UKC

Telescopic walking pole as a crutch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 10 Oct 2013
Hi folks,
snapped my achilles and currently in plaster. That comes off next week and hopefully straight into an aircast boot.

I don't really want to be lumbered carrying a hospital crutch as I intend to weight bear on the boot and not use one but, I'm sure I may need to use one at some point so looking for a strong telescopic pole/crutch that would be suitable enough.

I want a telescopic one as I'm always out and about with my daughter so need something that can easily be packed away into my rucksack.

Thanks in advance, Den
Anyone any ideas? Ideally with a walking stick type handle rather than a standard walking pole one.
 Dan_S 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

Would a folding waking stick be suitable?

Something like

http://www.stickandcaneshop.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCCatalog.asp?catid=1776785
OP Denni 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Dan_S:

Hi mate,
thanks for that. Looks like it would do the job.
Cheers, Den
 Ridge 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

Interesting tip I got on a manual handling course was the best way to hold a walking stick is the opposite way to what you expect.

Not like this:
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/9351233/2/stock-photo-9351233...

Like this:
http://image1.masterfile.com/getImage/639-01327073em-An-elderly-man-holding...

Traditional way puts strain on the upper arm and shoulders, 'reverse' way transmits the load through the core muscles in the torso.
 Rob Naylor 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I had an aircast boot after an acilles/ peroneus op 3 or 4 years ago. I used (and needed!) a PAIR of crutches for the first few days before dropping to one crutch and then none....don't try to rush it. I did and set my recovery back a month!

I'm now suffering from knee damage (accident prone, me!) and on a recent trip to Paris decided to use a telescopic walking pole in place of a crutch. It wasn't a great idea as the ferrule on the end was really too small for good contact/ load distribution on slippery Parisian pavements. I was absolutely relieved to get home and drag one of my old achilles crutches out of the attic for use around town here when necessary. I'm weaning myself off it but it's SO much more stable and easy to get about with than a single walking pole was.
 Tom Valentine 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

Been using a telescopic walking stick for a month now and can confirm that it's much better than a trekking pole or even a fake Pyrenean shepherd's staff.
It's a rather dandyish paisley pattern and attracts all sorts of speculation about my manliness.
And, yes, you do hold it on the opposite side to the injured leg.
 Nutkey 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:
> Hi folks,
> snapped my achilles and currently in plaster. That comes off next week and hopefully straight into an aircast boot.
>
> I don't really want to be lumbered carrying a hospital crutch as I intend to weight bear on the boot and not use one but, I'm sure I may need to use one at some point so looking for a strong telescopic pole/crutch that would be suitable enough.
>
> I want a telescopic one as I'm always out and about with my daughter so need something that can easily be packed away into my rucksack.

I've been on crutches recently, and discovered that I can dangle them in the side webbing of my rucsac (and presumably many others) which makes stowing them away much easier. They don't even impinge on cycling when doing that.

Blue Straggler 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Nutkey:

I agree, I have been on standard hospital crutches twice and I did not find them to be any kind of burden. Also very handy in ensuring you can queue-jump onto EasyJet flights which is why I still have them 8 years later
 Timmd 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Nutkey)
>
> I agree, I have been on standard hospital crutches twice and I did not find them to be any kind of burden. Also very handy in ensuring you can queue-jump onto EasyJet flights which is why I still have them 8 years later

That's immoral on two levels. ()
OP Denni 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. Had the cast off today and now have the delight that is the air walker stormtrooper boot!

Have been weight bearing on it all day, a wee bit achy but from previous experience it is as I remember it and only hurts my achilles when I take it off to wash.

Have taken all your advice on board about keeping the hospital crutch and will keep that as that is what it is designed for so why not utilise it. Besides, it seems to be okay slotted down the side of my day sack and not as cumbersome as I thought I remembered it to be from my last snapped achilles.....

Thanks again, only 9 weeks in the boot and foot being released just in time for Christmas and baby number 2's due date!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...