern. I picked Hardsides as they were purported to ski well. I have no idea how much they weigh.

I am around 100kg, so saving 300g isn't really a factor.

Hardsides have a metal laminate layer, giving a stiff ski. For me, the Backup was not enough ski. It may have been for others, though. My touring buddies all ski skis that ski well, even on multi-day tours, rather than superlite ones.
legali 23 Nov 2013
In reply to macstinator:

Thanks for advice! Great to hear from folk with experience of these skis. Interesting to hear views of the hardside baron combo. You've both been happy with the hardside though? I think I'd be keeping this for mainly touring, so think I'm not down to sideshows and hardside.

Is 300g the difference between the sideshow and hardside? Is that per ski? I've struggled to find details of weight.

Cheers.
 DaveHK 23 Nov 2013
In reply to legali:

There's not a definitive answer to the weight issue. I think HS + Baron is too much, others don't mind. Depends on preferences and exactly what kind of skiing you do. I carry mine quite a lot so maybe it's more of an issue for me. I saved close on 1.5 kg by ditching the Baron which made a huge difference to how willing I was to use the hardsides instead of my waybacks.

From what I can see sideshows and hardsides seem to be pretty much the same weight.

Either would make a good 'performance touring' ski where the emphasis is on the down.

Can you still find them in the right size? K2 seem to have dropped the SS and renamed the HS.
 DaveHK 23 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

The AMP Rictor seems to be the replacement for the SS in width anyway.
macstinator 30 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Yep, to be fair, I use Look/Plum Dynafaff bindings.

I just got hold of a pair of the brakes, which I think will kill me this season. Forward facing, under the toe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...